Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I was told by Monaco Tech Support to extend the slides while to air bags were still in the "Travel" position. After I do that, then I dump all the air to get the step as low to the ground as possible, finally I level.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #30

All these different leveling solutions are giving me a headache. I'll just keep doing it the way I've been doing it for years. But I'll keep it to myself, because it seems I'm doing it the way that makes the most sense to me and it works.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #31

A friend has a Newmar Essex; his owners manual states slide out after leveling and in before retracting (last out, first in) jacks. My Winnnebago Ultimate Freedom manual says the same thing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 14' H R Vacationer that was delivered by the Senior Monaco R V tech and here is what he told me....almost word for word. When leveling...slides out first then jacks down....Then reverse order when bringing everything in...jacks first. He said the reason why is that when Monaco builds ALL of their coaches they cut the hole and install all slides Without the jacks down. Also he said that if you do it the opposite you will twist the slide room and crease the wall. He said you don't know how many coaches I inspect across the country, where the owners have not done this sequence properly. In doing so, you void warranty and incure ALL costs for the repair. Please don't take my word for it, but either check your owners manual or better yet give tech support a call. The money you save will be your own. This is not my opinion but fact.
I was also told that all manufactures don't do it the same way. Monaco is one of the few that do it this way. I like most would have done it jacks first, but I do it as he instructed.
If anyone would like his name PM me and I will give it to you.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
On fourth MH with slides, One Monaco, one Holiday Rambler and two Tiffins and was always told to NEVER put slides out before leveling. I can't imagine why any manufacture would condone slideouts out first then level ???
It mentions in my Monaco manual exactly why. It is apparently different in different MHs but they indicates in the manual if I raise the MH and level it the chassis can flex the enough so that the slide will not go in and out smoothly and can stick. I do have a full slide. Don't know if that is the same instruction for all of their models or not.

All that said it is a pita. First you have to shut off the ignition for slide to energize. Then start engine to operate the jacks.

I suspect the people that build most RVs have never RV'd a day in their entire life.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
There is no single answer to cover all manufacturers. On my Tiffin it's level first, then extend the slides. I have a friend with a Monaco that extends the slides, then levels. Extending slides first, then leveling is also the method specified by Entegra.

The best answer is to check your owner's manual or the manufacturer.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
There is no single answer to cover all manufacturers. On my Tiffin it's level first, then extend the slides. I have a friend with a Monaco that extends the slides, then levels. Extending slides first, then leveling is also the method specified by Entegra.

The best answer is to check your owner's manual or the manufacturer.
Yes, owners manual first. My owners manual says a torqued chassis can effect slide operation. I have a full MH slide. Smaller slide I wouldn't worry about it. I can see a 25 ft slide causing problems if you put jacks down first.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #36

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post

All that said it is a pita. First you have to shut off the ignition for slide to energize. Then start engine to operate the jacks.
This is the part I dont like !
Should have set it up so you can extend slides with engine running, in neutral, with parking brake on!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #37

All you guys can level your coach slide your out/in what ever works for you. To me it makes no sense to slide out/in first and heres why. The air bags gives you a comfortable ride because the air bags are between your frame and body of your coach. The jacks are mounted to the frame . The slide outs are in the body of the coach. I have torned my flooring out of my coach by not letting the air out of the airbags first, leveling the coach and last the slides. I have always done it that way and got in a hurry while talking with someone and forgot . It was a costly mistake. What ever works for you, but my books tells is this way and it make sense to do it that way. The body and the frame are not the same with air in the airbags. Once the body and the frame are the same with the air out of the bags you can feel the body sit solid down on the frame then you're leveling one item. Does that make sense? I won't make the same mistake twice.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwat91 View Post
All you guys can level your coach slide your out/in what ever works for you. To me it makes no sense to slide out/in first and heres why. The air bags gives you a comfortable ride because the air bags are between your frame and body of your coach. The jacks are mounted to the frame . The slide outs are in the body of the coach. I have torned my flooring out of my coach by not letting the air out of the airbags first, leveling the coach and last the slides. I have always done it that way and got in a hurry while talking with someone and forgot . It was a costly mistake. What ever works for you, but my books tells is this way and it make sense to do it that way. The body and the frame are not the same with air in the airbags. Once the body and the frame are the same with the air out of the bags you can feel the body sit solid down on the frame then you're leveling one item. Does that make sense? I won't make the same mistake twice.
Sounds great but do you have a 25 ft slide? If chassis torques the 25 ft slide can jam as manufacturer says. If I had a 8 ft slide I would agree it wouldn't make any difference.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
We are talking about HR/Monaco coaches here and the manual states slide out first. Whatever the procedure is for other brands is a moot point.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowpointe View Post
We are talking about HR/Monaco coaches here and the manual states slide out first. Whatever the procedure is for other brands is a moot point.
2013 Monaco 25 ft slide here. Slide first then jacks.

Tags
leveling