Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #1

we are purchasing a 2013 phaeton and i have no i idea the proper way to level or put the slides out. I am used to air leveling system. Each person i have talked to is different. engine running, engine off. Help please

justducky300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a link for 2013 Tiffin Phaeton manual:

The Phaeton will be equipped with hydraulic-leveling jacks. These jacks work in pairs: Front, right side, left
side, and rear. Before extending these jacks, the engine must be “off,” the ignition switch must be in the
“ACC” position
, and the transmission must be in “park.” The parking brake needs to be set and the tires
blocked securely; then the leveling jacks can be activated

Enjoy your new MH! Check out the Tiffin Owners sub-forum if you have not already.

Joe & Tori with our pup Finn
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon
nehmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh and as for slides, when arriving at your camp you want to level first following the procedure in the manual, then extend slides. Make sure clearance on the outside is ample and any obstructions like basement hatches or objects are out of the way. Also be mindful of the interior as well, watch for things that may get caught or snagged like drawers or loose items. Don't want to squish that new loaf of bread! (Don't ask me how I know ).
Joe & Tori with our pup Finn
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon
nehmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:27 AM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
For me, what is key is to have good power, whether plugged in to electric, running generator, or running engine. If at site with electricity, I turn off engine and plug in before leveling and putting out slides. While auto level will dump bags, I press the manual dump first and check level using leds and visual. If too out of level I may put boards under low tires to get close to level manually. I don't want any tires off ground after leveling with jacks, especially the rears. I also usually put jack pads under each jack and may use boards to prevent full extension of jacks. I then press auto level. Almost always works given my prep. I verify no tires off the ground. I then put out the slides.
Randy & Sharon & Ella (terrier mix rescue)
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Ford Edge
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One basic thing is that all electtic motors operate better with the proper voltage.
Being plugged into shore power, or having the engine running provides a higher voltage to run the motors.

The other side of the coin is safety, that is why the Parking brake must be set, and the key is in the ignition, mine must be in the run position, but the engine can be on or off.

If your batteries are in good shape, or you just finished driving, you should be fine with engine off and no shore power. I usually connect to shore power when posible to level and open slides.

Our Phaetons should be level before operating the slides.

Against popular opinions, I commonly put my rear slides 1/2way out for loading at home, to get access to the rear. Then put them back in.....always hold your button depressed for 3 or 4 sec after the slide has stopped. And I do this on the street. Would not do this with the big slides however.

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote