Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

Leveling the coach

I have a coach with three Swintek slides and have always been concerned about the damage a twisted coach chassis could do to the slides. I always level my coach manually and when leveling side to side as per LCI directions, the hydraulic leveling system can put a significant twist on the coach. I think this twisting of the coach body is largely responsible for the problems with the slide system.
In order to get my coach body nearly parallel front & back, I have installed levels on each end. The right readout is connected to a level bolted to the rear jack mounting bracket. The left level senses the position of the front of the coach. To set them I simply leveled the floor with a 4' level and a digital level setting on top of it to have two to compare. Once the floor is level, just push the "0" set button on the readout. The same procedure is done with the front level. From then on you know the amount of twist that is being applied by the leveling jacks.
In the picture you'll notice the front is .3* to the left and the rear is .4* to the left. This is setting in my drive and is in excellent position to extend the slides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585 (5).jpg
Views:	108
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	111253  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #2

I never felt it was necessary to go through such extremes. If things are bad enough to twist the frame then blocks under the wheels may be best. I also prefer to use my auto level over my manual because it puts each jack down individually and in very small increments and it is always perfect when done.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The HWH system always operates two jacks at one time to minimize twisting during leveling. This also helps to prevent the front windshield from cracking.

I have been using a bubble level on the floor to determine where to put wood blocks under the wheels, and for final leveling.

IMO, anything close is fine.

Regards,

Dan
Old 11-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
I have a coach with three Swintek slides and have always been concerned about the damage a twisted coach chassis could do to the slides. I always level my coach manually and when leveling side to side as per LCI directions, the hydraulic leveling system can put a significant twist on the coach. I think this twisting of the coach body is largely responsible for the problems with the slide system.
In order to get my coach body nearly parallel front & back, I have installed levels on each end. The right readout is connected to a level bolted to the rear jack mounting bracket. The left level senses the position of the front of the coach. To set them I simply leveled the floor with a 4' level and a digital level setting on top of it to have two to compare. Once the floor is level, just push the "0" set button on the readout. The same procedure is done with the front level. From then on you know the amount of twist that is being applied by the leveling jacks.
In the picture you'll notice the front is .3* to the left and the rear is .4* to the left. This is setting in my drive and is in excellent position to extend the slides.
Well Sir,
The other answers you've been given are good. I will add that, since I don't know who the maker of your leveling system is, and or, what model, I'm not sure just why you're TWISTING the frame and or, coach, while moving or, using the side jacks. As has been stated, at least the HWH system utilizes TWO jacks on any operation, be it either side or, either end.

So, let's say when you arrive at a campsite or RV parking spot and, it's low in the front some and, leaning to left some. Well, if it were mine, the first thing I'd do is, put out blocks or ramps under the front tires to drive up on to get it primarily level. Maybe a ramp and an extra piece of wood, under the left one 'cause it was lower than the right side.

Based on just how low you might be, the ramps might be really close in primary level. Then, I'd lower the jacks in the front, to do the finalizing of the front. Now you're level, end to end. Now, it's time for the side leveling. If I had to, I'd place blocks under the jacks 'cause they're already high due to the fact that you (or me) have driven up on ramps etc. to do the primary leveling.

Then, simply lower the low side jacks 'till they came in contact with the blocks. Then, continue to raise that side 'till you're level, side to side.

Now, also what's been stated is that you seem to be going to some extreme to make front and rear dead parallel. Well, again, not knowing your jacks, in an HWH system, both side jacks will raise the coach simultaneously. There should be no TWEAKING of the frame or body.

Everyone's got their own tactics on leveling. Just how you accomplish the end result is up to you. If you feel you need to do all that you've stated, well, I guess if it works for you, then by all means, do what makes you happy. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #5

I have never manually leveled our coach. I just it the Auto Level button & it does it's thing. The coach has always been level. It is a Lippert system.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
I have never manually leveled our coach. I just it the Auto Level button & it does it's thing. The coach has always been level. It is a Lippert system.
CampingCajun,
There's nothing wrong with auto-leveling systems as long as:
1. The sight you pick and park on allows the for the auto-leveling system to complete it's assignment without going beyond the limits of the travel of the jacks.
2. If the auto-leveling system functions basically NORMAL. That is, there have been many complaints on here and other RV forums that even when parked on almost completely level surfaces, some auto-leveling systems have risen the coaches, especially the front ends, to considerably higher than needed elevation before the system is satisfied.

I really like our auto-leveling system made by HWH and, it functions pretty much normally as in, it doesn't raise the coach, front or rear, any higher than needed to achieve level.

As for the OP, again, I and some others think he's being a tad bit over concerned in his leveling operation. But, it's his and, he needs to do what makes him happy when doing his leveling process.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling