Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 07:19 PM   #43

Thanks for the great info bases on real experience! That is exactly what I was looking for! Our dealer just got back to us and said the best they could do was 4.9% I think it's a croc! This is just the begining of the game portion of buying a motorhome...Sounds like the consensus says B of A, US Bank or Essex! Thanks again! Keep the information coming!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #44

Let us know how the financing works out for you Jewels. It's a topic of interest to many.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:32 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
Thanks for the great info bases on real experience! That is exactly what I was looking for! Our dealer just got back to us and said the best they could do was 4.9% I think it's a croc! This is just the begining of the game portion of buying a motorhome...Sounds like the consensus says B of A, US Bank or Essex! Thanks again! Keep the information coming!
When you are buying you have 3 separate negotiations.

- buying the new
- selling the old
- financing
Old 07-28-2016, 12:20 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't bother with dealer's financing options!!!!!! They make just as much money off of the kickbacks from financing as they do off the actual sale, and thats why their rates are padded - extra middle man. Go directly to the banks! I went with Alliant CU and with one coach was approved for 3.2% for 8yrs on around $100K w/ 10% down. For the same exact loan also from Alliant though the dealer, the best they could do was 4.9%! After changing motorhomes and terms, I ended up with a 3.99% for around $101K for 10yrs with 100% financing on the coach (not incl. taxes). And I have to say, the service I received with Alliant was just top notch! They were very helpful as I changed coaches and dealers many times, even after having one loan funded and cancelled. I would give them my business any day of the week!

I also tried LightStream, but was denied which is strange because my credit score is 814, and I have good income and assets.???
Old 07-28-2016, 06:24 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
LoL!

BTW, you folks who mentioned US Bank, I don't know much about them. Do you have to be a member for loan consideration?
No LOL late response ..... After AM
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
We just got an interest rate of 3.74%. Nothing wrong with a 20 year loan. Double your payments every month if possible, which will go towards your principal, and for those months you can't then just make your normal payment. ......
Two years ago, I went for the 20 with a 3.99% On the Itasca 35F and have done almost a double payment since purchase. Currently it's the only recurring payment I have so I'm going to increase the monthly by at least one additional payment per month starting with the next payment as I don't want to turn 80 still making payments.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I think you have this backwards. If you pay cash that $100k is gone. Finance and if you get hit by a bus she still has the $100k in the bank. Call dealer to sell on consignment or, worst case scenario, call the bank and tell them to come get it.

I agree with those that say it makes no sense to pay cash. My IRA is returning multiples of the interest rate I'm paying. We also took a 20 year loan, expect to pay it off in a fraction of that. I too like the flexibility. Right now I'm making payments of 150% of what is required. Should we have unusually high travel (or health care, or...) expences any given month I can kick back to the "minimum".

Another quick note. The rate you are offered will be .5 to 1.0 higher if full time.
Any time I finance, I like the flexibility of the smallest possible payment as a "just in case"

BTW OP, I'm in the Essex Credit club. Jim Pena is great to work with.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:13 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just cleared our 20 year loan with US bank with 20% down at 3.7% which is not that bad.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:27 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Just cleared our 20 year loan with US bank with 20% down at 3.7% which is not that bad.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #52
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
That's a very good rate. I assume it's qualified as "recreational use". In other words, you don't live in it full time?
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #53

Silv, are you a member of US Bank with checking and savings?
Old 08-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #54

Interest/debt free or bust! __________________
'12 Chevy 2500HD

Totally and 100% Agreed!!

That's why this unit that we currently have is paid off! Why pay the bank interest money, when you yourself, could be saving that interest money just by having paid for it in the first place? Darn banks got rich off of us in the last melt down and I'm not going to pay them one cent more if I can help it!
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #55
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[QUOTE=BandSA;3188484]Interest/debt free or bust! __________________
... Why pay the bank interest money, when you yourself, could be saving that interest money just by having paid for it in the first place?

When the interest being charged is 3.75% and the return on our fairly conservative IRA investments are returning two or three times that we're "making money" on keeping the cash in our account. That's why. Not to mention, we still have that cash available for other uses, planned or not.

I understand the good feeling of being debt free, it' just not always the best money management strategy.
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandSA View Post
Interest/debt free or bust! __________________
'12 Chevy 2500HD

Totally and 100% Agreed!!

That's why this unit that we currently have is paid off! Why pay the bank interest money, when you yourself, could be saving that interest money just by having paid for it in the first place? Darn banks got rich off of us in the last melt down and I'm not going to pay them one cent more if I can help it!
Indeed. I saved up and paid cash for my unit. I don't do credit cards either. Different strokes of course.