Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #1

Leveling Class A

I'm at a camp site for the holidays just for a week. The problem is the left front of my coach is setting low. I have wood blocks under the left front jack which is helping a little. I was wondering if I would be better off driving up on a couple wood blocks on my left side/tire instead of putting wood under the one jack?

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

Is this due to an un-level campsite or problem with leveling jacks? If site is not level and your jack is reaching max extension I think you are fine putting blocks under the jack. I personally would not put blocks under the rear jacks to avoid lifting rear tires off the ground and therefore no parking brake.
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Me thinks that if the jack is dropping down because of loss of hydraulic, then putting blocks under it is not going to help as the jacks will still drop down. In that case putting a ramp under the front tire will help the situation by raising that side.

If it is because of a very unlevel site the wheel blocks is a better way. Putting blocks under the jacks could end up with the jack not retracting far enough to come up off the block once air is dumped or coach settles. Check your manual on the jack system and blocks. My specific case says to not use blocks or pads greater than 3 inches in height.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
I'm at a camp site for the holidays just for a week. The problem is the left front of my coach is setting low. I have wood blocks under the left front jack which is helping a little. I was wondering if I would be better off driving up on a couple wood blocks on my left side/tire instead of putting wood under the one jack?

Stano
Yes blocks under the tires are fine. I prefer 1X8 the length of the tire at least. Never jack you motorhome off the ground. Be careful not to tweak the frame.
Oregon Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
Is this due to an un-level campsite or problem with leveling jacks? If site is not level and your jack is reaching max extension I think you are fine putting blocks under the jack. I personally would not put blocks under the rear jacks to avoid lifting rear tires off the ground and therefore no parking brake.
Yes I'm on un-level ground on my left front side. I'm was unsure if its ok to put blocks under the one jack to try to level the coach.
Thanks for the help!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #6

If one corner of the lot is low, there's no problem putting blocks under the tire AND the jack. Just be mindful of your windshield? If the level is too far out of level, this is an exellent way to start/aggravate a problem?
Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you put blocks under the tire, be sure the block is wide enough to support the entire width of the tire. Blocks that are too narrow can damage the tire.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #8

Under the jack is fine, especially if it is up front. My front right tire comes off the ground when I level at home. Just be smart about it and don't get yourself into a situation where the coach could slide on the jack plates.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
The best way is to put blocks under the tire and jack, this way your front axle is not hanging on your suspension on one side.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesely View Post
The best way is to put blocks under the tire and jack, this way your front axle is not hanging on your suspension on one side.
I agree with this except I would say the "best" way would be to move to a more level site. Haha
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, leveling