Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 06:01 PM  

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=WeBRVing;2957103]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
The two biggest mistakes I've seen on RV Garages is door height and length.

Food for thought:
Maybe if someone builds a 40' long building they don't plan on putting a 40' RV in it. That is my case, I have no intention of buying an RV longer than the one I have now. However, there is enough room so I could go with another 18" in length if I choose to do so. That would be an RV a bit over 38' in length.
Also, many folks have limited space on which to build, so that influences size.
Additionally, finances are a big factor with most people.
What one person perceives as mistakes may very well be intentional design based on that individual's needs.
I say build whatever works for one's particular situation, whether it's a carport type or 10,000 sq ft mega-shop.
I don't think you understand where Timon was coming from. Of course if you can't build a shop based on all those events you mentioned (not enough room, limited space, finances etc).....then you can't!! But if you are only building a shop to your present RV situation not based on anything else, then you may be losing a buyer who does own a 42'er. By that I mean when you build a house, shop, barn, garage, etc. your building for the next guy!! By the way, today you say your happy with your RV, tomorrow you may find your heart pounding for a 40+diesel pusher. We are all in constant change. (See my post above.....)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 08:39 PM  

That's why my shop/RV storage is 96' long. Anything legal going down the road will fit. Not just an RV but maybe the next owner will have a semi and a 53' trailer. More potential buyers makes selling it someday easier and more $

Old 02-29-2016, 05:54 PM  

Winnebago Owners Club
When we were planning our shed I spoke with the next door neighbor who had just finished building a pole shed. It was build 36 x 36 with two 12' wide doors. First thing his wife said was it was not built long enough. Shortly after they finished they started considering a bigger MH. The shop fit their current class C but no extra length.

So I built our shed 36 x 72. We have a 41 5er and truck so the length was about 60. Lots of room right? Not so fast. 10 years later we decided to buy a MH and stacker. Plus in the interim the kids saw the shed and in their small voices while on their best behavior they wheedled space for their trailers and toys. So we are full up. Length is just right for the MH and stacker but could use more space.

Sigh!!!
Old 03-01-2016, 08:14 AM  

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Comfort

Well it may not be a garage but the parent company of the company I work for has over 200 commercial properties in the area. During the summer she is outside with 50 amp power in a secure lot. Washing connection right next to her...so she is cleaned each and every trip...we installed a sanitary station for sewer....

During the winter she is inside in heated and cooled garage building so that she is out of the snow and ice...and easy to clean her and the trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150919_090630_resized.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	120221   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150919_090637_resized.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	120222  

Name:	IMG_3023.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	120223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3027.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	120224  

Old 03-01-2016, 11:03 AM  

The guys are here today finishing the site prep. The Morton project manager says they will most likely be out in the middle of next week to start building (weather depending).

I'm ready.... And the new RV is ready!
Old 03-01-2016, 03:59 PM  

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
As soon as my dream becomes reality.

The funny thing is that the regular garage plus the RV garage would be close to the same total square footage

Found this one but it wasn't what I though it was. Still the basic idea is good. I'd like something like this where almost the entire house is on the upper level and only an entry is on the lower level. That way it's almost like single story living plus the features my DW likes with two story house.

I think one could basically start with just about any single story floor plan and work from there. Oh, if one wants to be silly it would be fun to add a fire poll

The DW and I have been looking at motorhome houses/communities online for several years now, and have never seen one as nice as this one. Where is this located if I may ask?
Old 03-02-2016, 06:54 AM  

It's coming along!

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1456923239.553246.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	120331
Old 03-02-2016, 03:06 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
The DW and I have been looking at motorhome houses/communities online for several years now, and have never seen one as nice as this one. Where is this located if I may ask?
It's in Colorado. It's possible that they "Might" consider selling the plans to a builder outside of their area.

Hunter Homes is proud to present the Veranda, a semi-custom home with an attached RV Garage!
Old 03-04-2016, 05:31 AM  

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
It's in Colorado. It's possible that they "Might" consider selling the plans to a builder outside of their area.

Hunter Homes is proud to present the Veranda, a semi-custom home with an attached RV Garage!
Thank you .
Old 03-17-2016, 06:36 AM  

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm getting architectural drawings now for a home build, with an RV garage. It'll be 55' x 15', with 14' height door. Wish I could go 60 x 20, but that's all that this lot and home can accommodate.

The lot appears to have a slight grade from the street, but it's hard to tell with it being a grassy area currently.

What do I tell the builder in terms of the grade from street to driveway? Other than telling him to make the transition as moderate as possible, is there an angle or something I should write into the contract?

Also--other than "thick concrete" what specs do I need to require for a 42' DP for the driveway and garage floor?? I'm sure the usual home driveway isn't enough, but is it purely going from 4" to 8"? Or is there a different grade or type of concrete??
Old 03-17-2016, 07:04 AM  

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I'm getting architectural drawings now for a home build, with an RV garage. It'll be 55' x 15', with 14' height door. Wish I could go 60 x 20, but that's all that this lot and home can accommodate.

The lot appears to have a slight grade from the street, but it's hard to tell with it being a grassy area currently.

What do I tell the builder in terms of the grade from street to driveway? Other than telling him to make the transition as moderate as possible, is there an angle or something I should write into the contract?

Also--other than "thick concrete" what specs do I need to require for a 42' DP for the driveway and garage floor?? I'm sure the usual home driveway isn't enough, but is it purely going from 4" to 8"? Or is there a different grade or type of concrete??
First Congrats! You will love having your coach parked in a garage. The width is the only thing I would question on the specs. Ours is 18' wide and I would not want it any less. If you choose to store it with the slides out you may want to consider an extra 3-5'. Also, we went with 5000 psi concrete and used heavy street grade wire mesh. Just make sure your concert guy has worked with 5000 psi before.
Good luck! It will put a smile on your face every time you walk into your garage and see your rig parked inside.
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
Old 03-17-2016, 07:55 AM  

The base under the concrete is more important than the thickness of the concrete. A 14'x14' door would make your life easier. My doors are 16' and I like them. Go as big as you can. If outside measurements are 15' then your inside dimensions will be less. You won't be able to access your basement compartments very easily.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:12 AM  

If there is anyway to pick up a couple feet on the width try to get it even if the side yards go to the typical 5' minimum. If you need backyard access then put a 8' high, your choice on width, rollup door in the back of the RV garage that goes straight up the wall.

If you can't get any more width the think about having as wide an opening between the RV and car garages, like the whole wall. This will require a very large header but it will give you more room to work most of the DS of the coach.

Lastly, think about a sprinkler system in the garages and maybe the whole house. They don't cost that much if designed in up front and they could save your house if you ever had an RV or any fire.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:12 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims5 View Post
The base under the concrete is more important than the thickness of the concrete. A 14'x14' door would make your life easier. My doors are 16' and I like them. Go as big as you can. If outside measurements are 15' then your inside dimensions will be less. You won't be able to access your basement compartments very easily.

I second the at least 14x14, that is what I did after fighting 14x12 doors at the storage site I used before putting up my 48x48 building.

As others have said the concrete depth will be dictated by what your base is, for us the ground is mostly sand and clay so 5" worked out great.

Shaun