Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #1

Levelers vs Plastic Tire Blocks

Lately we've been camping/rving in Texas and quite a few of the sites are purposely sloped to handle the extreme amount of rain these areas get. We are new to idea of having our front tires (or even one whole side) of our 38' rig in the air when using the automatic levelers. We have even tried to run the tires up onto plastic blocks (as we did in our smaller unit) to achieve some sort of leveling. We like having rubber touching a solid surface.
Question: Can you use blocks under the tires that need to be raised and then use your automatic leveling system to work from there? Do we do damage to anything?
Seghitravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #2

I do it all the time. If you're really off level to begin with I think it's a good idea to use pads or blocks to get as level as possible before using the levelers. Chances are the levelers may not be able to level the coach if it's too far out of whack. I carry a few 4x6 pieces to put under the jack pads as well to get a few more inches out of the jacks.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seghitravels View Post
Lately we've been camping/rving in Texas and quite a few of the sites are purposely sloped to handle the extreme amount of rain these areas get. We are new to idea of having our front tires (or even one whole side) of our 38' rig in the air when using the automatic levelers. We have even tried to run the tires up onto plastic blocks (as we did in our smaller unit) to achieve some sort of leveling. We like having rubber touching a solid surface.
Question: Can you use blocks under the tires that need to be raised and then use your automatic leveling system to work from there? Do we do damage to anything?
Yes you can and also place same thickness of blocks under the jack for that corner.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't see any problem with using blocks under the hydraulic jacks as long as they are large enough to support the weight without slipping.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #5

seghitravels-

On level ground I can get 4 to 5 inches of blocks under the levelers. That is sometimes too few to level the coach. To put more blocks under the levelers requires raising the coach by putting blocks under the wheels. So, yes, we use both.

This past October we had one site in Maine that was so far off left-to-right that I had to put 3 inches under the tires and eight inches under the levelers. It leveled right up, and was more solid than I expected. In that case, all of the tires were on the ground or on blocks.

One of the advantages of blocking under the wheels is that I'm less worried about the coach shifting.

Our coach is a gasser, so it probably maintains more ground clearance than your diesel Tuscany if you've dumped the airbags. I mention that because sometimes it's easier to remove some material from the high end of a site and replace it when you leave. It depends on the campground rules, site peculiarities and need for utility access below the coach.

I had to look up your coach in your profile. You should add a signature; it saves you having to type that information into each post. Instructions are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #6

Do it all the time. Found that the camco yellow plastic blocks do not support the weight of my rv. The yellow ones get flattened but the orange lynx ones seem to work.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #7

Pick it up higher then needed, slide the blocks under the tires, and let it down.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #8

Oh Thank you, Deep Water ... I think I get the idea ... we could roll up onto the blocks ... let the air out of the airbags, then drop the levelers ... we've even tried to put blocks under the levelers that seem to need to really lift but haven't done both at the same time ... blocks under the wheels as well as levelers ... sounds good!
Old 12-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #9

I love it ... makes sense ... same number of blocks used for the tire to be placed under the leveler on that same corner ... thank you!!! We've tried one method or the other but not both combined
Old 12-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with the yellow lego type blocks. We had some exploded under the weight of our 5er and piece put a big cut in my leg. We called Camco and they said that only report they have ever received of there blocks not supporting the weight. Yea Right!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjam View Post
Do it all the time. Found that the camco yellow plastic blocks do not support the weight of my rv. The yellow ones get flattened but the orange lynx ones seem to work.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #11

Never raise a brake tire off the ground or off of blocks, either end of that axle.

Yes, use blocks under the tires to get "kinda close." Then you can use the levelers (you probably will need blocks under them also so they don't hyper-extend).
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #12

Quick "stupid" question ... that was one of my concerns ... not having the brakes engaged if you have tires in the air ... which tires are the brake tires on a DP? Back ones?
Old 12-15-2018, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seghitravels View Post
Quick "stupid" question ... that was one of my concerns ... not having the brakes engaged if you have tires in the air ... which tires are the brake tires on a DP? Back ones?
The rear tires have the parking brakes.
Of course the jacks, planted on the ground with the weight of the MH, are not going to slide, unless your on a cliff. Then the tires would slide also.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I try to keep all my tires on the ground if possible. If not possible I don't feel unsafe if they are off the ground. If my 38,000-pound coach is on steep enough hill that going to slide down the hill while suspending on 4 jacks I probably not going to get it level anyway. The jacks on my coach are designed to lift the coach, when you lower the suspension the airbags deflate and weight of the coach is setting on stops. During the leveling process, you lift the coach off the stops, the tires may be on the ground by most of the weight minus the tries and axles are on the jacks. I have to ask for another's site when I felt the level was too far off or I would have to use an excessive amount of blocks to level.

Putting blocks down to decrease the extensions of the jacks is a good idea. If just overnight I don't bother unless its soft surface or absolute must to leveling. If going to stay a while then it's a good idea to stack some blocks to reduce the extension. Be careful of those lego type blocks since some them are not rated to hold the weight of large coach.
Just my thoughts and I know others don't agree with me so you need to do what makes you feel safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Never raise a brake tire off the ground or off of blocks, either end of that axle.

Yes, use blocks under the tires to get "kinda close." Then you can use the levelers (you probably will need blocks under them also so they don't hyper-extend).
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
levelers