Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #1

leveling jack question......safe or not safe?

I have a 38' class A. We have a paved campsite that's slopes front to back at a pretty good rate. My question is that is it safe for any wheels to be completely off of the ground? My left rear is off the ground about 6". I put some 2x6 underneath the tires just for peace of mind. I just need to know if this is ok or not. Thanks! Happy independence day! Have a great weekend.

pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You understand how much weight you're putting at risk on a hill with only 1 wheel holding you...my friend you are living on the edge.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pacevett,

I've done this a number of times too and learned to chalk the wheels that are on the ground front and rear to keep the coach from moving as you lower the coach back to the ground. You can bend the piston on the jack easily when they are that uneven.

The way I do it now is to use boards to run those wheels up on and use boards under the jack too. This way I don't have to completely lift the wheels off the ground.

Dave
Old 07-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer is no... If both front wheels are off the ground and a gust of wind happens to smack into the side of the rig the jacks are NOT desinged to take side to side stress and they may pretzel on you .. Very expensive.

And depending on your brakes (My parking brake works on the drive shaft) then if just one rear wheel comes off the ground... Same situtation.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #5

I really don't like any wheels off the ground. With a diesel, the back wheels are the emergency brake wheels so if one is still on the ground you at least have an emergency brake. But like wa8yxm says for a gas coach with the drive shaft emergency brake, anytime you pick up one back wheel, the other is free to roll.

I use 16" long pieces of 2X12 under my tires to get the coach to a position where the wheels are still down solidly when I level the coach.

I have used the jacks to pick up a wheel so I can put the boards under the wheels in a few cases where the slope is extreme and I don't have enough boards to make a ramp. But when I do this, I chock the wheels so the coach does not move in the process.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #6

Rear wheels off the ground is really a bad idea, front wheels not so bad. If you can't get level with the rear wheels on the ground then either move or deal with the out of level conditon.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #7

It seems as if the coach wants to come up to high in the rear when I try to do it automatically. I just retracted all of the jacks and put them down in manual mode. Im not sure if I have a problem or just the nature of the beast. But I feel much safer now that all 4 corners are on the ground. Thanks for the input. Its amazing though how many coaches you see with 1 or more wheels off of the ground.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to smoker
pacevette, I had the same problem, when I tried to level the rv, with the auto system, it would raise the left rear wheel off of the ground and I would end up doing it manualy, until one day i was under the left rear and found a sensor wire unplug, you might look for something like that, causing your problem. I have the hwh system..
Old 07-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #9

I will check for that. I have the LCI. system
Old 07-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #10

I guess tomorrow I will pull all of the slides in and try to relevel it. Im guessing trying to do it with the slides out is not a good idea.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
NEVER have the rear wheels off the ground as that's where your parking brakes act on. Fronts may be OK, We have a Newmar Dutch Star, HWH jacks and Reyco Granning 14,600# IFS.
Newmar says it's OK
HWH says it's OK
Reyco Granning says it's OK UNLESS you have air leveling. We don't.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
Pacevett,

I've done this a number of times too and learned to chalk the wheels that are on the ground front and rear to keep the coach from moving as you lower the coach back to the ground. You can bend the piston on the jack easily when they are that uneven.

The way I do it now is to use boards to run those wheels up on and use boards under the jack too. This way I don't have to completely lift the wheels off the ground.

Dave
chalk = chock

chalk is what you use on a chalk board
Old 07-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The answer is no... If both front wheels are off the ground and a gust of wind happens to smack into the side of the rig the jacks are NOT desinged to take side to side stress and they may pretzel on you .. Very expensive.
Some are, some are not. HWH's are so no problem if you have them.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have always jacked with a wheel off the ground when required without a problem. Now I'm not so sure.

Tags
leveling