Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Leveling the coach, bathroom door won't shut

I have a manual leveling jacks, it gives me an amber light where I am low. I also have tried using a small torpedo level and more recent a nice app on the kindle clinometer which give me 1/10 degrees. I don't care much for the chassis level indicator and have been using the kindle to level both up front and at the bath room door. I get with in 3/10 of a degree both directions but the door won't shut hitting the door jam bottom 3-4 inches by 1/8 inch. When I have checked the door it appears plum?

I am about to carve off a bit on the door any suggestion's

Thanks Gene
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
How did you check plumb? I'd use a builder's square to check angles at door frame and floor. When sitting on the tires does the door close? Is it only not fitting while on the jacks?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #3

Does the door close properly when your up on the air suspension ?

EDIT: and as always Bob, types faster than I do.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneandea View Post
I have a manual leveling jacks, it gives me an amber light where I am low. I also have tried using a small torpedo level and more recent a nice app on the kindle clinometer which give me 1/10 degrees. I don't care much for the chassis level indicator and have been using the kindle to level both up front and at the bath room door. I get with in 3/10 of a degree both directions but the door won't shut hitting the door jam bottom 3-4 inches by 1/8 inch. When I have checked the door it appears plum?
I am about to carve off a bit on the door any suggestion's
Thanks Gene
Gene
If when the coach is level the bathroom door hits the jamb I would shave off enough of the door with a carpenters wood plane to make it fit properly.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check this first

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Gene
If when the coach is level the bathroom door hits the jamb I would shave off enough of the door with a carpenters wood plane to make it fit properly.
Mel
'96 Safari
On my Tiffin, I had a bathroom door interference problem. It turns out that the door jam was only screwed on, so with 5 screws, I was able to remove the latch side jamb. The Jamb has some bend to it.

Using a hand saw, I shaved off a portion of the frame so I could pull in the jamb when it was put back.

Now I have plenty of clearance, and did not damage any of the wood finish. Hope this works on your coach.

Dan
Old 10-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #6

The iPhone has a pretty nice level...go to 'utilities' - 'compass' - then swipe sideways on the compass (after you have rolled the ball around) and the level shows up.

Pretty cool - and hard to find!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
The iPhone has a pretty nice level...go to 'utilities' - 'compass' - then swipe sideways on the compass (after you have rolled the ball around) and the level shows up.

Pretty cool - and hard to find!

Tim
itunes has at least 10 apps that show level, everything from simulated spirit levels to two axis, etc. Thing is, the OP wasn't having trouble finding level, the problem was when he had it leveled the bathroom door didn't close. Still waiting to hear if the door shut while on the tires.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #8

If the rig is level and the Bathroom door hits there is NO need to shave the door in most cases. Loosen the door hinge and insert a slight wedge between the steel hinge and door frame. (start will a piece of cardboard)
Old 10-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Use our bathroom door to check for 'final' level. Got tired of listening to door squeak, so I lubed the hinges. Now if coach is the slightest bit out of level, the bathroom door swings in the direction needed to correct.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Geneandea,
Before shaving anything (for me a last resort) consider this:
1. Place a 3' carpenters level on a solid floor surface. Make sure you can do this for front to back and left to right. Level the coach based on the carpenters level.
2. Does the refer door stay put at 45* 90* and 45* (the other way)? Your comfort and refer performance are the two most important reasons for being level.
3. Once the carpenters level, the refer door and your comfort all agree, then take a look at the door.
4. If the door needs to be corrected, for me, the post by IdahoSRT10 is what to try first.

If you have HWH jacks, it is not difficult to calibrate the control panel level lights. The process is in the owners manual. If you do not have an owners manual, it can be downloaded at the HWH site.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for all the input, shaving the door will wait I'm just frustrated. I will take all the advice and let you all know.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
If the door works properly when you are at 'ride height' and no jacks down, then I may tend to think the jacks are putting the coach into a bind and causing the door to not work as it does jacks up.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneandea View Post
Thanks for all the input, shaving the door will wait I'm just frustrated. I will take all the advice and let you all know.
You still haven't said if the door closes properly with the RV on it's wheels. I wouldn't go planing or shaving wood until you're sure it's a full time issue. Planing is easy, putting it back is the real bear!

Bob & Donna
Old 10-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Once my coach is level I check the entry door, if it drags I know the frame is slightly twisted. I'll drop it down and start over to get rid of the twist.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, leveling