Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
Can't remember if I posted in "this" garage thread...

Mine is supposed to be started the first week of December by Morton. 30x50x16 with a 20x14 door. Full insulation, concrete floor.

Currently working with power company to figure out how much getting power to it will cost. If it is too much, it will remain a dark building til late spring as the building is already near the top of the cash we had budgeted. We will see.

Attachment 111423

The weather hasn't cooperated, so no ground breaking yet. Unfortunately that adds money, cause I keep making adds / changes.

Will now have all electrical done during construction and as of today a 12'x50' porch (I call it a lean to) on the left side.

Current start date with the changes is Feb 15.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #310

Nor'easters Club
I'm currently in the early stages of building a coach garage. Mine needs to be 40 wide by 60 deep, insulated and heated.
My question is this: How did you go about finding the right building and/or installer? How did you price it? Did you send out specs for bid to multiple vendors or settle on one because of quality reputation?
My inclination is to write up a quick summary and send it to as many builders as possible, but then there's the reputation angle that I can't ignore.
Like everyone, I want the best building and construction for the lowest cost. I realize you can't always get that, but I can't blindly pick a builder and go either. Any help is appreciated. I am in South Eastern NY.
Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #311

I settled on Morton pretty quickly after pricing a few of the "Carport" type garages that are built with 2x2 metal tubing. The few quotes I received were in the high 20s to mod 30s for a building smaller than the 30x50 we ended up going with. Also a few other points...

1. A local friend of mine had his carport style held up by his coach after a moderate central NC snow storm.
2. I have been around allot of Morton buildings in my life and they all seem to be built well and hold up great over the years.

Had I not wanted a completely enclosed space, I would have went with a carport type structure. However, I wanted it insulated and enclosed so I decided after a few quotes to go with Morton.

I went to their local sales office and worked with them to create the building I wanted within my budget. I knew the basic size, but they helped optimization the size and cost and made some recommendations that cost a little more and some that saved me some money.

Good luck in your process.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #312

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
to RVRON,
I had an Amish company build my 26' X 38' pole barn. (I had to stay under 1,000 sq feet to avoid doing storm water management issues) They are from Lancaster county Pa but build all over the north east. After I had the excavation done, the pole barn was put up and completed in 2 1/2 days. Incredible These guys would most certainly not qualify to be state highway workers as I never saw them take even a 2 minute break. Every move they make is towards completing the job in the shortest time possible. It's no wonder no one else could come near their price.

Took another week until the floor was poured, the Electric was run and the door opener was installed. I am in for just under $20,000 with everything and am very happy I used them for the build. You can go on you tube and search CHA pole barns to see what they do.

If you PM me with your number and email address I will be glad to call you and send you the pictures of mine and their contact numbers. They do go to NY also.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #313

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I happened to talk with the guy who built my Pole Barn today and I mentioned that someone from NY wanted to build one. He no longer will send his crew to build in the state of New York.
He said the rules and restrictions make it too tough to do business there.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:31 PM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
to RVRON,
I had an Amish company build my 26' X 38' pole barn. (I had to stay under 1,000 sq feet to avoid doing storm water management issues) They are from Lancaster county Pa but build all over the north east. After I had the excavation done, the pole barn was put up and completed in 2 1/2 days. Incredible These guys would most certainly not qualify to be state highway workers as I never saw them take even a 2 minute break. Every move they make is towards completing the job in the shortest time possible. It's no wonder no one else could come near their price.

Took another week until the floor was poured, the Electric was run and the door opener was installed. I am in for just under $20,000 with everything and am very happy I used them for the build. You can go on you tube and search CHA pole barns to see what they do.

If you PM me with your number and email address I will be glad to call you and send you the pictures of mine and their contact numbers. They do go to NY also.
You guys with access to the Amish are lucky. They do great work and are much cheaper than it cost to get a coach garage built around here.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #315

Here is the latest rendering. Start date is now expected to be Feb 15.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1453058058.579537.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	116709
Old 01-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #316
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the worst parts is the wait.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #317

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
We don't have property to put up a garage in our suburban location so we use GK Polishing's climate controlled facility to garage our mortorhome. They also provide detailing services.Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuscany stored.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	116736
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #318

head gamez What size will your building be? Morton builds a nice building.
sims5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #319

It is 30x50x16 with a 12' wide "porch" that runs the full 50' length. The door is 20x14.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #320

That will be nice. Please post some pics once you start construction. I have a friend that is planning almost the same size without the porch.
In case you haven't looked at it you might want to check out the forum garagejournal.com. Great place to get ideas with lots of builds from start to finish. My building is on there.
sims5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:03 AM   #321

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
I have the same problem not enough room to build I am looking for a place to rent.
I would like to know what are you paying for your rental space.

We don't have property to put up a garage in our suburban location so we use GK Polishing's climate controlled facility to garage ourmortorhome. They also provide detailing services.Attachment 116736 (http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116736)
cronauerdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #322

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
cost is $5.50 per sq.ft. for 6 months at GK Polishing
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote