Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LOL there is no guaranty on any investment... You couldn't guaranty that if you paid cash for a RV you could sell it in 3,5,10 years and even get 1/4 of your money back. So everything is a gamble to a degree. However the stock market since 1929 (over 80 years) has averaged better than 7.5% and that is with the great depression years factored in. I'd take my chances on that rate of return in the long run

Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #30

Dennis you're killing me here!!! Today's stock market and quoting stock history??? WoW

Old 07-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #31

10 yr loan

We got a 10 yr loan with 2.01 interest from our local bank. Cheaper than RV financing. And our credit score is less than perfect.
SoPawGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, check your bank or credit union. Next, there are lots of factors...your credit history/score, length of loan and amount of down payment.

I cannot see a 20 year loan on an RV....you may need to look at something used to save money.

Ken
Old 07-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Another thought just came to me. Remember a mh is a depreciating asset. With 20 yr financing unless you put a lot down, you will be "upside down" as soon as you drive it off the lot and will never catch up. If you put a lot down, depreciation will catch up with you in a few years and your down payment will be gone. So, before you pull the trigger, make double sure it is the unit you want to get old with because trading or selling will not be fun.

Health issues forced us to recently trade or give up rv'ing. The unit we had was supposed to be our "lifetime" unit. We were forced to pay a substantial amount to even sell ours! Not fun. We now have a unit we think and hope we can get old (or older) with. You should ge able to get 5 or so. That got us off the lot and just completed a 4.5 refi with GS.
It's *kind of* all the same.....

Pay now, or pay later - depreciation is depreciation... being upside down doesn't matter - it's the same money either way.

Albeit, finding yourself upside down in a pickle jar can be unhealthy for your stress levels.... to mean if you have a financial or otherwise emergency that forces you to sell, but you don't exactly have the cash to get out from underneath it, or producing the cash hurts.

I never worry about depreciation. I prefer to look at the total spend to accomplish a goal. Hypothetically, If I buy at 100K, and sell at 70K two years later, it cost me 15k per year (1250 per month) to do whatever I did - whether that was staring out the window at my RV parked in my yard, or putting 30,000 miles to it. Of course you would also want to add in the interest you spend with the bank.... If in fact I did drive 30,000 miles, then I spent 1 dollar per mile to do it. (again simplified not including interest, repairs, fuel, gadgets - it'd really be more per mile, possibly close to $2)

From there I would decide if it was worth it to me... and to me, $2 a mile to spend quality time with my wife, my dogs, and see things on my list I've always wanted to see is way worth it.... not to say this arrangement of dollar signs would be the same for everyone...

The term "upside down" to me simply means you owe more than it's worth currently. In my mind, this is not a problem UNLESS you don't have the cash to cover the obligation... then it hurts, an avoidable self created predicament.

Me personally, especially as of late, try to never put myself in a position where I can't cover any gap with cash if I found my head stuck in a pickle jar. This in turn has lead me to cut back, even though I might not want to. For instance.. my tow vehicle.. I paid 22k in cash, it's a base model and smells like moth balls... but what I wanted was leather, and the cool electronics, and the power extending mirrors and all that jazz... but alas, I bought what I could pay for interest free. It's been an excellent truck

My bass boat... oh boy did I want a brand new bass boat!!! sparkly and gleaming, gel coat, wide deck, new carpet and slick seats..... but what did I buy? a 16 year old bass boat with a faded gel coat, and carpet I have to glue back down with spray glue and a rip in the seat.... but I tell you what, she sure does float! Cash, 11k (compared to 70k for new)

My RV, absolutely I wanted a Newmar Dutchstar, or a Ventana. No problem getting financed. BUT I decided to forgo that for the next best thing. A handsomely decent, sub 70k travel trailer that we both really like...that I could reasonably afford brand new with a warranty. I financed it through Essex Credit on a 15 year for the low monthly with no intention of carrying it past two years. (really pleased with the company and Jim Pena), placed a modest down payment, have enough cash on hand to pay it off completely if needed, on target to pay it off by the end of the year in new cash - leaving emergency cash in place. But on a new Ventana, I'd be in the banks pocket for a long time.... but that's my situation, which might not even be close to your situation. You could have millions invested compared to my paltry savings account.

It stinks though when unforeseen circumstances force us to face situations we'd rather not. I think this is what happened to George - I'm positive he didn't invite the change in lifestyle that forced his hand early. I think his advice to you would be "don't get in over your head, cause it hurts if your hand is forced".

Having a mental grip on the amount of depreciation, or we could say, the amount it will cost you if you have to sell, is valuable. Are you in a position to cover it if something major changes in your life (you could ask yourself, no need to answer out loud). This is a question we should all ask ourselves.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #34

Hey plasma800, that was almost coherent, what happened?
Old 07-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
It's the AM, this equates to "before cocktail hour"
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 07-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #36

LoL!

BTW, you folks who mentioned US Bank, I don't know much about them. Do you have to be a member for loan consideration?
Old 07-27-2016, 01:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Agree with your rambling! You know how to manage money wisely. Congratulations.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #38

Now one minute there. I meander and I saunter but I Never ever ramble!
Old 07-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #39

This is subject to change if I can't talk my wife into it but;

When I retire in 4 years I'm planning on taking the money from a couple of paid off rentals. This should be about $2000. I have less than perfect credit and hope I can get a loan for a used luxury MH. My thought is that the homes still appreciate to pay for my depreciating MH. I know this is wrong in general but as long as I stay under the $2000 per month I don't care as much about the interest rate. Plus, we may not like full-timing and I'll just sell the MH.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
This is subject to change if I can't talk my wife into it but;

When I retire in 4 years I'm planning on taking the money from a couple of paid off rentals. This should be about $2000. I have less than perfect credit and hope I can get a loan for a used luxury MH. My thought is that the homes still appreciate to pay for my depreciating MH. I know this is wrong in general but as long as I stay under the $2000 per month I don't care as much about the interest rate. Plus, we may not like full-timing and I'll just sell the MH.
It's not wrong, what you are describing is "an angle", you're simply trading the speculative and hopeful appreciation of property already owned to offset some unknown loss someplace else. This makes sense to me.

Still, you should care about interest rate, as it's a 100% loss leader. Eh I suppose you could write some of it off, but... You're basically padding the pockets of someone else to buy something for you cause you don't have the money yourself. And homey doesn't like that. In your situation I would spend possibly 60 to 80 for a decent used model in the foretravel, newmar, american coach ranges - or possibly a bluebird wonderlodge, and keep the rest of the money for myself.

RV's are means to an end - expensive, cash vacuum cleaner style means to an end. No brain cells were harmed in the formulation of this opinion, and your mileage may vary.
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 07-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Agree with your rambling! You know how to manage money wisely. Congratulations.
Interest/debt free or bust!
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 07-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #42
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by halftimer View Post
The only bad I can say on a 20 year note is your health and nobody knows what that will be.and even then if something happen would you rather your wife have a $100000. Sitting in the driveway or the bank...
I think you have this backwards. If you pay cash that $100k is gone. Finance and if you get hit by a bus she still has the $100k in the bank. Call dealer to sell on consignment or, worst case scenario, call the bank and tell them to come get it.

I agree with those that say it makes no sense to pay cash. My IRA is returning multiples of the interest rate I'm paying. We also took a 20 year loan, expect to pay it off in a fraction of that. I too like the flexibility. Right now I'm making payments of 150% of what is required. Should we have unusually high travel (or health care, or...) expences any given month I can kick back to the "minimum".

Another quick note. The rate you are offered will be .5 to 1.0 higher if full time.

Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote