Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #1

Leveling Motorhome

Hi Everyone
My wife and I have been traveling in the motorhome now for several weeks. I thought that I either read somewhere or maybe while going over everything with the people at the dealership I was told that you should always level the motorhome before extending the slideouts. Now that we have been at several campgrounds my wife says that she noticed that some people level after they extend the slideouts. Do any of you more experienced travelers have any take on this one way or another?
strandedimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #2

This has been discussed at length on this board. Some manufacturers recommend leveling first and others recommend leveling last. I'd suggest you read your owners manual or better yet, call the manufacturer of your coach and ask for their recommendation because as we've found out through discussion. manufacturers change their recommendations as problems develop.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #3

Our previous motorhome ('08 Monaco Dynasty) recommended that we put the slides out first then level. The same is with the Prevost, slides out then level.

On the Dynasty, we had air leveling and hydraulic legs (3), so it depended on the surface on which one I would use. The Prevost has air leveling only.

When I first start the engine on the Prevost after it has been leveled, I set the leveling switch to 'auto' which brings it to ride height fairly quick. Then, I can pull the slide rooms in.

I would certainly check in your manual or ask your manufacturer.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #4

My answer to your question would be dependent on the type of suspension you have and how it operates, and what type of leveling system you have and how it operates. A steel spring suspension can apply a significant twist to the chassis when an air suspension setting in the same location won't. Most leveling systems are hydraulic and some do a very good job leveling without applying any chassis twist, others don't do nearly as good of job.

Mostly it's knowing your systems, which is what the manufacturer should know when giving you instructions for your coach.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #5

There is a big yellow sticker next to our leveling control that says to make sure the coach is level prior to operating the slide. But I agree with the others, follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
agilabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #6

Mine says, slide out first then level.
Check your manual, seems not all the same.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #7

My manual says level with slides in. Even if it didn't I would do it this way regardless. I'm new to this, but taking the coach on the first couple of trial runs and a couple of lumps on my head from banging it into the bottom of the slide out, my procedure is to level the coach first. Then I get everything out of the basement I will be using for my stay, chairs, grill, etc., I then do my hookups and then take the slides out. Then I do a quick check to make sure it's still level, which so far it has remained level and I'm done. I find this works best for us as I don't have to fight the slide overhang to get items from the basement and no longer worry about busting my head or breaking my back bending underneath the slides. I breakdown the same way. Slides in first, load our gear back in the basement, unhook all hookups and then retract all jacks and move on.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
The Winnebago manual, at least on my RV, says level then extend slides. And bring slides in before retracting jacks.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I always level before extending the slides. This is the way my Motorhome book tells me to do it.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #10

The only advantage I have found in leveling after extending slides is when on gravel and the weight on the heavier slide side makes a difference in the jacks penetrating the surface.

Hard surfaces always check clearance when parking, level first and double check your clearance before extending slides. Doing it this way for over 25 years back when slides first came out.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #11

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/slid...st-408038.html
Old 12-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I believe leveling the MH first places less stress on the slide and its structure..

I level first, then let the slide out.

When I leave, I do the reverse order. Pull the slide in, then retract the levelers.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:41 AM   #13
Commercial Member

read the manual. all manufacturers include an operators manual, or publish one on line. you would think they would know best.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #14

Mine (02 H.R. Imperial) states in the manual, about 5 different times, slides out first then level. So that is how I do it. Now the reverse of that is a pain. Retract jacks, start engine, wait for air pressure, then kill engine to pull slides in, then re start engine. Screw that. I pulled the relay that kills slide operation with engine running. Now it's easy, retract jacks, start engine, pull in slides. Done. I don't have kids to worry about hitting the slide switches while driving, so the slide lock out is not important to me . I prefer not to have to start it multiple times to leave.

Tags
leveling, motorhome