Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #15

Good points. Thanks.

Can a MH sit off level, sideways for approximately 48 hours, in front of our house by the curb. As we load it up with all our stuff. Will this adversely affect the fridge use or any other things you might think of. My concern is obviously the fridge?
F150 Stealth XL by Rocky Ridge Trucks.
WhiskeySierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeufelWolf View Post
Good points. Thanks.

Can a MH sit off level, sideways for approximately 48 hours, in front of our house by the curb. As we load it up with all our stuff. Will this adversely affect the fridge use or any other things you might think of. My concern is obviously the fridge?
Most everyone will tell you it's important to have the RV level for the fridge to work properly. Other than that you probably won't upset anything else.
( This was NOT a politically correct response and don't expect one) LOL.
Lynn
Old 08-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Quote:
Good points. Thanks.

Yes very important for safe functioning of the propane fridge.... many believe operating the fridge unlevel even for a few hours will overheat the boiler or tubing, and cause damage which will lead to a shortened life, and or catastrophic ammonia leak possibly causing a fire. If not level I would turn the fridge off.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My current practice is to use the auto-level button, then adjust it manually. But the auto-level I have (Equalizer) only ever levels by raising the jacks, never by lowering them. So I strongly suspect that on at least some sites, I will be able to do a better job entirely on my own. This seems to be the way that a lot of other people with this system do it: auto-level until the jacks make contact with the ground, then cancel and do it the rest of the way manually.

Quote:
It depends on how off-level the fridge is. If I've done the math correctly, for your coach you're looking at a 2-foot drop over the length and a 1-foot drop over the width. Both of those are fairly significant. That lengthwise drop is equivalent to parking on a 5% grade, for instance.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Good points. Thanks.

If you have a propane/electric fridge you can absolutely damage it by operating it too much off level for more than a short time. On the other hand if the fridge is turned off, no damage will occur.

This does not apply to residential fridges as they are much more tolerant of off-level operation. Since we went to a residential fridge, we often do not bother to level at all if we are only staying for one night.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #20

1. I first run the auto level program when we get to where we are parking.

2. Since the auto level program usually raises us too high, I alternately bump the front and rear down, watching a level on the kitchen counter) until I get to the height I want (and still maintain level).

3. Last, I manually adjust until the bathroom door remains in place front to rear and side to side.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I use the bathroom door swing method. Once the system shows we are level I open the mid bath door. If it stays in position we are level. If it swings one way or the other it's time to tweak things a bit. I've checked that against a bubble level and it's right on the money. I don't block the tires and if I can't level by moving we just live with it if it's only for a day or two.
Seems to be the simplest way to get pretty darn close. Front to back isn't as critical as side to side IMHO

As others noted the manual level seems to work best for the majority
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #22
NXR

Use a hard rubber ball, maybe 3" diameter. Steal it from your dog if you have one. If it consistently heads downhill when on the floor you're likely too far off level for a non-residential fridge, especially if it's old.

Or get a phone app. Android Bubble Level is the one I use. Reads out in 0.2 degree increments.

Ray
Old 08-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I use the bathroom door swing method. Once the system shows we are level I open the mid bath door. If it stays in position we are level. If it swings one way or the other it's time to tweak things a bit. I've checked that against a bubble level and it's right on the money. I don't block the tires and if I can't level by moving we just live with it if it's only for a day or two.
This post is actually a response to post # 21.
To me this is a flawed method. If my bathroom door is slightly ajar and swings open I can raise the front of the coach and the door won't swing open. However i can leave the front alone and raise the passenger's side rear. Guess what? The door won't swing open by itself.
Without a level how do I know which corner is too high or too low or if I'm level from front to rear?
When I am done with leveling I don't want my bathroom door to open or close on it's own. If it does I haven't done a good job of leveling and I need to go back and find where I did something wrong but I don't rely on a swinging door to level my RV with.
Lynn
Old 08-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #24

I use auto level and if it's excess slope or needs blocks I move.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm with the 'level enough' crowd.
I used to use a clear measuring cup with water to the 1 cup line, then put the cup on the counter. If the water was reasonably level to the line on the cup then the RV was level enough. (yes, there is an assumption there the the counter is parallel to the floor - it is).
Now I use the bathroom door and/or just walking on the floor. If I don't notice a slant when walking on the floor and/or the bathroom door doesn't swing either open or closed, then it's level enough.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:09 PM   #26

I carry 2 level gnomes. They set up the level and I put out my chair and have a beer!
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #27

Bathroom door, two step process:

First, open the bathroom door about 1" (parallel to the long axis of the coach). If it swings open or shut, the coach is not level side to side. Raise the side levelers on the side towards which the door moves because that side is too low.

Then, open the bathroom door about 90 degrees (perpendicular to the long axis of the coach). If it moves toward the back of the coach, raise the rear levelers because the rear of the coach is too low. If the door moves toward the front of the coach, raise the front levelers because the front of the coach is too low.

It is really easy when you realize the door always swings toward the low direction.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #28
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
Seems to be the simplest way to get pretty darn close. Front to back isn't as critical as side to side IMHO
Ummm, depends. If your non-residential fridge is mounted sideways as most are, then front-to-rear leveling is the most critical because that is the side-to-side leveling for the fridge.

Norcold's want the fridge itself to be within 3 degrees side-to-side and within 6 degrees front-to-rear.

Ray

Tags
leveling