Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Heartland RV Club
Question Leveling question

I am a newbie in the mh nation. I live on 10 acres and have our new to us 2000 journey parked on unlevel road. Its fairly level front to back but sits with one side lower than the other. Is it important to level the mh? It will be there off and on until the ground dries up and I can move it down the hill to my rv pad. Also, when using air brakes to park should I leave the transmission in nuetral? Is it important to block the tires? I keep wondering what will happen if the air gets to low?
zagguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagguy View Post
I am a newbie in the mh nation. I live on 10 acres and have our new to us 2000 journey parked on unlevel road. Its fairly level front to back but sits with one side lower than the other. Is it important to level the mh? It will be there off and on until the ground dries up and I can move it down the hill to my rv pad. Also, when using air brakes to park should I leave the transmission in nuetral? Is it important to block the tires? I keep wondering what will happen if the air gets to low?
It is OK to let it sit out of level as long as the Refer is not turned on. Air brakes are not a problem when out of air. It actually is exactly the opposite. Air pressure is used to release the brakes. If no air, the brakes lock on. Trans should be in neutral.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Heartland RV Club
Thank you, they seemed liked stupid questions but I was concerned,,,thanks again
zagguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagguy View Post
Thank you, they seemed liked stupid questions but I was concerned,,,thanks again
No stupid questions at this forum. There are other forums that I have joined and tried to participate in, however I finally found them not too friendly, whereas here, you can ask anything and even ask it over again on a different thread, you will never be ridiculed or slammed for a stupid question.

Remember, all of us have been there at one time or another when first starting out so enjoy, read and learn as much as you can.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
No stupid questions at this forum. There are other forums that I have joined and tried to participate in, however I finally found them not too friendly, whereas here, you can ask anything and even ask it over again on a different thread, you will never be ridiculed or slammed for a stupid question.

Remember, all of us have been there at one time or another when first starting out so enjoy, read and learn as much as you can.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Amen to that.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #6

ok, here's one: we have the same problem but front to back. to level (using jacks only) mr. ziffel's rear wheels are about 4" off the ground. besides the obvious problem--that the parking brake only brakes the rear wheels--is there any other potential problem with this arrangement?

we do not have airbrakes; we are on a FRED chassis.
Money Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We also have a leveling question.
When we have our RV stored on our side driveway, it levels itself with the back tires off the ground, maybe 2 or 3"....we have the 3 point leveling system....should we raise the rear jacks so the tires are touching? We dump the air before leveling as recommended in the "book".
Jerry & Sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Again, every situation is different. If you are only storing the rig, I would not worry about how level it is. If you are maintaining shore power and have the refer running them it is critical that the rig be level during the storage period.

Now for the rigs that require the REAR wheels to be off the ground for proper level, it is a must that you chock the front wheels with good hefty chocks on both sides of the rig and wheels to prevent the rig from moving in either direction. Without the chocks, you risk some major damage not only to your jacks with a runaway rig but the safety of you and others around you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #9

FlyGuys and Sydney

I personally do not like to have wheels totally off the ground for any length of time. Especially the rears because of brakes not being on.

I would try to put something on the ground like this so that the tires are on something solid. You could then put road base leading to them so that it becomes a semi-level drive. These are 6" tall and 16" wide so you could build up something pretty easily that would work.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandys Man View Post
FlyGuys and Sydney

I personally do not like to have wheels totally off the ground for any length of time. Especially the rears because of brakes not being on.

I would try to put something on the ground like this so that the tires are on something solid. You could then put road base leading to them so that it becomes a semi-level drive. These are 6" tall and 16" wide so you could build up something pretty easily that would work.
not a bad idea. i could place several of those then build-up front and back with our tractor front-end loader.

thanks!
Money Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As someone else said as long as the fridge is off, no problem (Well usually no problem) and in fact there may even be an advantage.. I used to store my old trailer very very unlevel, no fridge so I did not have to worry about that but the roof "Drained" way better when it rained.

Now... If you do plan on working in it on and off, You might feel more comfortable if you level it. Just so you know.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #12

Costly mistakes are much worse than asking a question when you are not sure.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #13

As MandysMan said, your brakes are only on the rear wheels when parked. With rear wheels off ground, you have NO BRAKES active on your rig. My owners manual states that no wheels should be off of some support when jacks are down.
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote