Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #1

Levelling jack springs broke

We are in rockport Texas and we're packing up to head out and one of our rear levelling jacks both rear springs broke. Is there anything that I can do to get it up and hold it in place for a day or two it is Sunday and not sure if we can get a mobile rv guy out
fishn4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #2

if they are hydralic and you can get a jack under them have someone hit the retract button while jacking the jack. they should stay up by themselves but you could use a motorcycle tie down to be safe.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
if they are hydralic and you can get a jack under them have someone hit the retract button while jacking the jack. they should stay up by themselves but you could use a motorcycle tie down to be safe.
Will give it a try thanks
Old 03-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #4

Two heavy springs same dia., 1" shorter than the installed OEM springs should work for a short while. Most any good hardware store will have them. Otherwise, a 2x4 and something for a pivot point will work to pry the jack up while the retract mode is activated, might have to hit retract/store twice while prying.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If they are HWH jacks open the valve for manual raise. this will keep you from having to continuously hitting the retract valve

If anyone has a shovel you should be able to get that under the jack and lift it off the ground. The metal pad that sits on the ground just sits on the jack and the springs hold it in place. When you raise the jack it will fall off.

After you get the jack as high as you can get it with the shovel use the jack from your toad or borrow one from someone else if you can. This should get it all the way up. Close the manual valve and then try to find some way to fix it in place. I would think possibly something like a big washer that you can fit on the end of the jack and tie heavy duty nylon string through then tie that around the jack. Then a roll of gorilla duct tape wrap that around the top of the jack and over the washer and nylon string. Call HWH and ask them to overnight ship a jack to you. If you cannot get in touch with HWM find the nearest dealer for your coach and see if they have any you can overnight.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #6

If you've had this problem with the one jack , I'd want to consider changing all the springs. There is a change up spring available , as per the HWH web page.

Welcome to HWH Corporation

Users manuals and trouble shooting guides also available.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #7

I had a problem jack and I used my scissor jack from my towed to retract it. If you're going to replace the springs there was a thread not to long ago about doing it.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
RMS

Spring

Would a heavy duty bungee cord work?
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
Would a heavy duty bungee cord work?
Possibly, The problem is the plate on the bottom of the jack just fits loosely on to the jack and is held in place by springs. If the bungee cord did not hold that in place tight enough you could possibly lose it. IF you use tow bungee cords in place of the springs. That could possibly hold the plate in place and hold the jack up. I would something to add on to the plate also to catch it if the bungee cords came loose. I am not sure how hard that plate might be to get. Seems like you can buy stuff like jacks, solenoids etc but when it comes to stuff like those kind of plates that is the hard stuff to replace.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #10

If I had the broken spring, I'd just remove the plate since it's not going to work anyway and take care of it when I got home.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #11

I had a broken spring and I removed the other one and removed the base plate. Used a 2x4 to pry the piston it up into place while they were retracting. It never moved all the way home from Disney World. 600 miles.
binspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 AM   #12

Thanks for all the help everyone and sorry for the late reply we made it back and the 2x4 trick did it and when things thaw out I will replace the springs. You guys are the best
Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #13

I bought my springs off ebay for around $30 per set and paid my RV Center $125 to change them out. Its not too big of a job but I did not want to take a chance of getting smashed in the head by a spring. I thought the price was well worth it.
Good Luck!
binspector is offline   Reply With Quote