Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #43

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
I have wall stickers that say the coach must level, engine running and parking brake set to operate slides.
Mikron my engine must be running and parking brake set to operate the jacks.
So there you go: Some manufacturers go one way, another goes the other way.... OR different manufacturers can go the same way.... And they all claim safety or potential damage. You folks are fleetwood, I'm winnebago, and my jacks also go down with engine running and parking brake on. I still haven't heard a good reason (other than a manual stating the gospel without explanation of why) for not leveling first to square up my rig to make the 'slideouts' work easier and less-binding.

steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2010, 03:42 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
For the life of me, this pore ole broke down mechanical engineer can't figure out why in the world anyone would recommend to operate the slides on an RV that could be twisted around into who knows what configuration on uneven terrain. In my mind, it's very simple - what was the position of the chassis in the factory when the slideout assemblies were fitted? Level, I daresay. Therefore, the slideouts ought to be happiest when operated with the chassis in the same level configuration.

Having said that, do whatever your manufacturer recommends, I guess.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:16 AM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jacks

Fourwind Windsport system won't work if key is in iginiation let alone engine running. Park brake should be set, but I have lowered jacks without the park break set. I do set the break so coach can't move and damage jacks. Engine on or off no problem but I feel jacks down then slides is the best way.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #46

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always level then slide. I do manual leveling because the auto leveling lifts the rig too high. Also when leveling I have heard to drop the front jacks first because if the rig is twisted (Class A) and you do the rear jacks first the windshield could pop out???...
Old 12-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #47

Solo Rvers Club
Wouldn't that be a big surprise!!!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
I actually read our owners manual again while camping over the Christmas weekend.

Merry Christmas to all of you by the way!

Indeed, our Holiday Rambler manual does give the sequence as follows:

1. Park the rig (neutral with parking brake engaged).
2. Chock the wheels
3. Extend the slide
4. Lower the coach
5. Level the coach
6. Reverse process when leaving.

Again...this is what the Holiday Ramber owners manual and techs say to do and it's been working fine. Cheers!
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #49

I was told to put slides out first and then level. 40' Travel Supreme with four slides. The logic is because the leveling jacks can cause the slide out tracks to be pushed or twisted slightly out of alignment. I have followed this procedure and have no trouble with the slides. When leaving the campsite, I raise the jacks and then put in the slides.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursMVP View Post
I actually read our owners manual again while camping over the Christmas weekend.

Merry Christmas to all of you by the way!

Indeed, our Holiday Rambler manual does give the sequence as follows:

1. Park the rig (neutral with parking brake engaged).
2. Chock the wheels
3. Extend the slide
4. Lower the coach
5. Level the coach
6. Reverse process when leaving.

Again...this is what the Holiday Ramber owners manual and techs say to do and it's been working fine. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish1828 View Post
I was told to put slides out first and then level. 40' Travel Supreme with four slides. The logic is because the leveling jacks can cause the slide out tracks to be pushed or twisted slightly out of alignment. I have followed this procedure and have no trouble with the slides. When leaving the campsite, I raise the jacks and then put in the slides.
This is all fine and dandy, IF and I mean IF you are on a level location. I can see this to make sense. The reason the companies say it is with the heavy multy slides, the coach can lean when they are out. But to me, it just makes sense to level first, slide out slides, then if adjustments needed, then do it. From an engineer point of view, it makes sense. Again, this is my view, the simple way of doing things. I believe we beat this horse enough. Good luck everyone on your method.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE = "MrMudstud"] This is all fine and dandy, IF and I mean IF you are on a level location. I can see this to make sense. The reason the companies say it is with the heavy multy slides, the coach can lean when they are out. But to me, it just makes sense to level first, slide out slides, then if adjustments needed, then do it. From an engineer point of view, it makes sense. .[/QUOTE]

As an engineer I have to admit I can see this too. Our HR does have very heavy slides and the coach tips as we move them out and leans slightly to the left when fully expanded due to heavier slides on that side. Generally speaking we try to be mostly level before we use the slides by choosing level spots and placing blocks under the wheels to correct any bigger tips. But if there is twist in the frame (especially shear twist) I can see it making logical sense to level w the jacks first. It's been an interesting discussion and has made me think further about the process we use.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just read my Itasca Meridian V Class manual. Instructions are to level, then slide, all with the engine running. Which is what the dealer originally told me, which made sense and what I have been doing in the very short time I've owned the coach.

I suppose that if the official directions were slide, then level, I'd do that - had I read the manual first. Common sense (lacking any real knowledge) would have dictated the opposite - level then slide.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #53

This thread has gone too far already and the opinion seems to be about 50/50. Anyway, here is my opinion, which agrees with just about every high line coach manufacturer. Slide out first then level. When a coach is put together, it is squared body to frame. Even though the floor of the assembly plant is level it has no connection with chassis to body alignment. The structure of the body should be just as rigid with the slide in or out. When you put the slide out first that will probably change the alignment of body to frame because of the slide weight shifting outward. With air bag leveling, only he body is leveled, the frame stays the same. With hydraulic jack leveling, the frame is adjusted to make the body level. Jack leveling is notorious for twisting the frame, hence, the body twists. This is especially true when done manually. That is one of the advantages of buying a higher priced MH, they have air bag leveling. Also, higher priced MHs without air leveling usually have auto leveling with the jacks.

It would be interesting to compare leveling procedures for all MHs with air verses jack levelers. Throw in auto jack leveling and that would probably change the results. The more you pay the better your leveling system.

No matter what system you have, I believe the procedure should be slides out then level. As i stated before, slides in or out, the body should be equally rigid to withstand small twisting occurring during the leveling process.

Many will disagree and will never change their mind, no matter what, because they have been doing it their way for years with no damage incurred. That's one of the great benefits of living in the USA, we can agree to disagree.

JimE
Old 12-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes and I disagree
Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #55

Pete & Linda,

If you level with jacks and your body twists, why would you want to level with the slide in? Wouldn't that put extra strain on the slide mechanism when you extend it? Also slide gaskets would not wear evenly. Put it out first and you avoid these problems. I believe the higher priced MHs are better constructed and do not suffer as much twisting as lower priced units. This is especially true with diesel powered MHs.

Does your coach have auto jack leveling or manual only?

Jim E
Old 12-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #56

My Beaver saids to slide out and then level. I don't think it takes into consideration some coaches have the optional air leveling systems, like mine. I typically level then slide. If I had hydralic jacks, I would slide then level, but only do so if the coach was on a generally flat surface. I suspect the slide before level recommendation is due to some leveling systems MAY flex the frame because they are slightly out of level when they are assumed to be level.

Generally, following the manufaturer's procedures is the safest.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling jacks, slide out