Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

Lets talk slide toppers / window awnings

We have the Carefree Omega II combo Slide Topper and Awning. The 'combo' is because the same continues fabric rolls out to be the Slide Topper, but then uo can also pull the Awning out to shade the windows. Key her is that it is one continuous roll of fabric material to support both duties. Two slide coach. We've replaced the springs in the larger living room slide, and have set the spring tightness one full turn more then recommended then the directions show. (We did this after calling and talking with Carefree, as we were not pleased with the Topper portions performance.)

Problems:
-Both toppers catch and pool water. With the Awning out, water pooling is dramatically less.
-Topper flapping around in the wind. Even winds as low as 8-12MPH will result in the Topper buffeting and making noise. (Scared the dickens out of our dog. And if the dog is scared, DW is not happy!)
-With Awning out, though we do get less water pooling, we then get more wind noise. (Pretty normal, as other coaches with window Awnings can make some noise in the wind too.) (And again, I'm referring to what I consider relatively low winds of 8-12MPH. Sure understand that winds of 20, 25, 30+ MPH - are going to make some noise all around the coach!)
-With the Awning in, which we do when forecasts show winds of 15MPH or above, we have had gusts partially reverse unroll the awing fabric, allowing the Topper portion to billow up. The most I've seen, is about a 8-10" reverse unrolling of the awning Fabric, extending the Topper that much.
-At times of forecasts of winds above 15-20MPH, I'll toss a rope up over the awning (Front to rear of the coach.). Straddle rope down the middle of the slides roof Topper, and then secure it with a large rubber twisty with about 3" or so of downward tension on the Topper material. (This deflects the toppers ends, down enough to both help on water run off, and also handle higher winds without as much noise.) Oh, and using my ladder, I do run about a 8" piece of pipe insulation where the rope/line goes over the edges of the Topper material.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++

OK, so that was the background. And repeat of the many times Toppers have been info shared by many in previous threads.

But now, I'm wanting opinions on what brands of Toppers, Window Awnings and or Combo Toppers/Window Awnings you may have had good success with? And if possible, the specifics of the models within the brands.
-Zipdee
-Girard
-Carefree
-Etc.

We're planning to replace out next to useless large passenger side Carefree Mirage Awning, when we get the coach painted. (Can not adjust the angle to do much. So pretty useless in the afternoon suns. And, again major water pooling, until the arms 'break away' and dump several gallons of waters on anyone below!). We've been budgeting for a coach paint job in 2018, and will do the Main Awning changeover at that time. To allow any patching of holes, before the paint job.

Thinking I might just do the same thing for the Topper and Slide Window Awnings at the same time.

Note: The little window awing only over our non slide side of the bedroom - does work great. Very stable in pretty good winds. Like the metal casing that covers it and protects it from winds as we drive down the road. So Carefree got that one right!)

Appreciate any feedback and opinions. Mostly concentrating on the Topper and Window Awnings at this time, but, welcome thoughts on the Main Awing too. Not hung up on it being Electric or Manual. Our old Bounder's A+E (Think the 7000(?) series manual awning, with metal casing cover too - was not a PITA to extend, and had infinite adjustment capability, and could be tied down to assist in moderate wind conditions. So KISS manual for the Main Awning would for sure be considered too...

Best to all, as always - long winded Smitty!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our slide toppers also extend to be window awnings, but they are Carefree Omega I, which has the "?" brackets at each end.

If you extend the slide, but don't extend the awning over the window, there is not enough tension to keep the topper tight. The only time we do that is if we are only stopping for the night and no rain is predicted!

Take a look at the link below to see how I solved the problem of water pooling on the topper. Again, I only put them out if we will be there more than a couple of days and rain is in the forecast! Let me know if you have any questions!

Slide Topper Awning Support

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #3

We had separate slide toppers and window awnings and like both very much. We rarely extended the big awning. The window awnings were great to keep any sun out and for added privacy. In the winter we enjoyed the sunny patio and in summer we were always in the mountains or on the coast and any sun felt welcomed. It worked for us. Good luck in your choice.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Girard awnings, slide out toppers and never much used window toppers. Our 2 main awnings retract easily as they catch wind like a sail. On one gust they lifted like a wing and thought for sure they were flying off. Go to my friends camper and he has simple style with straps anchored into ground, so this is where we sat. Integrated and automated awnings may look better, but not as good as the old fashioned tie it to the ground type.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #5

Thanks Joe and Twogypsies...

Joe - I've recall that thread. And I've tried other things too. I had some success by tossing two boating bumpers (The ones that hang down between the side of the boat and the dock.) on the big slide. Only needed one on the smaller bedroom slide. They helped on the water pooling, but not the wind noise.

Twogypsies - What was the manufacture and model of the awning and toppers that worked well for you?

All. It's not the tricks and different things to do to make the Carefree Omega II combo Topper/Awning's work. It's just that we're fed up with them.

I'm mostly looking for 'What would others recommend for Slide Toppers and Window Awnings.' And as a side 'If going with a new main awning, what would you recommend?' Make and model are the devils of the details!

TIA, and best to you two, and all,
Smitty
Old 10-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
We have the Zipdee awnings for all windows except the entry door and driver window.

They are still original after 22 years and have caused no major problems.

But they are manually operated.

We have had a few CC owners tell us they would rather have the manual than their electric main awning due to the ability to slope and slant the awning manually for coverage and runoff.

I have helped others with their SOB awnings and have learned to appreciate the Zipdee awnings we have.

Our life is simple. We have no slides and hence no toppers.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #7

I've been reading the websites of just about all of the awning manufactures. Even Carefree, which due to their habit of not supporting their customer base via maintaining repair components, is not likely to be on my short list.

As I said in my long first thread, sure not opposed to the KISS of manual controlled main awnings.

But what I'm trying to really get a handle on by looking at the websites - is how the stand alone Slide Topper work. Do the angle of the Slide Topper prevent the pooling of water. From I've seen on most sites, the stand alone window awnings, all seem to work well. (And again our one stand alone Carefree Window Awning, has been a good one.)

Appreciate the sharing of thoughts. Quality of components, and materials, are important. When spending the potential money we may dish out for new toppers and window awnings - I want to do the best I can to get this one right!

Best,
Smitty
Old 10-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I've been reading the websites of just about all of the awning manufactures. Even Carefree, which due to their habit of not supporting their customer base via maintaining repair components, is not likely to be on my short list.

As I said in my long first thread, sure not opposed to the KISS of manual controlled main awnings.

But what I'm trying to really get a handle on by looking at the websites - is how the stand alone Slide Topper work. Do the angle of the Slide Topper prevent the pooling of water. From I've seen on most sites, the stand alone window awnings, all seem to work well. (And again our one stand alone Carefree Window Awning, has been a good one.)

Appreciate the sharing of thoughts. Quality of components, and materials, are important. When spending the potential money we may dish out for new toppers and window awnings - I want to do the best I can to get this one right!

Best,
Smitty
Yes, the angle does prevent the pooling of water! The stand-alone window awnings can have more angle because the window is lower on the wall. The tops of the slideouts are close to the roof, so there's not much space to get a better angle!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get a pool noodle and cut two sections about a fool long (you may want to measure first) They should be long enough to place them in an upright position on top of your slide out at each end under the topper to cause a tent like effect. This will cause the water to roll off and not pool. Remember to remove them before you retract your slide outs!
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Twogypsies - What was the manufacture and model of the awning and toppers that worked well for you?
I'm not one qualified to recommend a brand. We used the originals on our 2004 for 8 years and they held up very well. I'm sure there are plenty of new styles/mechanisms out there nowadays. I believe they were A&E

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide, window