Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Fred403 Send a message via Yahoo to Fred403
Leveling Question

Why do manufactures say to put out the slides prior to leveling the coach? In why limited knowledge, leveling the coach first and then putting out slides is much easier on all mechanics of the slides and puts less stress on the unit.
Fred403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Not all of them do, depends on the coach.

There was a long discussion about this recently, but I can't find it.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Level before you put your slides out. If you do the slides before you are asking for problems!!
Don
Old 03-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #4

I've heard advice on both sides.

I think common sense says that if you are way out of level, level first then fine after if needed. If you are on hard, level ground, it probably doesn't matter which order.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:51 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I can tell you from experience....level then open the slides! Now small light weight slides you might get away with it, not big heavy ones. Cost me big bucks to get my kitchen slide repaired when things moved when I opened the slide when slopped a few feet.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1885.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	156705
Old 03-31-2017, 10:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlock View Post
Level before you put your slides out. If you do the slides before you are asking for problems!!
Don
Not for a Monaco coach! Many others also want the slides out at "ride height" before leveling, My beaver, for example. There is I found no blanket answer! It depends on the coach maker and how the slides mechanism work. I was cautioned that serious damage could be done if I leveled first by several techs on my Beaver walk through. On my winny it was exactly the opposite, level then slides out.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The key is do whatever your owner's manual or manufacturer says. Our friends just bought a new Fleetwood Discovery 40X and theirs says slides out first, then level. It's just the opposite for our Tiffin.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do as your RV manufacturer recommends.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
It depends on the manufacturer. Newmar recommends that you put the slide out first, then level for my year (2015) DP. The reasoning being that the "Hole" in the side of the MH is truer when aired up than after leveling.

I can attest that on completely level ground, it doesn't seem to matter but if you've pulled into an unlevel site, especially from an off camber turn, the slide will bind after leveling.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:31 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My CC says to level first (I have air leveling only) then open slides. But it really depends on what your RV manufacturer says not what you "hear" on the internet!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
x2 on the folks saying do what your manufacturer says and pay attention to the PDI. Our sales person and the techs went to lengths to ingrain to us to do the slides first while it's on the air bags, then do the levelers when setting up-reverse when taking down. When I wanted to understand the why of it (seems counterintuitive to me) the explanation centered around the twisting done in the leveling process if it's fairly unlevel ground. The tile flooring suffers as well, at least I was led to believe. I do notice my slides work smoother and quieter when I do it on the air bags versus after the leveling process. I can't explain why that is, perhaps the extra space when the air bags are inflated or something, but it's noticeable on my coach.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if this is true for all coaches, but Monaco recommended that we extend the slides while the leveling system is in the "travel" mode. We then dump the air to put the entry door step as low as possible, then finally level!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:35 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
READ your Coach Manual... Slide deployment is Coach specific! Our Beaver had a label next to the jack panel that stated "WARNING, extend slides before leveling", Our Newmar manual states "Level Coach before extending slides" while the Newmar Full Wall slide units state "Extend slides before leveling"... Read your manual...
Old 03-31-2017, 06:08 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlock View Post
Don
The above is not a good idea with a Monaco product. They are built (slides put in) and initially adjusted with the coach at ride height. Thats how they are built to go in and out. I forgot one time and almost ripped the trim out on the top of one of my slides. At ride height there is never a problem.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling