Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
It depends on what your manufacturer says. My CC manual says level then slides. My friends Beaver says slides then level.

That is why you should read your manual and follow it and don't go by what other people do with their coach.
That gets my vote, but I've done it both ways in the short period of time I've been at it. I have a small bubble over the engine cover and if it appears close and slides are going out for a short period of time then I go with out my highly unreliable levelers.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I've done it both ways.

Depends on whether my wife runs the slides out before I get the outside hook up jobs done.
Level, slides then hook up. When we level no one moves in the coach. I have a 7 foot level and check the level. When we don't move level is perfect, if we moved around not as level. We have 3 slides, 2 at the front 1 for the bedroom. Never have a problem if we stay still, level, slides then hook up.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would NOT slide then level even if the manual said to!!
Old 12-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We level then slides out.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #19

Whatever your manual says. In my case, level, then slides. It would be awkward for me to do the slides first, as the leveler manufacturer says to have the engine running when leveling and my slides won't operate with the ignition on as a safety precaution. Therefore, I would have to shut down the engine, extend the slides, restart the engine, then level if I did the slides first.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It seems to me the real issue is the rigidity of the chassis. One of the reasons I moved from a entry level gas coach to a diesel pusher was to get a more substantial chassis. I never put the slides out on my Georgie Boy Landau (Ford chassis) unless we were leveled on the jacks because I learned early on that doing so was a sure way to hang up a slide. One of the things I like about my much stiffer and more robust Freightliner chassis is the ability to run the slides out without leveling. I use common sense and make sure I'm in a reasonably level spot but I don't have any reservations about running the slides out (two curb and one full-wall street) in a rest area or other short stop.

That said, when setting up in a site, I level first then slide as I do think this is the best way to ensure a square slideout frame. IMHO, that, above all is the secret to easy, low wear slideout operation.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #21

Quote:
I would NOT slide then level even if the manual said to!!
My manual says slides out first then level. I would love to do it the other way around so please try to convince me to switch. If your manual tells you that you are going to damage your slides you would still go against there advice? More detail please because I hate putting the slides out first.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
My manual says slides out first then level. I would love to do it the other way around so please try to convince me to switch. If your manual tells you that you are going to damage your slides you would still go against there advice? More detail please because I hate putting the slides out first.
Does your manual tell you that you will damage your slides if you level first? Really? How could that possibly happen?

This is just my opinion, and it's the way I ALWAYS do it, but you are asking for a convincing argument, so I'll try:

If you are sitting fairly level, say in your driveway or a flat site in an RV park, then it probably doesn't matter which one you do first. But if you are going to level on UNEVEN terrain, where you have the problems of lifting the front or rear, or one side needs to come up a lot, I would ALWAYS level BEFORE I put my slides out. BECAUSE: If you hang your slides out FIRST, and then the MH jerks up or down at all during the leveling process, this is not a good thing, as it will surely stress the frame and the slide room boxes and the slide mechanisms.... If on the other hand, you get in the habit of leveling first BEFORE your slides go out, then it will be easier on the frame and the slide mechanisms, because they will be running smoothly (level and square) and there will be no jerking around because the levelers have already done their work. Why some manufacturers tell it otherwise is a total mystery to me, because if you do it with a "level first, then slides", what can possibly get damaged? But, the other way around, IMHO, there is potential for damage.

I've met people with very dramatic slide problems, from missing runners and glides to ripped up floors and slides that won't go out or come back in. That's not for me. If I can make it easier on the mechanical parts, that's my choice. And like the poster you quoted, "Pete & Linda" (and my earlier posts), I don't care what the manufacturer says. Those same manufacturers have given us faulty systems and design errors for decades. I currently have open recalls on my brakes and on my refrigerator, and there have been lots of "design" problems and warranty issues in all three MHs I've owned. As I said in my previous post, I think we should give a lot of credibility to what the coach builders say, HOWEVER we also need to be able to think outside the box. Convinced? I'm trying. So, I'm just spending my time here at the laptop trying to make sense out of this for "Monacoach", and if anyone out there can explain how doing it "my way" can hurt anything on a MH, please let me have it with both barrels, 'cause maybe I need to learn a bit more That's my 3 cents....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Does your manual tell you that you will damage your slides if you level first? Really? How could that possibly happen?

This is just my opinion, and it's the way I ALWAYS do it, but you are asking for a convincing argument, so I'll try:
You made a good argument and I can tell you that I do worry about the slides hanging out there during the leveling procedure. To answer your first question about damaging the slides I will quote from my manual.

" THE motor home must be supported by the spring suspension ( jacks retracted) whether extending or retracting any slide room. Do not operate the slide out room when supported by hydraulic jacks. Damage to the slide out room, mechanism or seals can occur."

" Ensure motor home is supported by leaf spring suspension"

Quite a few posters in here say to adhere to the manual so I will have to read a few more who appose the above quotes from my manual to convince me to level first. I wouldn't worry so much if my jacks weren't so jerky.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Aaa, does your coach have leaf springs?

Mike
Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 AM   #25

level slide

Just my two cents. seems like level then slide BUT in my manual and printed on the level panel (Beaver) it says to slides out then level?? Just doing what it instructs me to do. Haven't had a problem but I stay away from really unlevel spots to camp. Happy Holidays everyone.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
Whatever your manual says. In my case, level, then slides. It would be awkward for me to do the slides first, as the leveler manufacturer says to have the engine running when leveling and my slides won't operate with the ignition on as a safety precaution. Therefore, I would have to shut down the engine, extend the slides, restart the engine, then level if I did the slides first.
My jacks system will not operate if the key is in the igination let alone the engine runing.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #27

Quote:
Aaa, does your coach have leaf springs?
Yes my coach has leaf springs. No air bags etc. One of the rare diesel pushers that does not have air however the slides out first procedure is not dependent on only having a spring chassis, its a Monaco thing.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Monacoach, the reason I say level then slide is "twisting". If the coach is going to twist at all when leveling I would rather it do it with the slides in. The only reason I could think of for slide then level would be if there is more twisting of the slide "hole" when leveling than the rest of the wall. If you slide first then you would want to retract the jacks first then slides. I have wall stickers that say the coach must level, engine running and parking brake set to operate slides.
Mikron my engine must be running and parking brake set to operate the jacks.

Tags
leveling jacks, slide out