Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sounds as if an Owners Manual needs to be obtained - then read...
You'll find the Monaco Roadmaster chassis requires the slides to be "FIRST OUT - LAST IN".
We had much rather use the factory approved methods than one that starts "I do it this way" and from a non Monaco owner at that!

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #16

leveling sequence

Both ways kindof make sence but why would HR say to level first and dealer says slides out first!!!! And what about the low voltage warning light, Must have engine running filling airbags and holding dump button to EMPTY bags. If I don't empty bags it is about 6 inches higher then not empty when level. And coach is shacky, because leveler jacks are more extended.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #17

Whatever the manual said. On our Fleetwood Providence the seq is dump air, level coach, slides out then reverse it. also with the motor on, will not level with motor off.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbargolf View Post
Whatever the manual said. On our Fleetwood Providence the seq is dump air, level coach, slides out then reverse it. also with the motor on, will not level with motor off.

Must be a Fleetwood thing. My Bounder is done the same way.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Sounds as if an Owners Manual needs to be obtained - then read...
You'll find the Monaco Roadmaster chassis requires the slides to be "FIRST OUT - LAST IN".
We had much rather use the factory approved methods than one that starts "I do it this way" and from a non Monaco owner at that!

^^ This. The manufacturer is your best source for reliable information.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #20

I cannot imagine putting slides out when the coach is not level. It could be in any kind of a bind. Even twisted just a little bit would make no sense. Once level, everything should be square and operate smoothly but that's IMHO.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #21

Only go by the manufacturers directions some MH's are notorious for poping out a windshield I think HR is one of them. They all don't level alike.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Many have noted that on this subject, Monaco/HR says slides out first, then level, while just about every other manufacturer says the opposite. Some feel it has to do with the way the coach is manufactured. I figure it doesn't matter, do it the way your manufacturer/manual says, and ignore all advice to the contrary!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Last out and First in for Fleetwood....First out and Last in for Monaco. The OP needs to make a call to HR and find out what the in's and out's of his coach are?
Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #24

With both of the diesel RV's I have owned (my current Newmar and the Rexhall before it) the process was Dump... Level ... Slides. In the case of the Rexhall it would not let me even put the slides out till the jacks where down and the jacks would not go down unless I had dumped the air bags. On the Newmar the jacks do not have enough play to level the RV with the airbags up and if I dump it after they are down it will bend the jacks as it moves forward a little while the air is leaving the system.

On a side note, with the system dumped it should not fill the bags, even with the engine running until you hit store, at least on the Spartan Chassis, that is the purpose of the master dump solenoid (https://www.rvchassisparts.com:8443/...is/runApp?id=5)
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
.Curious! Why would you place attentional stress
on a already stressed slide drive motor with a possible unleveled, uphill movement? Dump, level, slide out--that's what manufacturer directed and that's what we've always done. I'm not a engineer, but I would think with a heavy slide already extended to the downside, leveling would also place additional stress on slide side jacks. Just me...
Old 10-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
there are a lot of different replies to this thread. To be honest some of them are rather shocking to me. I would condone going online or calling the manufacturer of your unit if you can and then following their procedure. I am shocked because when I had a fifth wheeler one of the things I did not like about it was the requirement to always level the coach before sliding the slides out. I had to level it then take it off of the truck and then I could put out my slides when I just was going to make a stop overnight or just to sleep when on a trip. The way it (and most of the others I have seen) are constructed I could not get into the refrigerator for something to eat or a quick lunch if I was just taking a break on the trip for lunch. I have not heard before this thread instructions to put out slides before leveling the coach. It would seem to me that if the coach was not level the frame could be in a bit of a bind keeping the slide from going out rather than the other way around.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE="macadnphyl;1780840"]This is bizarre and incomprehensible. You would always dump the air bags, level the coach and then deploy the slides. Anything else is completely illogical, and makes no sense. Think about it ![/QUOT

Gives you a good idea about how poorly some of these coaches are built.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting post... Different coaches, different requirements... Our Newmar states: level coach (which dumps air) then deploy slides. Our last coach, a 2002 Beaver Patriot had a red warning label next to the levelers which stated "Deploy slides BEFORE leveling"! Go figure...

Tags
leveling