Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For a residential fridge I don't think it matters. Absorbsion relies in gravity where as a residential fridge has a compressor to pump the coolant. You need to be level for the slides. Especially rack and pinion type.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Nxkharra, I wouldn't get too anal about the rig being exactly level especially in light of your having a residential refrigerator. You can spend hours going around with a level checking various places in the rig and you will NOT obtain perfect level at every conceivable place.

I remember just for the heck of it, trying to get the coach so that the shower door would stay put. But, in order to do that, I had to fiddle with the levelers so that other places would not be level. So, for example, I get the shower door so it will not swing one way or the other but then the microwave door wants to close by itself (and I want the microwave door to stay put so I don't have to hold it when putting something in or taking something out, etc.). I finally got it pretty close but then the refrigerator (non-residential) is not quite exactly level. So like I say, you can literally spend hours fiddling with it and still not obtaining perfect level in every part of the coach. So now, for me, as long as the refrigerator is relatively level, I'm okay. It's not like I'm going to stay in one spot for several years.

If in your shoes, I'd just let the computer level it and be done with it. Unless it's so "unlevel" that you feel like you're walking uphill, etc. You then may want to manually override and adjust it some but I wouldn't spend more than a few minutes worrying about the coach being exactly level ...especially not being mandatory since you have that nice residential refrigerator.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #17

Also hope you're enjoying our wonderful weather here today in Calgary. If you hang tough it will improve by next week. Enjoy your stay.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Scott, thanks. We have a residential fridge.....does that matter?

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013. Jeep Wrangler X, 2009
Full Timer from Norfolk VA
Nx,
Well Sir, as has been stated, a residential fridge is not too particular on being really level. And, with that being said, you can be off "some". Now, the term "some" can be totally subjective. I'm not lazy. If it takes just a minute or two, (literally) to get it to where the doors don't close automatically, the fridge is level, and the slides are able to travel out and back in, without any binding, I'm happy.

It's just no big deal to me to take a tad bit more time to make my coach, like my home. I mean, my home is level, why not the coach.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #19

For those of you who said being level is important.....you are correct. Our big slide (the whole side of MH) made a pupping noise when I tried to retract. Struggled to bring it in and now I am afraid to extend it while on the road until we get to a RV place. It is either out of track or motor issue.
I will never extend to slides unless we are absolutely leveled.
Any suggestions?

Old 05-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #20

As to being level; both Norcold and Dometic say (looking at frig door) 6 deg front-to-back, and 3 deg side-to-side is adequate to avoid damaging an absorption cooling unit. The old rule-of-thumb is, if you are comfortable walking around in the RV it is likely level-enough. Calculate that out for your RV and you see why the rule of thumb is used.
Sorry to hear about the slide noise. Hopefully it will be alright next use. Longer slides are more prone to damage than shorter slides if the frame is flexed.
You might look on the Winnebago website for an authorized repair facility near you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #21

Btw, the ice maker does not make ice anymore....i wonder if related.
Any thoughts please.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Btw, the ice maker does not make ice anymore....i wonder if related.
Any thoughts please.

Very doubtful. The icemaker is not critical, just so the water doesn't run out of the tray before freezing it will function.
Since yours is not operating, its time to begin a new thread for that subject.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #23
rpk

There's an app for that......Clinometer
Old 05-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #24

All, update...
Technician looked at the issue with the slide....it is not good. One of the tracks is badly damaged. After calling Winnebago it was decided that the Track and motor need to be replaced. They also said they recommend to change right and left track and motor.
The track comes with motor and can not be ordered separately.
The cost of this should exceed $1k.
I will update you.
Lessons learned. Do not extend the slides if the site is not level....even when the monitor says you are level.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Leveling MH

I don't have the Lippert system on my Winnebago (thank goodness), I don't need to be perfectly level and don't need jacks extend slides. Been using them for years this way without a single problem. The longest slide is about 20' long - not 'full wall'.

When I saw the newer Winnebagos with a full wall slide on the Lippert system I thought to myself "that's gonna be a problem"...

Also, never had a problem with the Norcold fridge.

Just my 2$

http://images.topix.com/gallery/up-L9DQDE6V26CCCQHH.jpg
Old 05-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #26

Agree that slide of almost 30 foot is just too long with all the weight of washer/dryer, all kichen items, wardrobe, tv, sink, and a sofa on it. At least it does not extend as much as other slides. That didnt help in my case.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I sympathize, that is a big ole slide and 2 degrees is hefty over the length.

In my old bus there were times we would manually adjust and you go outside and a wheel is off the ground. The suggested blocking routine is absolutely worth the effort, the jacks can just only go so far, sorry about your slide man, those systems are pretty finicky. After replacing slide motors, brakes, so forth, I'm loving not having any this go round. Once they are lined up though, should be fine. Does your slide have two tracks one each side... Surely is does. Top and bottom.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:48 PM   #28

Two tracks and two motors on each side. Top and bottom.

Tags
leveling