Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2016, 04:37 AM   #15

I have used the Charmin "red" for several years with no problems. I did a variation of the "taste test", took 2 plates with water in them and set a square of mine vs RV special stuff. After a few minutes there was no discernible difference. The jar method I suppose is faster though. As stated, use lots of water and flush the tank regularly.

There is no problem using the RV stuff but you be spending extra $$ and likely have it disintegrate before the job is done.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #16

scott 1000!

a side note: or stick house used to clog up and need rooter yearly, switched to scott 1000, hasn't happened in 5 years.....hope I didn't jinx myself!

Old 09-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
x3 Scott 1000.

bonzocfi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Our S & B is on a septic tank so DW buys any single ply thats on sale. Septic installed in 78 and has never been pumped. Use same TP in motorhome. It dissolves even before toilet flushed.
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #19

A "Jar" test or any other test to see if T/P will self disintegrate after a short period time is no real authentication that's "bad stuff" to use in an RV holding tank. ALL toilet paper will disintegrate when it's involved with all human waste, chemicals, water, agitation etc. We've used them all, for decades and, I have always used a clear 3" valve in my holding tank emptying over those years.

I've watched the waste as it goes by that clear valve for two reasons. One, to see just how much T/P self disintegrates over even a short period of time both stable and, while in travel and, to see if the holding tank is now clear and needs no further rinsing.

We've used Costco T/P for years too and never, ever had any issues with it in the RV holding tanks etc. It's really not even worth worrying about.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
A "Jar" test or any other test to see if T/P will self disintegrate after a short period time is no real authentication that's "bad stuff" to use in an RV holding tank. ALL toilet paper will disintegrate when it's involved with all human waste, chemicals, water, agitation etc. We've used them all, for decades and, I have always used a clear 3" valve in my holding tank emptying over those years.

I've watched the waste as it goes by that clear valve for two reasons. One, to see just how much T/P self disintegrates over even a short period of time both stable and, while in travel and, to see if the holding tank is now clear and needs no further rinsing.

We've used Costco T/P for years too and never, ever had any issues with it in the RV holding tanks etc. It's really not even worth worrying about.
Scott
I'd say you know your ----------
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #21

Must be a retired civil servant. :P
Old 09-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #22

I don't respond to many TP threads but this one caught my eye for some reason. I found some of the responses laughable.
I have lived in the country all my life with septic systems. I built my house in 1974 and pumped the tank (500 gallons) for the first time in 2010. The fellow who did it even remarked it didn't really need it. I have never used any additives or digesters in my tank.
The same goes for my campers and I have had several since 1977. I use soft TP and don't care one bit which brand it is. I use the tank until it is 1/2 full, fill it to the limit and pull the handle. Refill with 5-6 gallons of water before using the toilet again and repeat the process. I have never experienced the dreaded pile under the toilet drain pipe or anywhere else.
Water is the toilet tank's best friend and it is cheaper than all the digester good smelling stuff you can buy to sweeten the pot.
As far as home or S&B systems the biggest foe is the new government mandated water saving quick flush with minimum water toilets. I am fortunate I still have the old water wasters I have in my house.
I do have one question though. I have one of those fancy clear plastic connections for my black water drain. Why is it when you watch the waste go by does it look like everybody just ate corn on the cob and didn't chew it well?
Lynn
Old 09-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've found any brand 2 ply tp works without any problems.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
I've seen a few threads about toilet paper in the black tank, among other things. I just had one specific question: is it really necessary to get "RV toilet paper?" From previous threads, I've seen a few different responses, but wanted to just focus on that issue instead of tagging on a different thread. We've been using Costco TP for years and don't want to change, but willing to sacrifice our posteriors if it truly saves the tank. Thoughts/opinions?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
I'd say you know your ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
Must be a retired civil servant. :P
Yep, to you both, cleaned enough "low bowls" in my life to be an "expert" on that sh.....

and, retired is most certainly correct. Been retired now for 7 years and loving every minute of it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:47 AM   #26

Scott, you confirmed what I been thinking about the "jar" test. Plenty of water, Happy Camper, time and agitation will break-up the TP with no problem
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought the Scotts Rapid Dissolving RV Toilet Paper. It's $35.99 for a dozen 4 packs, so 48 rolls, on Amazon. That comes to 75 cents per roll.

I am paranoid about the macerator pump on the half bath black tank getting clogged and jammed with a big ol' wad of TP, and what a nasty job it would be dealing with that.

So it's probably not necessary, but it's cheap enough and I feel better using it.

affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet