Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 05:34 AM   #211

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAinPA View Post
We looked at steel garages and settled for a pole barn. We will start construction in April. 20x51. 16' side walls with 12x14 door. I asked a lot of questions here while we were doing the specs. Bigger is better. If I had the room, I would still have gone wider. Doing 100 amp dedicated electrical service and water and sewer connection. Down the road, we will insulate and heat. For now, it's just the basics with a 6" stone base and 7" concrete floor with rebar and heavy psi concrete.

Nice!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #212

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAinPA View Post
We looked at steel garages and settled for a pole barn. We will start construction in April. 20x51. 16' side walls with 12x14 door. I asked a lot of questions here while we were doing the specs. Bigger is better. If I had the room, I would still have gone wider. Doing 100 amp dedicated electrical service and water and sewer connection. Down the road, we will insulate and heat. For now, it's just the basics with a 6" stone base and 7" concrete floor with rebar and heavy psi concrete.
Are you thinking in-floor heating?
Old 06-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #213

Finally, floor got poured and cut last week, 4' front apron yesterday. Went with a 6" floor and apron as it wasn't that much more. I will let it set for a few weeks before the RV finally goes in.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 PM   #214
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It almost seems like a shame to put something in it. Enjoy
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #215

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am considering building a pole barn behind my office building to store my Motorhome. It is a 34' National Seabreeze and is 11' 3" high. I would like to build one where I can store mine and rent out the other side to another Motorhome owner.
Now here is my dilemma. According to the township codes, I must stay under 1,000 square feet in order to avoid going through all kinds of water management restrictions. Anyone who has gone through that will tell you to stay away from that hassle.
So far I am considering building a 24’ X 40’ , with 14’ sides, with a concrete floor. My Amish friend ( who builds pole barns all over the north east) tells me that I should be able to get by with a 12’ high by 20’ door. That would be tight, real tight, but should work.
I always believed that you should go bigger than you think you need ( be it a garage, shed etc.), however this 1,000 sq foot limitation has me in a box, no pun intended.
I am hoping you guys (and gals) who have built one can give me some much needed advice.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #216

My DP coach needs absolute minimum of 12'3".
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #217

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
14 foot door. Our Journey would barely get in a 12 footer. In fact I think the antennas would be gone as well as the air horns.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #218

Winnebago Owners Club
I think you will regret installing a 12' high door, sooner than later. Build it with a 16' ceiling, even if just the center third of the ceiling, sloped down to 12' at the walls. That is how I did mine, but it is 36' wide. That gives me room to work on the roof, whenever I choose,, and a 13 or 14' tall door, so pretty much any RV will clear.

My door is 14' high, 16 wide. If you can't get approval for a 14' high door, get as close to that as you can. Many RV's need between 12' and 13'.

Do you think you could get a variance to build a little deeper? A 40' RV will not fit in a 40' building. In fact, I doubt a 38' will fit. Your walls thickness will make your inside dimensions 23 x 39, and most RV's are actually longer than their stated length. Mirrors, bike rack, tow bar, etc, all will become problems, and you need a little walk-around room.

Good luck with the project, and keep us posted on the progress.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #219

A 12' door may work, but will it work with your next RV? Ditto to the length comments. Maybe you can make one side longer than the other to meet SF limitations and give you some room to comfortably park your RV. Worse case the rental side will be shorter.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #220

I would definatly go with a 14' high door if your building a new barn trust me I learned the hard way. Also build it wide enough to put the slides out and be able to walk around it also consider floor drains so if it's plugged in and Ac on the condensation has a place to go
Old 08-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #221
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
14' min is what I would do on height and width.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #222

Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of good advice here on width and height.

Never heard of anyone who even hinted that they had built their shed too big. Lots of comments about not big enough. We built ours 36 X 72 and it quickly filled when the kids found out there was a place they could store their toys. Should have built is 40 X 80!!!

While the water managment issues may be a hassle it would be likely easier in the long run to go through the certification process than trying to fit a large motorhome into a small shed (or trying to upgrade later).

If it will be part of your office complex a shed that has gone through the process can only add value to your property.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #223

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If I have to go through the water management, they will not allow me to proceed. I don't have the room to deal with that issue.
Remember that I have to stay under the 1,000 sq' limit, or not build. I agree, bigger is better but I can't do that. When I built my home, I put a 3 car garage on it ( heated and AC) and love it. Also, this will be my last MH, so I know I will not go bigger. Also, I only use the Motor Home 4 or 5 times a year on long weekends.
The main reason I want to build this is because I can rent out the one side and have someone else pay for it in a few years.
Thanks for all the comments.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #224

Monaco Owners Club
Build two < 1000 ft square ?

And I get actually scared of anything approaching 13' in height much less 12' !!!

Your rv must have two short parents