Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #379

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Thanks guys. I guess I will have to give my builder weights and then tell him to make the concrete acceptable. I won't know what the base is, or what would be a good one anyway!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 12:40 AM   #380

[QUOTE=csrrsr;2957451]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBRVing View Post

I don't think you understand where Timon was coming from. Of course if you can't build a shop based on all those events you mentioned (not enough room, limited space, finances etc).....then you can't!! But if you are only building a shop to your present RV situation not based on anything else, then you may be losing a buyer who does own a 42'er. By that I mean when you build a house, shop, barn, garage, etc. your building for the next guy!! By the way, today you say your happy with your RV, tomorrow you may find your heart pounding for a 40+diesel pusher. We are all in constant change. (See my post above.....)
I didn't build my house and shop for "the next guy", I built them for me.
Also, I have no desire to own a diesel pusher; they're noisy, expensive to maintain and smelly. I'll take a gas coach over a diesel any day.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #381

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Amen to that! I have been told several times "You don't want to buy that car. The resale value will be better if you buy that other one!" and the same thing with houses. I have always bought what I wanted with no consideration at all to resale. I don't buy a car to sell it, and I don't buy or build a house or building to sell it. If the time does come that I want to sell it, I am not all that unusual ...if it meets my needs, it will meet someone else's needs. That has worked for me so far, so I doubt I will change.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #382

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=WeBRVing;2982048]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post

Also, I have no desire to own a diesel pusher; they're noisy, expensive to maintain and smelly. I'll take a gas coach over a diesel any day.
Ok...Ok...don't get so defensive. Build for yourself and own the RV of your choice. Timons was only commenting on what he would build in a "perfect world". If you prefer a smaller shop for a smaller RV...it's your personal choice. It's America!! Maybe I should have stated to build to your personal needs.....with the next guy in mind. If that still irritates you then keep in mind.....it's only an opinion. Have a happy life!!!
Old 03-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #383

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
18x42 with solar curtain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1458331175334.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	121712  
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #384

[QUOTE=csrrsr;2982475]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBRVing View Post

Ok...Ok...don't get so defensive. Build for yourself and own the RV of your choice. Timons was only commenting on what he would build in a "perfect world". If you prefer a smaller shop for a smaller RV...it's your personal choice. It's America!! Maybe I should have stated to build to your personal needs.....with the next guy in mind. If that still irritates you then keep in mind.....it's only an opinion. Have a happy life!!!

Nope, didn't build it for my needs "with the other guy in mind".
I built it for my needs only. Don't care about "the other guy".
Life is good.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:03 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
18x42 with solar curtain.
I like it.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #386

Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=WeBRVing;2982822]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post

Nope, didn't build it for my needs "with the other guy in mind".
I built it for my needs only. Don't care about "the other guy".
Life is good.
I'm with WeBRVing onn this. You may not care about the other guy, but trust me, you will care when it comes time to sell, if a good buyer walks away for a reason that could easily have been resolved in the first place. You may not care about selling right now, but some day you will.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #387

Me thinks quotes got mixed up somehow.
I'm the one that doesn't care about "the other guy". If I ever decide to sell, my shop can be used for RV storage or a really kick **s workshop, it even has a half bath.
Lovin' life.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #388

Winnebago Owners Club
Well there is the occasional case of the fellow who will look at the shed and say "way too large", lets keep looking.

which reminds me of the joke about the old fellow who was looking forward to his 50 anniversary.

He was going to take his bride of 50 years back to the hotel they honeymooned in and sit on the side of the bed crying "Its too big, Its too big!".
Old 03-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Amen to that! I have been told several times "You don't want to buy that car. The resale value will be better if you buy that other one!" and the same thing with houses. I have always bought what I wanted with no consideration at all to resale. I don't buy a car to sell it, and I don't buy or build a house or building to sell it. If the time does come that I want to sell it, I am not all that unusual ...if it meets my needs, it will meet someone else's needs. That has worked for me so far, so I doubt I will change.

Well said!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #390

I have been watching this thread for months now and finally starting the design of ours. Hoping to have one that matches the house look like many have posted, but haven't seen the price yet, so could be sticker shock. Can always downgrade to a simple steel or frame building if cost dictates. The two best things I have learned from others here so far are the sidewall lights and a wider door opening. I'll keep the thread posted as things progress.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #391

After nearly 60 years of owning vehicles and garages to put them in, I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as being too big. For years my son had a 20x30 converted shed for his shop. It was always cramped for the projects he had. A couple years ago, he build a shop/RV/boat/lawn tractor storage building. It is 80x110 with a wall down the center creating two sides of 40x110. I thought that it was way too large and impractical. He has proved me wrong. On one side he can drive his 45' MH and 30' trailer in one end and out the other. It also houses the pontoon boat, lawn equipment and a couple of extra freezers. Full sewer, water and hookups for the MH too. The other side has a complete shop with hoist, welders, compressor, and enough space for a car, truck and my Jeep when we are home. With the heated floors, bathroom, and kitchen, it's a nice place to work on any project with plenty of space to move around. Plus, he never has to winterize the coach or boat. They are always ready to go. I wouldn't have built it, but I'm sure glad he did, as I get to use it as my own when I need to work on one of my toys.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #392

Here is our

Moved in 2 years ago. Love having the rv at the house rather than storage. Garage door is 12x14. Wish it was 14x14. Have full hook up in the garage.