Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #505

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Interesting idea. What would you do to be able to run the genny inside?
My RV bay has one wall on the outside. I put a port in the wall and slide a straight, larger diameter five foot pipe from the generator exhaust pipe to the outside. I seal it at the generator exhaust with a piece of metal duct sealing tape. Works fine and I can run the generator every two or three weeks to exercise it or run it for hours to recharge the RV batteries in case of a winter power failure.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #506

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
Understand that this is strictly conversation and not suggesting anyone do this. I'm certainly not qualified to make any recommendations for installing exhaust systems to run diesel engines/boilers indoors... but I saw that Dennis had apparently put a lot of thought into his garage, room to have slides out and an in-floor dump and fresh water station as if he is camping inside the garage, it got me thinking that perhaps he had that worked out too. After all... Dennis is Navy (thank you for your service) and his coach garage reminds me of the hangar deck of an aircraft carrier... I thought maybe he had an exhaust venting system too.

We're still a good 3 - 4 weeks away from having heat and plumbing functioning in our new home. Should have electric in the next 2 weeks, PV array, charge controller and inverter are all installed and the batteries are coming next week. We've been living in the coach in the middle of construction madness for the past 7 months and the mountain snows could be upon us at any time now. If there was a safe and cost effective way to move the coach inside that would allow the genny and AquaHot to run it would probably be a good idea. The original plan would have been fine had the building shell construction not been 2 months behind schedule.
Unless there is a storm and the power is out there should be no reason to run the generator or aqua hot on diesel. Plugged in the aqua hot will provide reasonably adequate hot water and the A/C etc can be run if required.

For the few times the power is out and the generator needs to be run opening the doors will suffice to be adequate. Or run the coach outside.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #507
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/rv-in...ng-106725.html
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #508

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
That is one beauty of a garage Dennis. Looks like you are fully set up inside with the water and dump built into the floor. Did you make any provision for exhaust tubes from the genny or AquaHot to run them inside?
Exhaust tube for exercising the generator monthly
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #509

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Unless there is a storm and the power is out there should be no reason to run the generator or aqua hot on diesel. Plugged in the aqua hot will provide reasonably adequate hot water and the A/C etc can be run if required.

For the few times the power is out and the generator needs to be run opening the doors will suffice to be adequate. Or run the coach outside.
Installing 22kw standby generator for the few times we loose power, won't need coach generator.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #510
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Installing 22kw standby generator for the few times we loose power, won't need coach generator.
I love the sound of that
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #511

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

We're still under construction of our new home/shop/coach garage, which is off grid so storms won't cause power outages once we have all systems up and running. Assuming everything goes perfect, which is an unreasonable expectation when building, we should be far enough along to have power, heat and running water in about a month. Being in the mountains at 8,000 ft the weather is going to throw us some cold and snow really soon. So I'm just trying to think through all possible options. One of which may be to return to what we used to do years ago when we winter camped in a pop up. Or perhaps an exhaust extension system with several well placed CO detectors? Not sure, wondering if anyone else has tried something similar.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddangelo View Post
Attachment 142944

Just enough room for our Discovery

We are in a suburban subdivision so needed to try to blend in
Thank you for posting this picture. My wife and I are going through the same process of trying to meet local building codes for heights. In one community, you are limited to a roof height of 14 feet for an unattached building, which obviously is an issue for a 14 foot high door. However, for an attached garage, there is a 25 foot limit.

Your picture is a sampling of door heights and appearance as an attached garage. I respectfully ask for more details: 1) door heights and widths of the two doors shown, 2) more photos please? from further back, including the house and also inside the garages?
Old 10-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #513

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
100' x 60', just started outfitting the building beginning with a new coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1452.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	143037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	143038  

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	143039  
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #514

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
A pantry full of food, a couple cords of firewood and you are set for comfort in any conditions.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:05 AM   #515

Alpine Owners Club
You are all dangerous!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #516

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
A pantry full of food, a couple cords of firewood and you are set for comfort in any conditions.
Plenty of both on hand.

We don't wait for power outage to use the fireplaces. DW loves having a fire on cold nights.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #517

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bydnar View Post
Thank you for posting this picture. My wife and I are going through the same process of trying to meet local building codes for heights. In one community, you are limited to a roof height of 14 feet for an unattached building, which obviously is an issue for a 14 foot high door. However, for an attached garage, there is a 25 foot limit.

Your picture is a sampling of door heights and appearance as an attached garage. I respectfully ask for more details: 1) door heights and widths of the two doors shown, 2) more photos please? from further back, including the house and also inside the garages?

RV door 11'w x 13'h

Other doors 9' x 9'

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477881148.058441.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	143110
jddangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:43 PM   #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
My way to take care of exhaust fumes was this 2300 CFM exhaust fan, of course it not only removes all exhaust fumes but all the AC and heat as well in very short order.
What's needed is an heat exchanger similar to what they use in new almost air tight homes. You can recover up to 90 to 95% of the heat or cold while exchanging the air. They actually are not that hard to build.