Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
leveler leak

I developed a leak on one of my rear leveler on my 1995 Suncruiser. It is a power gear system and the cylinders are made by Milwaukee cylinder. From the date code on the cylinder it is original as it matches the manufacturing date of my motorhome.

Naturally I thought that it was a seal but as I investigated the leak it was coming from somewhere near the top of the cylinder but was not from the fitting or the hose so I pulled it off of the frame. (Heavy, very heavy) After getting it off I cannot see anywhere that it could he leaking from other than the welds that were done to attache the mounting bracket to the cylinder or the weld at the top of the cylinder.

Has anyone here ever experienced a leak from a weld joint not their leveling unit?

Could I have cracked a weld causing the leveling cylinder to leak?

Where can a person go to get one of these cylinders checked for leaks an or repaired?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Any hydraulic repair shop can test the cylinder. Keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've worked on these PG jacks before. If the bottom seal and top fitting isn't leaking, then it must be a crack in the cylinder.

The only place to get PG parts is from an authorized dealer. Just a seal kit is $150! So I agree with RV Wizard, seek a hydraulic shop have tested and hopefully it can be re- welded. Good luck.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I've worked on these PG jacks before. If the bottom seal and top fitting isn't leaking, then it must be a crack in the cylinder.

The only place to get PG parts is from an authorized dealer. Just a seal kit is $150! So I agree with RV Wizard, seek a hydraulic shop have tested and hopefully it can be re- welded. Good luck.
Definitely not the seal as the leak is coming from the top area of the cylinder. The only things on the top are
1. The hydraulic fitting (not leaking)

2. One bolt that screw's into the top of the cylinder that holds the return spring mount (not leaking)

3. There is about a 2 inch thick piece of metal that resembles a hockey puck welded to the top of the cylinder to allow the spring return bracket bolt to screw into (weld could have a small crack allowing it to leak under a load)

4. The frame mount bracket is welded to the side of the cylinder in several places. (As this takes most of the load and forces I suspect that when this was welded on It may have caused a thin spot and may have cracked after years of cycles)

It is more of a slow seep of fluid and only when the weigh of the motorhome is put on it. Once the foot comes off the ground it stops leaking.

I will look up a hydraulic repair shop to see if they can determine the cause and hopefully fix. Don't really want to buy a new one. $$$$
Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, you don't want to buy a new one . I take it you can't determine if it's coming from the 'puck' or the upper weld on the frame bracket, just that it's coming from the 'top'.

Just curious if you cleaned the cyclinder thoroughly at the onset, then put under pressure to see if you could determine the exact beginning of the seep?

Just thinking outloud, if you could determine an exact location and if that location could be thoroughly cleaned, some JB Weld could fix it for a long time for $5.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Yeah, you don't want to buy a new one . I take it you can't determine if it's coming from the 'puck' or the upper weld on the frame bracket, just that it's coming from the 'top'.

Just curious if you cleaned the cyclinder thoroughly at the onset, then put under pressure to see if you could determine the exact beginning of the seep?

Just thinking outloud, if you could determine an exact location and if that location could be thoroughly cleaned, some JB Weld could fix it for a long time for $5.
Was not able to see it while it was mounted on the frame rail due to the tight space. I could only see that it was a small amount of fluid coming down from the top area of the cylinder.

After I got it removed I could not see where it was leaking from but I would have to surmise that it is a very small leak / crack. I would think that it would be spraying if it was a big leak under the pressure that this cylinder has on it when lifting a motorhome.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Understood, looks like back to the hydraulic shop.

Tags
leak