Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #1

Leveling jack alarm will not turn off

I was wondering if anyone else has had this situation and knows what could cause it. This system failure occurred during our last trip with our 2004 Bounder 35E. After retracting the leveling jacks and getting a jack down light off the leveling system alarm went off when I released the emergency brake. The system then showed the jack down light on. I checked the jacks and they were all up. I cycled the system a few time but the alarm sounded each time I released the emergency brake. Confirming again that the jacks were up I disconnected the leveling system control panel and took the coach home. My leveling system is hydraulic. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you have a Power Gear brand system, you are probably low on hydraulic fluid in the reservoir. It has a float switch that tells the system all the fluid came back and then it know all the jacks are up. You can top off the system when all the jacks are up with ATF Dexron III type fluid. If you find the reservoir is full, make certain the fitting of the float switch has the point on the side at the 6 O'clock position. Good luck and keep us posted.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #3

Yep, same thing happened to me. Just low fluid.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had the same problem with our HWH system. I for one pulled the fuse to enable the alarm but did have the system checked over just for peace of mind. Being our system was an 04 I had all new springs installed and they did find a problem with two jacks that were replaced. Everything up and running now and I always travel with in the "Store" mode button on. Didn't really know that was what you were supposed to do but I guess that goes along with not reading the manual very well to begin with. I take a little more time paying attention to stuff now and the education on these systems is a good thing when you run into a problem.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #5

As RV wizard said, check the Hyd fluid. Mine did the same thing, added some fluid, shoud take Dextron III that is Automatic Transmission Fluid and you can get it at any autoparts store or at wal-mart.

Hope this helps
Happy trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wish all those suggestions worked for my Kwikee Hydraulic Jack alarm!

Had it at the Winnebago Service Center and they couldn't fix it in a weeks time.

Local dealer made several house calls to my storage unit - to no avail.

Woe is me!

Good luck and please keep us informed.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Can't this also be caused by a dirty jack not fully retracting? They only have to be down a fraction of an inch for the alarm to sound on my HWH system.

Usually a squirt with silicone spray and a good wipe down solves the problem for me.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #8

On a Power Gear hydraulic system there are no level sensors on the jacks. When the jacks are retracted and the reservoir doesn't fill back up the jacks down alarm goes.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice. I did notice fluid leaking from the jack area. I’ve got a service appointment in two weeks. I’ll keep ya’ll posted.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jack Down Light

Dittto on the "adding fluid". I have the same problem, but I have found that the vertical cylinder that holds the fluid is leaking. At first I thought it was a bad weld at the machined bolt on the bottom. What is really happening to me is that the whole bottom of the cylinder is rotting out, probably from road salt in the New England area. Power Gear is nice enough to send a new one to my mechanic for a mere $500.00. I sure hope the light stays out after we fix it.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #11

I just added a switch to mine. Powers off the Power Gear control box. So's I don't have to run out and add fluid too often. Put it in gear, slooowly pull forward, and after about 2-3 minutes of driving, the beeping stops. If it doesn't, flip the off switch. Check fluid level next RV park. Oh, and I can't find any leaks anywhere. Must be the return valve closing when it shouldn't.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
We had the same problem with our HWH system. I for one pulled the fuse to enable the alarm but did have the system checked over just for peace of mind. Being our system was an 04 I had all new springs installed and they did find a problem with two jacks that were replaced. Everything up and running now and I always travel with in the "Store" mode button on. Didn't really know that was what you were supposed to do but I guess that goes along with not reading the manual very well to begin with. I take a little more time paying attention to stuff now and the education on these systems is a good thing when you run into a problem.
Steve we have a Newmar with the HWH faulty leveling system too. Run with the jacks in store, but it still occurs from time to time. Once the alarm went off in near Billings and we drove it for 20 miles before it shut off.

We recently added new springs to the fronts and will add the same to the back jacks, wanted to see if it worked before throwing money at it again. Seemed to work mo bettah to me and the jacks went up faster.

Seems HWH had faulty seals back in the 04 time frame. Never had a recall but Im sure I have some of them.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #13

This just happened to me yesterday and I was looking on here for answers. I have a 94 Bounder 34J. Unfortunately, I think all my hydraulic fluid is now on the campground pad. We just bought this RV and it has probably been sitting for a while. Does anyone have any recommendations or comments.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc7126 View Post
This just happened to me yesterday and I was looking on here for answers. I have a 94 Bounder 34J. Unfortunately, I think all my hydraulic fluid is now on the campground pad. We just bought this RV and it has probably been sitting for a while. Does anyone have any recommendations or comments.
Since you're now low on fluid, try adding Transmission Stop Leak when you refill it (with the jacks retracted). I use to get a cup of fluid in one of my landing pads regularly and after adding the stop leak, it stopped. Hasn't leaked in 3 years now. Then with the jacks extended, spray the shafts with lithium. Or silicon...the manual will tell you which kind.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling