Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #351

Scotty....
We are at 5700 ft in Elko...actually 20 outside of town called Lamoille at the base of the Ruby Mtns ...got soooooo tired of Socal and had to make a move to maintain our sanity. ..gentleman farmer now.....more or less! ....

Still have many ties in San Diego so was able to keep a very small place there...

Ever along I80 in Elko area stop in...full HU outside the barn. ..

sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #352

sd1209. Looks very nice!

Old 02-25-2016, 10:30 PM   #353

I posted the pics a few weeks ago of my new barn but thought some of you maybe interested in the time lapse video's I made while it was being put up.

https://youtu.be/RADUJQ-d8j8

https://youtu.be/JfDpt0Jb_Qs

https://youtu.be/_RqkNNB_W7o

https://youtu.be/VKScYhVsnMI
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:22 AM   #354

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice videos. Wow--a 3-bay!
Old 02-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #355

Freightliner Owners Club
You know????......No matter how hard you plan.....your shop is just never big enough?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6100.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	473.6 KB
ID:	119904  
Old 02-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #356

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
No thrills here in Denton, Tx. $100 a month with 15 amp service. Just enough room for a 45 footer.
I am in awe of some of the garages shown here...
Royals, even for your no frills in THAT neck of the woods, that's a bargain !
MOST of our 44 footer is covered...I just haven't got the guts to back it in yet
since facing west though, I didn't want the windshield to get the brunt of it..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alvarado-20150503-00919.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	119908  
Old 02-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #357

American Coach Owners Club
Where in denton? I am in plano with a 40' dream. I am looking for a storage site.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #358

our shop

Here's our shop. 30'w x 40'l, 20'w x 14'h door. Insulated. Half bath. Holds RV (barely) and tow car. Make it bigger than you think you'll need because it's never big enough.

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	119975
Old 02-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #359

The two biggest mistakes I've seen on RV Garages is door height and length.

I cannot believe that builders think a 12' tall door is enough for a RV garage. They are just idiots if they think that. 14' is the minimum height as we all know.

I shake my head when a builders makes the length 40' because a 40' coach won't fit. Make the inside a multiple of 16" and always be over 40' or 45'. That would make it 41' 4" or 46' 8" the minimum I'd EVER make the length.

Width should never be less than 14' with a 12' door and then only if you never ever want to open your slides. I'd make the inside at least 20' and more if you have the room.

If you're building with the gable end where the door is, always leave extra room for both the front and back. A gable end building is fairly easy to add length to.

My dream garage would be attached to the house. The house would be two stories both floors having at least 9' ceilings and a full foot thick second floor.

With the RV garage attached and it's floor a foot below the main level that would give it a 20' ceiling height so you could stand on the roof of a 13'6 6" coach. The width would be at least 24' and the length at least 55. Even if it wasn't a drive thought I'd have a standard 8' roll up door in the back.

I'd also run a 3' wide catwalk around at least one side of the garage so you could walk out of the second floor and onto the catwalk then drop a bridge onto the roof of the coach. That way you have easy access to the coach roof for maintenance.

I might even waterproof waterproof all the walls and have a floor drain so you could wash the coach indoors.

Lastly I would have a winch rail attached to the ceiling so you could not only run a winch from front to back but attach a safety line to it as well. Now that's an RV garage
Old 02-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #360

Timon. Post some pics of it. That be nice to see.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #361

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1209 View Post
Some additional pictures....Do not have many of the inside....Pole barn and am pleased with the const and insulation.....Even at minus 5 or so a few weeks back inside never got below 32 without the heater, which is large but uses a lot of propane.....Drive thru 14x12 doors on each end....
ditto's on the WOW!
5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
ditto's on the WOW!
As soon as my dream becomes reality.

The funny thing is that the regular garage plus the RV garage would be close to the same total square footage

Found this one but it wasn't what I though it was. Still the basic idea is good. I'd like something like this where almost the entire house is on the upper level and only an entry is on the lower level. That way it's almost like single story living plus the features my DW likes with two story house.

I think one could basically start with just about any single story floor plan and work from there. Oh, if one wants to be silly it would be fun to add a fire poll

Old 02-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #363

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just a plain 'ol Carolina Carport...I love the building!

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:26 AM   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
The two biggest mistakes I've seen on RV Garages is door height and length.

I cannot believe that builders think a 12' tall door is enough for a RV garage. They are just idiots if they think that. 14' is the minimum height as we all know.

I shake my head when a builders makes the length 40' because a 40' coach won't fit. Make the inside a multiple of 16" and always be over 40' or 45'. That would make it 41' 4" or 46' 8" the minimum I'd EVER make the length.

Width should never be less than 14' with a 12' door and then only if you never ever want to open your slides. I'd make the inside at least 20' and more if you have the room.

If you're building with the gable end where the door is, always leave extra room for both the front and back. A gable end building is fairly easy to add length to.

Food for thought:
Maybe if someone builds a 40' long building they don't plan on putting a 40' RV in it. That is my case, I have no intention of buying an RV longer than the one I have now. However, there is enough room so I could go with another 18" in length if I choose to do so. That would be an RV a bit over 38' in length.
Also, many folks have limited space on which to build, so that influences size.
Additionally, finances are a big factor with most people.
What one person perceives as mistakes may very well be intentional design based on that individual's needs.
I say build whatever works for one's particular situation, whether it's a carport type or 10,000 sq ft mega-shop.