Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #1

Leveling Question

When leveling the power jacks in auto it will sometime put my wheels up off the ground. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470097495.021036.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	134693 I've heard not to do this. This is a front engine gasser (V10) so it's probably pretty heavy. What's everybody say about this? Is it a no no? What's it gonna hurt?
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I asked this same question some years ago on our '02 40' Dutch Star. the answers I got were:
Newmar - no problem
Spartan - no problem
Reyco-Granning - no problem
Koni - no problem
HWH - no problem

I did it for 13 year during winter storage and never had to even replace a spring nor seal
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

Lifting the front wheels off the ground is common and in most cases not a problem. Never lift the rears off the ground.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

I have read not an issue, but I personally don't feel comfortable doing this. So if I run into this situation, I break out the blocks to drive the wheels onto and then put additional blocking under the jacks to make up the distance so the wheels never come off the ground.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:17 PM   #5

If the jacks lift wheels up without a grunt then okay.

Check with manufacturer to be certian about your procedure to insure proper stresses and things.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Used to be a problem with some makes & models, but generally has NOT been for quite some time. Back in the 90's, it wasn't all that unusual for the front cap and windshield frame support to be somewhat short of adequately and for several years people reported cracked or popped-out windshields unless the front end was jacked cautiously. Lifting the wheels off the ground got a bad rep at that time, though it was probably just general stress and frame twisting than the fact that the wheels left the ground.

Most RV chassis, gas and diesel both, are much stronger than they were up to about 2000, so newer rigs seem pretty much impervious to such problems. Jack control systems have improved as well, eliminating a lot of the stress extremes.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #7

When you use the jacks to level, there is absolutely no issue raising the front wheels off the ground.

Think of it this way...if the front is a little low, you use the jacks to lift the front end to level the coach. When you're done, the front tires are still on the ground. However, since the jacks have lifted the front, even though the tires are still touching the ground, there may be only 50 or 100 pounds on them! At that point, what's the difference whether they are touching the ground or not?

It's just not a big deal.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lifting the front off the ground should not be an issue; however If I am on that much of a slope in the first place, I help the leveling system by driving up on some blocks to help get it close to level in the beginning. Now the thing to remember is if you do this, you also have to place the same amount of leveling blocks under the feet of the levels.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Lifting the front wheels off the ground is common and in most cases not a problem. Never lift the rears off the ground.

Agree.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
However, since the jacks have lifted the front, even though the tires are still touching the ground, there may be only 50 or 100 pounds on them! At that point, what's the difference whether they are touching the ground or not?
Wouldn't the same logic applies to those who say "never lift the rears off the ground"? I think so. Nor do I think the coach is going to roll anywhere with 15k-20k of weight on the rear jacks. Probably as good a 'parking brake' as the one on the wheels. The only concern is whether the jack legs might bend - some of them may be a bit skimpy!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Wouldn't the same logic applies to those who say "never lift the rears off the ground"? I think so. Nor do I think the coach is going to roll anywhere with 15k-20k of weight on the rear jacks. Probably as good a 'parking brake' as the one on the wheels. The only concern is whether the jack legs might bend - some of them may be a bit skimpy!
The reason for not lifting the rear wheels off the ground on a Ford chassis is that the parking brake is located on the drive shaft. Lifting one or more of the rear wheels would minimize or eliminate the holding power of the brake. Thus if not parked on a level surface the coach could roll down an incline and at the very least damage the jacks.

The later models with "auto leveling" first "ground" the jacks before beginning the leveling process. Each jack is extended until the controller senses 300 psi on the cylinder. Then it uses the level sensor to attempt to bring all 4 corners to the same height. If the coach is on a level hard surface you can have as little as 300 lbs. of pressure on the foot pads.

In any case We don't leave one wheel off the ground. If the system needs to raise a front corner to the point a wheel is off the ground we manually raise that corner high enough to slip several of the "Lego style" blocks under the tire. Then we lower the coach and start the auto level process over.

The only place I can think this scenario would happen is on an unpaved site. In that case you don't know how firm the soil is below the jack. Rather than "assume" the soil is stable enough to hold the weight we position the blocks under the wheel to more evenly distribute the weight. There's less chance of the corner sinking and twisting the frame and possibly making the slides, doors and windows bind. In some cases I've heard of windshields cracking or popping out when the frame is badly twisted.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

Yes, I have to agree, Gary. A motor home sitting on the jacks with all four wheels off the ground is not going anywhere. If the jack legs are so weak that they bend, that coach has serious problems beyond worrying about whether it's level or has the wheels off the ground.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #13

Thank you everybody for all your input. I will sleep better tonight. This is such a great forum supported by great people.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Yes, I have to agree, Gary. A motor home sitting on the jacks with all four wheels off the ground is not going anywhere. If the jack legs are so weak that they bend, that coach has serious problems beyond worrying about whether it's level or has the wheels off the ground.
Here's a quote from the "leveling" section of the 2014 Itasca Meridian owners manual. The Meridian is built on a Freightliner Maxum chassis and used a Power Gear leveling system:

NOTE: When parking on an uneven site always park the front of the vehicle to the downhill side. This allows you to level by raising the front end rather than the rear. Since only the rear wheels are locked while in PARK raising either of the rear wheels off the ground could allow the vehicle to roll off the jacks.

The same note appears in the 2005 Meridian owners manual when Winnebago Industries was using HWH leveling systems, and in the 2013 Adventurer for the Lippert leveling system.

Regardless of the chassis or leveling system the manufacturer warns against raising the rear wheels off the ground. They also caution to inspect the undercarriage for damage should the coach move with the jacks extended.

Tags
leveling