Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
leveling jack issue

Working on my 2K Newmar Dutchstar's leveling jacks. All four go down perfect however when retracting three come up and the right rear stays put. the only way to get it back up is to pry with 2x4 and block. Controls seem to work fine. Oh yes the springs are connected and in good shape.

tpanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
jack wont retract

I have this problem on and off i spray the extended jack with silicone lube and usually this will get rid of the issue for a while there is a valve in the top of the jack that can be replaced but if you can retract the jack with help its probably ok also the springs are prone to loss of tension as years go by i had new ones made at a local spring shop for half the price of oem. hope this helps Mike

lead follow or get out of the WAY
1998 HR Endeavor 5.9 Cummins
redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same problem with my jacks at times. While the jacks are down, I take auto transmission fluid, put on a rag, wipe down the extended jack. Then take another clean towel and clean off the transmission fluid. This leaves them very slick. I also take a cotton swab and using transmission fluid clean the seals above the extended rod. The reason for using transmission fluid is because it is the same fluid as used in the jack hydtrolic system and will not hurt the rubber seals. This works for long time. I think what happens is when the jack is extended, it gets crud on the rod and the wiper seal when bringing in, the jack does not wipe all the crud (dirt, sand, etc) off the jack.
Also my 4 jacks takes about 4 minutes to come in. The back ones are the longest because they are farthest from the motor. I was told this by a HWH tech.
2015 Flagstaff Super V Trailer
Model 26VFKS
Towing with F150 Crew cab 5.0L
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Spray silicone is actually better. When it dries it does not leave an oily film that will attract dirt. I use it when my jacks are either slow or won't retract.

Jerry and Janell & Westie dog Gus (Augustus McCrae)
Navy by record Marine by choice
2005 Bounder 38N DP 300 CAT 2014 Jeep Wrangler
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It might be you have a valve sticking in the pump assembly. Try turning the manual valve release on the pump manifold to see if it retracts fully...if it does, its probably a valve solenoid not opening all the way.

I have one that doesn't hold pressure, so one jack slowly retracts...going to replace it soon.
2004 HR Ambassador 38PDQ
ImagesByHawk is offline   Reply With Quote