Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
A friends Eagle bus conversion has a great toolbox - built-in!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312 (1).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	143556  
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
It's amazing isn't it, when you finally get your MH the things you want to do to make it yours. A lot of fun actually. But then there's the practical "what if's" that come up in your mind. So being prepared for those "what if's" is on my mind right now. "What if's" will usually always require tools or other accessories to address/fix the problem. So right now I'm thinking about what tools I might need, how I'll organize & keep them and how & where I'd store them. I'd like to see your tool box setup to get some ideas? "Let's see your tool box" means pictures please.
marjoa,
Well, as you can see, there's lots of "DYI" types out there and, are mostly prepared for at least the "general" breakdowns/fixes/alterations/"what ifs" and more. Withing reason, most of of those types, carry a fair array of general tools. Most of the time, if something breaks that requires tools that are more powerful, larger, or more involved, that kind of stuff is usually not fixed on the road anyway unless the coach is either towed or a mobile tech is dispatched.

But, it's nice to think you/I, anyone who is handy with tools, can at least be somewhat prepared. Below is what I've done and, how I've set things up.
Scott

P.S. Well, I went to post pics but, the host site "Photobucket" is down for maintenance at this minute so, no pics.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdock View Post
I have elect meter - tv cable tester- ful set mechanic tools
I see your door is holding many bottles. How did you attach the bracket to the door? Mine seems so light, I can't imagine theres plywood inside or maybe there is???
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdock View Post
I have elect meter - tv cable tester- ful set mechanic tools
Hey doc,
Yeah looking at your picture, that tool box has to weight quite a bit and I was kinda of thinking to doing something similar but I'd have to install a slide out tray and with all that weight coming out on that tray doesn't that put a hell-of-a strain on the floor? Do you have to re-enfoorce the floor? Along those same lines...are there many different types of slide out trays available out there? Are there some manufacturers better than others? Stronger than others, mount better than others etc, etc? Or can you order a tray with a custom size that will specifically fit your bay or in an area you want it to go into? I also don't want to pick the area where all these tools will go just yet, getting a tray and do all this setup until I have our rig pretty much all loaded up & topped off and then have a 4 corner weigh to see where the best place would be to put a 200lbs or so of tools and other related stuff.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:47 AM   #19

I use Stanley weatherproof toolboxes. Those built in tool boxes look awesome, but I don't like tracking back and forth to the tool box while I'm working on something, or giving up prime real estate in my limited dry bay areas. I'd rather grab all the tools and take them to the project. Plus, I got lucky with a bit of space in the open battery bay, that will hold two boxes stacked.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I have support bars under floor spreading out the weight - I was concerned but no problem. I did add a lock to make sure the slide did not slam around on turns. Worked great
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While I have a big 6' high Husky tool box in my garage (top section has a radio built in), I have a gasser and am somewhat limited for space and weight. I have added tools as they were needed rather than duplicating what I have at home. Most of them fit in a plastic tool box with a handle at the top (not worth taking a pic) that sits on the floor behind the driver seat. Plus a Dremel rotary tool, an old 14.4 volt battery drill, a set of 1/2" SAE sockets, SAE and metric combination wrenches, a BFH, pipe wrench and a few tools specific to my CJ7 toad. Just this week I used my folding Corona tree hand saw and ACE pruners to trim some branches at our campsite.

For this trip I did bring along some extra tools to work on my FL boat trailer including a breaker bar, angle grinder, two corded drills including a big 1/2" HF drill motor) and a floor jack. Lug nuts on all 4 tires were so corroded I have to drill the studs out from the back to save the rims.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
docsdock, how did you get that tool box to fit inside the slideout tray rails?
I also like the spray bottle holder.

I've had to turn my tool box sideways because the box is just slightly too wide.

When I place the box like yours (drawers facing out) I also have an issue with the lip on the slideout tray interfering with the tool box bottom drawer opening.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #23

OP here: I'm surprised more people didn't contribute to this thread. I was really hoping to get more ideas. I mean....guys usually love to show their tools, know what I mean?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:42 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery 40E

Mine's the easiest to get to and organized.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool Peg Board.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	144529