Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I would NOT use chain.
use the ratchet straps. Since you need to run the pump to extend the slides, i am concerned that a faulty valve may cause a jack to extend. Having a chain could cause more damage....unless it was a very light chain.

How many jacks are acting funny, strange to have multiple directional valves fail at the same time unless there is gunk in the system.

Dan
+1 no chains ratchet straps are easier to use and quiet

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
The only problem with a strap is they're usually limited to about 1,000 lbs, (1" wide) while the jack is capable of putting much more force to extend. Unless you buy larger capacity straps, it could still fail.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #17

Sorry about your vacation. When we had our Pace Arrow, this happened to the left front jack in hard sand. We had to dig under it to get the toad jack under enough of the leveling jack to lift it. We strapped it, went to the next campground, and thought we'd try it again. It appeared to be staying retracted on its own, but I didn't trust it.

If it helps, we found that if we lowered it onto a wooden block, leaving room for the jack to raise it back up, we could actually use it for leveling. We lived with it that way until we got to the repair shop. We called ahead on our route until we found a guy who knew what he was doing. He ordered the parts, and had us on our way in no time.

Happy travels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
In the end, I opened up the hydraulic lines at the tops of the cylinders that would not retract. Between a crow bar and a small jack, I was able to get them up - though with a big mess.

NEED advice. I am thinking now to get some small chains from Lowes and just chain them in place until we get to the east coast. Bummer as I am worried about the slide-outs and leveling, but what else can I do? I could top up the fluid and try them again, BUT, if they don't retract - i am back to a massive mess.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can u cap the line off after u remove it from the jack? Then it wouldn't matter if u ran slides in and out?
Old 06-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #19

for sme reason, I just can't amagine this is not fix able
Old 06-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just re-read the orig. post.
This is not a Jack problem, it is a hydraulic control problem. Either the control board, or the directional valves (solenoid) are bad.

His jacks are the "Kick Down" type, so they need hydraulic pressure for both extend/retract.

I don't know about Kwikee, but some systems always extend two jacks at a time to prevent chassis twisting.

Just to make your trip, I would use a ratchet strap if you are concerned that they will drop while traveling (without the pump running). Only gravity would make this happen.

Based on another thing the OP said (had to release fitting to force jack up), I would not use them during the trip.

Before you leave, with the jacks strapped, just make sure the slides work well and the jacks stay retracted.

good Luck,

Dan
Old 06-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #21

My 2006 Winnebago had the Level Best 3000 jacks. They were not the kick-down type. They went straight up/down, hydraulic both ways.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I would NOT use chain.
use the ratchet straps. Since you need to run the pump to extend the slides, i am concerned that a faulty valve may cause a jack to extend. Having a chain could cause more damage....unless it was a very light chain.

How many jacks are acting funny, strange to have multiple directional valves fail at the same time unless there is gunk in the system.

Dan
Dan: You broke my heart, I just saw this. Yes, they are now chained into place, took me a day in 108 degree heat. I am 99% sure that my pump does not run the slideouts though. You sure about that??? I saw all the lines, followed all the lines, replaced a line... everything is accounted for....???

Thanks, but I am really hoping you are wrong on this one.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:46 PM   #23

UPDATE x2

OK, so I spent a few days under the rig trying to figure this out, but failed. I do understand how it works now, so I am educated on this system. Here is what I think is wrong. There are two banks of values, one back of 4 is for extending and one back of four is for retracting. There is an extra value for reversing the flow. From 3 days of testing/tinkering (all in >105 degree heat), I have found that it extends well and seems to level just fine. It is not lifting the wheels off the ground like it used to.... but, three of the four jacks will not retract.

What I THINK is wrong is the extending valves are not opening to allow the fluid to return to the tank. I believe this because if I removed a line that goes to the extender valve and routed the fluid with a hose to the tank, the leg would retract just fine! Unfortunately, when the pump stops, the leg would fall to the ground again almost certainly sucking in air on the way down.

What a massive pain in the butt, but they are all chained in place now. Hoping to get on the road tomorrow, 5 days late :-(
Old 06-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Dan: You broke my heart, I just saw this. Yes, they are now chained into place, took me a day in 108 degree heat. I am 99% sure that my pump does not run the slideouts though. You sure about that??? I saw all the lines, followed all the lines, replaced a line... everything is accounted for....???

Thanks, but I am really hoping you are wrong on this one.
Hi Doc, I am basing my statement on my HWH system. So yes, it looks like I am wrong based on your additional tinkering.

At least you have learned enough to fix it yourself after your trip.

Have a safe one.

Dan
Old 06-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #25

Be thinking of you and the problem. Please keep us posted.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #26
doc

Appalachian Campers
Without reading all the comments, I will tell you that mine pump up and down. Low fluid will cause it not to retract just as it will cause them not to extend. Likely you have already tried this
Old 06-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Without reading all the comments, I will tell you that mine pump up and down. Low fluid will cause it not to retract just as it will cause them not to extend. Likely you have already tried this
Yeah, she has plenty of fluid.... I will need to dig into another time. I am sad it does not work though....
Old 06-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #28

Update x3

OK Folks: I made it successfully to Pennsylvania. The few times we extended the pop-outs we used leveling blocks to get it close. Worked fine. Of course it is a lot more "bouncy" being on shocks instead of jacks.

When I got into relatives home in PA, I decided to dig in... I took of the chains, topped up the fluid, no luck (as expected). I decided to pull out the valves that are connected to the top of the jacks (push for extending and return flow for retracting). Three of the four valves looks very bad. The screen filter was crushed and covered in gritty particulates. Not good I know, but I took off the screens, cleaned them out, straightened them out, blew compressed air through the valve as best I could, put them back in place. still no luck, maybe even worse. So I took them out again and purged several quarts of fluid by extending/retracting to push the junk out of the system. Put all the valves back in, still no luck. Now, the light on the dash for extended legs does not even work.

I can only guess that the corrosion that was on the legs when I bought it (from sea air exposure) is shredding the seals... not sure what else could have left so much junk behind. Now I got a real mess. Ideas what to do?

I can get a new pump with the valves for around $2400 and I can get the 4 jacks at $830 a peace. That's a lot of BREAD!!!! Unless folks here have a better idea, I am tempted to stay with the leveling blocks and maybe some stabilizing jacks for now.

Any other ideas/opinions?

Thanks!

Tags
cat, jacks, led, leveling, leveling jacks