Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #127

Stick framed, stucco exterior. 40 x 60 with twin 14 ft high doors. Have to be careful backing in because the openings are 12 ft wide-should have done 14 ft -maybe next one. Interior height 16 ft- not a lot of room to be on top of the coach inside the building-lol.
Coach sits on one side and takes up about 1/3 the space, rest is used for trailer, tractor, pickup, lawn mowers etc. Harley sits in the house garage along with wood working and mechanical/welding tools.
Can never make them big enough.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #128

Forgot the pic again dahhhhh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	55234  
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #129

Monaco Owners Club
The RV garage is 18 X 43 inside and is typical for this area. Wish I would have used a 14' door instead of the 13'. New MH is 12' 10" tall
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5127.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	55493  
Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #130

Monaco Owners Club
Just starting my new "RV Barn" it will be 30 X 50 with a 14 x 14 door and a 10 x 10 door in the end, Should be complete in about a month, the slab just got poured on Tuesday. The new house will be in Pipe Creek, Texas.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	706.5 KB
ID:	55495  
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #131

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats to you guys who have decided to build a barn. I love mine, and wish I had not waited (until 2010) to do it. We've lived here since 1996, and that's waay too long to do without.

Mine (pic near the beginning of this thread) is 36x48x16 ceiling. I went with 2 OHD's; one front, and one rear, for pull-thru. Front door is 14"x18' W, the rear is 14'Hx16'W.

Regarding A/C condensate drain; I slide a 5 gal bucket under mine, My basement A/C has a drain hose coming out under the rear of the unit. It's never overflowed before me emptying it, but I have thought of installing a hose fitting near the bottom of the bucket, and running a drain hose outside.

Wish I had a floor drain, but the permitting process would have become much more involved, as we are on septic, and it is waterfront property. They get all knarly about stuff like that.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #132

Do any of you gentleman know of the top of your head, what's the longest span you can run without having to put supports out in your floor. One your garages is 30X50 do you have any supports in the middle of your for to support your roof. It would be nice to have a wide open floor space. Does it Matter from state to state, county to County for your floor plans .
Donald'Dr.Don'Watkins
Master Sergeant USAF Ret
donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #133

Winnebago Owners Club
A friend up the street from me has just finalized his plans for a 40x42, and he asked his truss company that same question. I don't remember the exact answer, but I think the truss company told him they have built trusses for more than 65' clear span. He will not have no obstructions on his building, and I have none on my 36x48.

BTW, he will have an "attic storage" space, and his roof pitch, which HOA required to match his house, if only 5/12 pitch.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #134

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisZ View Post
Just starting my new "RV Barn" it will be 30 X 50 with a 14 x 14 door and a 10 x 10 door in the end, Should be complete in about a month, the slab just got poured on Tuesday. The new house will be in Pipe Creek, Texas.

Dennis
Nice looking slab! Looks like you had to move a lot of earth. I can't wait to get mine started. I'm having to wade through mounds of beaurocratic agencies due to this being a "metro" area and it's commercial property I'm building on.
I gotta have approval/permits from:
  • Metro building permit
  • Metro Sewer District
  • State capitol water department, due to being in "flood plain"
  • Public Works (who manage bus stops, etc)
  • Landscaping plan, Metro Planning/Design (its a pole barn hidden behind a commercial building on a gravel lot people!)
  • Local fire dept.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwat91 View Post
Do any of you gentleman know of the top of your head, what's the longest span you can run without having to put supports out in your floor. One your garages is 30X50 do you have any supports in the middle of your for to support your roof. It would be nice to have a wide open floor space. Does it Matter from state to state, county to County for your floor plans .
Donald'Dr.Don'Watkins
Master Sergeant USAF Ret
Ours is 80 X 80 free span. It is all wood trusses. The rafters are double two by twelves on 8 foot centers. The builder tells me they can go 100 feet wide easy with wood construction. And as Long as you want. Doors are 16 wide by 14 high with a 12 X 12 on the patio side. Side walls are 17 high with a 16 high celling. The roof with lean to is 96 feet wide.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1237
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	55554  
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #136
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donwat91 View Post
Donald'Dr.Don'Watkins
Master Sergeant USAF Ret
I would imagine location would have a everything to do with it, mine is the size your talking about (30X50) with a totally clear span. I'd have to dig into the records before I would say what the roof snow load is but it's a lot up here and mine was made to their heaviest requirement.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #137

Snow loading will drive absolute largest span, however, once the building code for snow loading is satisfied, there is little to limit free span. As KSKRUDE said, he's at 80 feet and his trusses are on 8' centers. Dropping this to closer spacing will allow you to go even greater spans. An engineering problem easily settled by any truss manufacturer. Our farm building is 42x96 but was only limited by how much I wanted to spend.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #138

Mine is kind of hard to see, as I'm parked right on top of it...

Old 02-09-2014, 06:26 AM   #139

You don't need posts if you build a pole or steel strand building. The trusses age free standing. Mine is 40x60x16. And I live in wv snow load is not a problem as long as you use the correct trusses.
brandonklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #140

National RV Owners Club
There are some really nice garages that everyone has posted. We just purchased our first MH and want to cover ours also. We have what I think is a pretty difficult spot to put ours, but I think I can work in a 16 x 40 next to our driveway. I might be able to get a couple more feet of width, but it would require a lot more digging. How many of you have 16' wide garages? Is that wide enough, or do you really wish you had gone with an 18'?