Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #1

leveling jack pads

Just curious about putting jack pads or blocks under the motorhome auto leveling system. Do you guys crawl under there and put them down all the time regardless of surface you are on top of? And if I'm parked in a grassy field do I just not auto level or put down the jack pads and autolevel? I'm trying to figure out all of the scenarios as I'll be doing some campground camping, some driveway camping on gravel, and some boondocking. Thanks.
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would use a piece of 2x12x12 for each jack in a grassy field. On a solid surface you won't need anything
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #3

I carry a combination , pads for soft surfaces and more pads in different thickness's to put under the jacks because of campgrounds being too far from level. Out on the road you'll find every type of campground offered to you from dead level to " holy cow you are kidding me... That's my site ????". It's better to have what you might need and never use it than need it and not have it is my theory . I drilled a hole in the end of each piece and use my awning rod to place and remove them. Whatever your situation is never ever raise both rear tires off the ground.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #4

I carry a set of cheap (Camping World) plastic pads and a set of 2 inch wood blocks.
Typically only use the plastic on soft surfaces like grass. They bend a little but their cheap and do the job. I'll use wood if its really soft or need the extra height. For gravel or concrete I don't bother using anything.
I have stayed at a couple of resorts that request you use pads on their concrete, plastic works for that purpose
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We went to a feed and/or tack store. Picked up a horse stall mat. They are about 1/2 to 3/4 inch think and about $30 to $50. We then cut it up into 12 x 12 blocks to use as mats under the jacks, levelers, helping keep the outdoor mat down, and well lots of uses for them and extremely sturdy.
I cannot take the credit for the idea so here is where I got it from several years ago RV Leveling Blocks Built for Indestructibility the site also has tips on cutting the mat
Old 05-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #6

Here is another suggestion. I was at Loews and walking through the garden are in the sections where they have stepping stones and pavers. No I am not suggesting a concrete stepping stone or paver. Bu I noticed some compressed rubber tiles about 1/2 thick and probably 15' to 18' square. These are designed with a mortar line on both side to resemble tile or pavers and lay out flat. They are flexible to a degree but heavy duty and can take a load. So I bought 8 of them and drilled a 1" hole in one corner of each and I can move them around with my awning rod. A lot easier to store and they work on concrete pads, gravel and any hard surface.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Jack pads are also important if you want to be a polite camper. I have been a little blase about putting out pads but it caught up with me this last week.

We were in a COE park in NW Arkansas with new asphalt sites. Overnight both rear jacks sunk into the asphalt about 3". Left big scars when I retracted the jacks

I just weighted the rig this week and have 19,000 lbs. on the rear jacks. I need to be more careful.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a set of these. They are really well constructed, and have padded wire handles to make it easy to carry and retrieve from under the coach when done. These things will last a lifetime, and the owner was really friendly to work with on the order.

Outrigger Pads, RV Jack Pads, Utility Safety Equipment - Outdoors for Life
2004 Jeep Liberty
Rvaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #9

I almost always use a 2in by 12inX12in. If on hard gravel/dirt, and only over night, might not use anything. On Black top, I always put blocks under pad if there more than over night. In the HOT weather, a jack will put holes in black top.
A Buxton. 2003 Mountain Aire MH.
Al, Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
2x12x12 laminated between two IKEA white cutting boards that run a buck fifty on a good day. I just screwed mine in and am getting some bowing of the laminate. Next batch will be glued and screwed then waterproofed. I did a set of 8 for about 40 bucks. Easy to move around with the awning rod, even when stacked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack pad4.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	39141  
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote