Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #29

Quote:
Monacoach, the reason I say level then slide is "twisting". If the coach is going to twist at all when leveling I would rather it do it with the slides in.
So then the question is do you want a slide out room traveling through a twisted opening or do you want to twist the opening while the slide out is hanging out. I do wonder why Monaco has this backwards procedure. Do they build Monaco's differently then other makers or do they simply have different opinions on slide out operation.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Monacoach, I did have one person tell me the wall construction on the Manaco was different but did not put much stock in that. In my case I would hope the slide "hole" does not do much twisting. I think I would NOT want to twist with the slide out, my thinking is that I would level first and hope everything is relatively square

Old 12-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1-If I try to put my slides out first, I have to turn of the ignition and take out the key.
2-If then I wanted to level, I would have to turn on the ignition, start the motor and then level. But, I can't start the engine cause the slides are out and the engine won't start.
3- So, by default, Level first, turn of key take it out of the ignition and put out the slides.
4- 03 HR Vacationer Gasser . Mother "Monaco" doesn't trust me to make the mistake of driving away with my slides out. (Luv that gal)

Merry Christmas

Joe from Ct.

Joe from Ct.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can run my engine with the slides out and jacks down, but don't try to release the parking brake or put it in gear! The alarms will hurt your ears. I like being able to run engine to warm up before I leave or whatever.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach
Yes my coach has leaf springs. however the slides out first procedure is not dependent on only having a spring chassis, its a Monaco thing.
My Holiday Rambler manual also says slide then level. It says jacks must be retracted and the home supported by the air suspension to support the chassis during slide extension and retraction. So we always do slide then level. Nina
Old 12-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Regardless of what everyone has stated, written, or suggested, or what anybody has told you to do, I second Monaco Mama's response.

"It depends on the specific manufacture of the rig."

If you own a Monaco, you MUST slide then level as with some of the other subsidiaries of Monaco built coaches recommend.

However, there are manufacturers that would state to level then slide.

So with that said, I would HIGHLY recommend reading your owners manual and also talk to your manufacturer. And I would do whatever they recommend. That way, if there is ANY problem, then they will not have a reason to say, "Well, that's not how we told you to do it, and since you didn't follow our instructions, therefore your warranty has been voided and we cannot help you".

There are also various level systems that all work differently. Hydraulic, air, and a combination of the two. There may even be some electric in there too.

One other word of caution, don't try to level on a site where regardless of what you do, you would not get the rig level. Ask for a different site. You will mess up your rig big time and possibly ruin your frig too. Some people have broken their windshields, fallen off their jacks, slipped sideways, etc.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well. I do agree "READ THE MANUAL" is the best and from my point of view safest advice but then I will give you my opinion.

If you level first the load on the motor(s) for the jack is lower, due to the fact that the rig has a center of gravity that is more or less the center of the rig.. When you extend the slides the jacks have to work much much harder.. PLUS when the rig is level the slides go in and out easier as well. so the load on their motor(s) is less.

To demonstrate.. Take a very light weight (but strong) pole say 3 feet long

Take a one pound weight and and hold it in your hand so your hand and elbow are on the same level (Lower arm is level)

Not attach that 1 pound weight to the end of the above pole.. Hold the other hand and extend arm and pole again so elbow, hand and weight are all the same level.. HOW MUCH HARDER was it?

Same for the jack motor
Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
Just my two cents. seems like level then slide BUT in my manual and printed on the level panel (Beaver) it says to slides out then level?? Just doing what it instructs me to do. Haven't had a problem but I stay away from really unlevel spots to camp. Happy Holidays everyone.

This seems to be Monaco thing. Our Holiday Rambler owners manual says this AND when you talk to somebody at the mothership they back this up. It doesn't mean every other coach should do this.

I will tell you with our manual hydraulic levelers...the coach can really twist when leveling and this is the culprit.

If we follow the manufacturers recommendation for oil changes, why wouldn't I follow this guidance once I determined it isn't a typo in the book?
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #37

Having to turn engine off to operate slides and then restarting engine or turning key to accessory for leveling is annoying.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #38

Let me say this about being level. Are you sure you are level? I always level first and then do the slides. Auto level is neat but the next time you are at Auto-level go about the MH and check for level in different places. I have checked the range top, dinning table, floor in differents spots and even gone out side and used a 2 ft level on different areas of the body. I'll bet they don't all match. A little off in one spot might make the difference in using the sildes but there won't be any high side on your cake in the oven.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #39

On our rig, if you turn the ignition on when the jacks are down, they all retract. The manual says level first, then slides out. The longest slide is the living room, about 12' 6" with about 2' 6"l slide-out. The bedroom slide wouldn't be an issue either way - much shorter and less extension.

Occasionally, when at home, I've run the slide out for a quick look-see at something and then put it back in again without having the jacks down.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
On my Journey I keep the motor running, level the coach and then put out the slides. Plug in the shore power before I shut the motor down. Gives a little cool down period to the motor, keeps the voltage up while drawing current from the batteries to put out the slides and level the coach. All takes no more than 5 minutes.
Kodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One more thing, it is a good idea to level the front first to make sure the windshield does not twist and come out or worst even break. Then level the rear. If you have to level the front half way then level the rear twice, then do it. BUT, don't twist the frame, as it weakens it or may even break something.

It just makes common sense to level the front first-then level the rear-then the slides out. It is a no brainer. If after the slides are out and the coach moves off level, then you can touch it up to make it right. The main thing is NOT TWIST THE FRAME OR SLIDES, period. Keep everything level and square, what possible can go wrong?

O' one more thing, I believe that manual is better than automatic, as you can control the kind of leveling as not to twist the frame. Sometimes, automatic has a tendency to twist the frame if you are on really uneven ground.

This is my story, and I'm sticking to it...........
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies and insight.

The "generic" manual Coachmen supplied me with says in three different places to level then slide.

The tech at my dealer says that's wrong, claims he has been told by Coachmen to slide then level.

I told him I want Coachmen to provide me those instructions in writing as a addendum to my manual, otherwise I will continue to follow the procedure in the manual.

So far nothing from Coachmen.

Tags
leveling jacks, slide out