Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
Leveler jacks

I had a problem with my jacks this weekend, the panel kept saying they were down, but they were all the way up. It would go off well driving then come back on, so I'm assuming it's a switch not making complete contact .It's been sitting for about 3 months with them down, if that makes a difference. I was wondering if someone could direct me to the switch that tells them if they are up or down? I haven't had a chance to crawl under it yet, it started snowing. It's a 2000 American eagle. Thanks for any help you can give me to save me some time.

71camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
I would think each jack would have a switch, connected in series so if any of them are down it powers the dash lamp.

1985 Gulf Stream 34' Sun Stream
1997 Newmar Mountain Aire 3757
429CV23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
What brand and model are the jacks?

2001 Cruisemaster/300 Cat/2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring/Acme Tow Dolly
wimberleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
I would think each jack would have a switch, connected in series parallel so if any of them are down it powers the dash lamp.
Fixed it for you...if in series they both need to be down to show the light, if parallel, either one will light the light.

2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD
2000 F250 diesel extended cab short bed
2014 Demco Autoslide 18K
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
power gear
Old 02-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Power gear jacks use a float switch in the reservoir. You probably just need to add some transmission fluid.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
that would make sense, it goes on and off when you hit the brakes. I'll ck it when I get home, thanks for the help
Old 02-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Like ChasA stated, you probably just need to bring the fluid level up. Even if you think it looks OK, add fluid and bring the level all the way to the very top! This has always fixed a similar situation with my power gear jacks.

Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
Just make sure the jacks are up before you fill the reservoir.
1996 Rexhall Aerbus.
1925 Ford Model T Touring
1926 Ford Model T Fodor
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Not all Power Gear levelers use the fluid level as an indicator of jacks up condition, especially the older models. I had the same come-and-go problem that got worse until the alarm was on all the time. Mine also would react to braking, turns and bumps in the road.

My setup uses a magnetic sensor in the top of each jack and they are wired in SERIES so that all must make contact when up to shut off the jacks down alarm. There has to be a complete circuit for the control panel to know they are all up. If you can see the top of one of the jacks and it has a flat, round fitting with two wires coming out, then it has the sensors.

See the diagram below from the Kwikee (Power Gear) service manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kwikee-4.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	86372  

Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists"
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
Previously '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W22 Workhorse
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote