Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Leveling ideas needed

We found the MH we want, but I am concerned that it does not have leveling jacks. It is a 38' with a tag. What are my options? I priced having jacks installed and it was just too much money. Is there anything that will work?
Thanks
Handyhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

Roll the low side up on Lynx blocks like other RVs that don't have leveling jacks.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow. Does it have slides? If not, the blocks would be fine (of course, blocks work with slides also). Also, have you checked to see if it may not have jacks because it has air leveling? I think Tiffin's Breeze doesn't have levers either, but it does have air leveling.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyhiker View Post
We found the MH we want, but I am concerned that it does not have leveling jacks. It is a 38' with a tag. What are my options? I priced having jacks installed and it was just too much money. Is there anything that will work?
Thanks
Handyhiker,

Yep, based on the fact that it's a 38' and, a tag, it sure seems odd that it doesn't have leveling jacks. Just exactly what year/make/model/engine etc. are you looking at?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We use leveling blocks and ramps all the time even though we have levelers. We carry 4 sets of blocks, two 7" plastic car ramps and an assortment of scrap 2x wood so we can handle different situations.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It may have air leveling, a number of larger Class A's with tags only have air leveling.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:15 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Handyhiker,

Yep, based on the fact that it's a 38' and, a tag, it sure seems odd that it doesn't have leveling jacks. Just exactly what year/make/model/engine etc. are you looking at?
Scott
It is a 96 Rexhall with a ford 460. I personally have not seen the coach yet just going by what the salesman told me.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
It is a 96 Rexhall with a ford 460. I personally have not seen the coach yet just going by what the salesman told me.
Most motorhome owners carry leveling blocks you can buy at Camping World or they carry lumber that they can stack to level a coach, even those with leveling jacks. Sometimes it is necessary to put blocks under the jacks as well as the wheels. If you have a gas absorption fridge, it needs to be pretty level to work properly.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #9

Do a Web search for suitable leveling system for that model and get price for hardware and installation.

Yes you will will want one...

Use it as leverage as this is an option that is common on most "better" rv of that size.

Sales guy may not have a clue either, look for yourself
Old 09-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We, if it doesn't have jacks or air leveling you will have to use blocks to level.

I had a 31 Class C with no leveling. I made a long stepped ramp out of 3 pieces of 2" X 12", probably 24, 18, 12" long glued and screwed together. I would also carry a couple of 2" X 12" ~16" long and some 4" X 4" timbers to be able to elevate any of the above. Once level I would use 4 tripod type screw stabilizers that would keep the rig from rocking.

If possible we would park with the front on the lower elevation of ground and drive up on blocks until we were level. My SIL driveway required the used of the 4X4 blocks under the stacked ramp to get about 8" of height.

A 38' rig will be more difficult to get level but a combination of the above would work.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #11

Quote:
That was your first mistake, LISTENING to a SALESMAN But, regardless if it has levelers or not, as has been stated, some good old blocks, ramps, pieces of lumber are always nice when the situation is in need. Just pushing buttons sometimes doesn't get it. Really long story short, we've been camping for over 35 years and, have had numerous coaches, campers etc.

And, I've always carried some form of small lumber yard with me for the different situations we've gotten ourselves into. This is what I carry now. I decided to put some time into these. I figure they'll be around for a while if I did it right.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:50 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shouldn't listen to the salesperson??? Seems like those "assuming" that the coach was a diesel or due to the 38' length and tag axle that it should have jacks standard were the ones that were wrong. Many older coaches didn't come with jacks or at best were aftermarket ad ons or optional. Assuming that all salespeople are uninformed and don't have product knowledge just isn't fair.:bang head: BY the way, hydraulic jacks were available.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:59 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks for the replys. The coach is 2+ hours from me so I have not seen it yet. Just getting info so I have ideas when I do.
Handyhiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling