Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I built this 10 years ago. 50X50, 2/12 interior ceiling, heat, bath w/shower. 18X13 door.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
RV side is 20' x 50', floor drains and epoxy paint on greenboard so coach can be washed inside. Shop side is 30' x 40'

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2285.jpg
Views:	2396
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	49721

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2290.jpg
Views:	2389
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	49722

nforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hugh View Post
Food for thought. I have gone the less costly fabric quonset building route. Dimensions are 48' L x 24' W x 18' H. Height at frame cross bars is ~ 16'. Rollup door is 12' W x 14' H. Anchored to gravel pad. No foundation required. Pedestrian doors at front and rear. Guaranteed for 15 years. Located in a protected area on our country yard amongst the trees. Permanent electrical pending although full light during the day. Easy access and all four slide-outs can be opened.
Seeing all nice garages... I am thinking to make a low cost one next to my house. What is the ballpark to make it up? I know I know it varies per locations etc etc... Yours is fabric, did you think about to make one with metal sheet topping?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #18

These are some great looking garages! I have a 16x50 pad with electric and water. I'm considering a carport over it to match the block and stucco house.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
KIX

Here's ours in Florida. Metal roof and sides. Open on both ends due to potential wind loading at our site. 16' x 46' x 11.5' at eaves.
Attached Images

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Here's ours in Florida. Metal roof and sides. Open on both ends due to potential wind loading at our site. 16' x 46' x 11.5' at eaves.
This looks good - simple and practical.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #21

42x96 farm equipment shed (metal skin over pole barn frame) with an 8' bump out so I can get the 43' Bus in. 4 bays with rolling doors on all bays, so the entire 96' side is accessible. Doors are all lockable, individually or together. Entry is 14' high clear and trusses give easy walking access to entire roof of rig. Floor in the bay where we keep the RV is 10" concrete and specially reinforced in wheel and jack area to easily support the 41,000 pound Bus. Building has 50A electric service for the Bus, full 220V power for welding, lots of ordinary receptacles for lights and other uses and air compressor. Storage shelves down side beside the rig to hold storage contents if/when we need to unload house or basement compartments. Sorry about no pictures.

You cannot make it too big.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #22

This is such a GREAT forum. I was discussing this very subject with a buddy today!! I've about got an idea what I want to build, dimensions, etc.

My question is: "What are we going to do about air circulation throughout our storage time? If both ends are closed, should we put a certain number of windows down each side and leave them open for circulation?

I don't see a lot of circulation considerations in some of these pics. Is it not a big deal?
Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Seeing all nice garages... I am thinking to make a low cost one next to my house. What is the ballpark to make it up? I know I know it varies per locations etc etc... Yours is fabric, did you think about to make one with metal sheet topping?
Hey Country,
Guess what? Not anybody wanting to tell you how much they spent.

I promise you, when I build the 'stall' that I have in mind I'll tell you exactly what it cost.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzer60 View Post

I don't see a lot of circulation considerations in some of these pics. Is it not a big deal?
Not really a concern in my climate but plenty of screened opening windows for cross ventilation. The big looking box in the upper left corner is a 50" exhaust fan with hand made plastic vent cover

Controlling any heat build up while in storage for the winter is not a problem

Opening in rear wall next to electrical panel for one of the two air conditioners, 3 roof fans and already mentioned windows and exhaust fan. Not the best picture but the only one
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Not really a concern in my climate but plenty of screened opening windows for cross ventilation. The big looking box in the upper left corner is a 50" exhaust fan with hand made plastic vent cover

Controlling any heat build up while in storage for the winter is not a problem

Opening in rear wall next to electrical panel for one of the two air conditioners, 3 roof fans and already mentioned windows and exhaust fan. Not the best picture but the only one
Nice!!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Howdy camper, FYI.

Just be sure to order at least a 14 foot roll up even if you do have basement air!! We'll probably build a pole barn next to the machine shop to keep the sun from cooking the clear coat off our old girl...
Hey Ron,
Just back up REAL FAST! It will be just fine! Just kidding. Anyway, it's too bad you can't do like we discussed and simply "ramp in and out", to create enough clearance for you to make it in and out of the shop. Especially since that shop is large enough to handle the full length, if I recall. But, if your were to cut out the concrete and create ramps, they'd have to be long enough to that there's no chance of touching the header while backing in or driving out.

You could also do what we did, it's cheap and seriously quick to do.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #27

I have several neighbors that have stucco over concrete block coach garages and a few that had them built into their homes when they were built. They all look great, like those shown here. I just can't get past the costs. One neighbor's is 50x20 with a couple windows. It looks great, but nothing fancy. He paid $55K! That seems extreme.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #28

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Doc Hugh
Food for thought. I have gone the less costly fabric quonset building route. Dimensions are 48' L x 24' W x 18' H. Height at frame cross bars is ~ 16'. Rollup door is 12' W x 14' H. Anchored to gravel pad. No foundation required. Pedestrian doors at front and rear. Guaranteed for 15 years. Located in a protected area on our country yard amongst the trees. Permanent electrical pending although full light during the day. Easy access and all four slide-outs can be opened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post

CountryFit

I absolutely agree, the garages shared on this thread are awesome!
In our climate in Manitoba, Canada, with warm to hot summers with lots of sun and cold winters with abundant snow, we wanted a fully enclosed structure. We did explore other options including S & B, machine sheds and sheet metal quonsets. In our area a substantial foundation (possibly with a concrete pad) would be required for most such "permanent" buildings. Our PQB is considered "portable" and does not require a foundation. Frankly, our main consideration in settling on the fabric building was cost. It serves the purpose well and other similar buildings in our area appear to be standing up well. The cost including installation was $13,000. A sectional garage door can be installed to replace the rollup door but that would add $1500 - $2000 to the cost.
As mentioned previously, ventilation/condensation is indeed a consideration. Vents are installed at both ends and the pedestrian doors can be left open as required. We have a large fan running 3 seasons as necessary to provide constant air circulation.
Good luck in your deliberations!

Hugh