Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2009, 07:18 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude m View Post
I just bought a monaco night. 2005
This may sound dumb, but should you dump air,level, then pop out slides. OR what order. we got it from the bank & thay know less than i do. also
new to forum.
Monaco manuals specifically state, extend slides prior to leveling. Most Monaco owners have adhered to this practice with few problems. Many will tell you that this holds true for most situations except for extremely unlevel sites. Then again try to move if the site is that unlevel. The procedure for Monaco is as follows.

With fully aired up bags, extend all slides, dump air (use brake pedal pressure to dump faster), lower front jack/s to contact ground then rear jacks to contact ground and adjust as necessary. Many believe that manual activation is better than automatic as far as potential torque and windshield shift/damage.

To leave, air up bags (reduces sudden drop when jacks are retracted), retract all jacks, then retract slides (ignition must be off to retract slides), finally manually check to make sure all jacks fully retracted.

If I missed anything or some tips for Monacos, someone else help me out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So you level VIA THE AIR Bags, then extend slides...

And when you retract them you are again sitting level on the air bags

Old 03-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I di not mean to imply that you level via the air bags. You should not dump the air bags or extend the jacks prior to extending the slides. Also, the coach bags should be aired up before you retract the jacks to help cushion the drop of the jack retraction and then, retract the slides.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #18

Thanks 007.. i have heard so lots of differnt ways. yours makes since.
claude m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Claude M. You have been given some very bad information on slides. I don't know how to provide a link, but if you go to the Monaco Owners forum and look at the thread for "auto leveling" you will see how to extend the slides properly. Sorry but 007 is dead wrong in his reply. You could face structual and windshield damage if you don't follow the Monaco procedure.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Claude, please do it the way that 007 says which is contradictory to what Monaco, the manufacturer who knows about their own design and construction says in their owner's manuals. Monaco obviously wants you to damage your coach and if they knew better would defer to someone else,s personal opinion rather than that of their professional engineers!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It looks like the debate may still be going on, here is a link to the other thread.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #22

Jim S. i understand you to say just the opposite from 007.. i thought dump so you are low, elevel so there is no bind in frame, then put out slides .. but what do i know im new. . manuals are usually right. thanks . thanks you guys help a lot.
claude m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude m View Post
Jim S. i understand you to say just the opposite from 007.. i thought dump so you are low, level so there is no bind in frame, then put out slides .. but what do i know I'm new. . manuals are usually right. thanks . thanks you guys help a lot.
Claude m... First of all, welcome to iRV2! Now ... as far as the debate... According to Monaco Coach Corp... there is no debate!! Please do it as Jim Stewart has stated.
May I suggest you do make sure any specific question to your Monaco is asked on the Monaco Forum located here ...you will find people with lots of knowledge about their Monaco products hanging around there.

Again..welcome to iRV2...we hope you visit & post often!!

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Claude M.,
All respect to “007”. His original post says “…You should always level your coach with jacks before putting out your slides.
The Monaco manuals states otherwise I have heard….”

I have an ’01 Monaco Diplomat and the owner’s manual says move the slides in or out with the airbags inflated – no heard about it!

I have discussed this point with Ed Cowan, Monaco’s full time technical representative at Lazyday’s RV. Ed also provides training to the repair techs at Monaco’s Wildwood, FL repair facility. Ed’s take on the reason behind Monaco’s instruction in the Owner’s Manual was that: “when the slides are originally fitted to the sidewall frame during the manufacturing process it is done with the airbag suspension full, in the travel position.”

When you deflate the airbags you can alter the relationship between the sidewall opening and the slide itself. If I had a site that was so unlevel that I was significantly worried about putting my slide out, with the suspension aired up – I would ask for another site.

Green lights and soft breezes.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I will not make any claims that I have it correct all the time. Monaco has it right they built it.
I have a friend with a 2002, 4 slide, Knight with three point system that had problems so the frame rails would bend and compartment doors passenger side would not open.
We checked the front single jack and the steel bar that attached to the two main rails had a bend in it also. They had to reinforce all steel work for better support.
A three point system is difficult to operate as I found out on a Bounder especially on uneven ground. If the front jack went to high the side door would bind on threshold.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling