Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Levitation?

Is it bad to have the front wheels off the ground? We were on a site that had a slope to it. To get level we had to raise the front so high the front tires were off the ground. I am thinking this is really hard on the jacks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402004626.093923.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	850.5 KB
ID:	64678

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Community Administrator

The frame and windshield may not be happy in that position.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #3

This condition depends, in one aspect, on your brand of jacks and how they work. HWH jacks work in pairs. The front 2 work as a pair the right or left side work as a pair. This is a specific design to prevent twisting the frame according to my HWH manual. Some MH's onlhy have 3 jacks, 2 back, 1 front. This configuration cannot place undue twist on the frame.
That said, some suspension manufacturers say not to raise the wheels off the ground. Your owners manual will have the information for your MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're uncomfortable with wheels off the ground or afraid of damage, use blocks to run RV up on to reduce distance the front jacks have to lift. One 2" x 2 x 10 cut into lengths at angle to make tiny 'ramps' for the tires. You can stack as many as needed. I drilled holes through mine to pin them to the ground and each other with a long spike.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I ran out of jack travel AND boards on this one. Still wasn't level, but I stuck with it for the weekend. The distance from the ground to the first step was something to behold.

USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I won't do it and cannot do it 'cause of my air leveling. I request to move to a more level site or leave and find a RV Park that was built to accommodate our big rigs correctly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #7

We use blocks and levalors in that case. Any of the wheels of the ground is not good.
I have come to the conclusion, the jacks are stabilisors. Not for drastic levalors.
.IMHO!!!!!!!
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I ran out of jack travel AND boards on this one. Still wasn't level, but I stuck with it for the weekend. The distance from the ground to the first step was something to behold.

Holy cow! The front looks to be 2 to 3 feet off the ground, while the rear is almost touching. Did you need a stepladder the get into the unit?
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #9

Levitation?

Don't do it. You are lifting the coach AND the chassis. If a jack fails, whooo boy. Drive up on blocks and put blocks under the jacks. There is a limit for this too. If this won't work, move. I built some out of wolmanized 2x12s and 3/4 in wolmanized plywood on each side. Glued and screwed. Square pieces for the jacks and 2 foot pcs for the wheels. Drilled a hole to pull them out with the awning rod. Heavy duty and work well. Used mine for over a year with good success. For the increased step height we bought one of these:

http://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Tra...on/PA-100.html

Not from this place, but like this.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #10

Definitely going to be making some things to drive up on. I was worried about jacks loosing their hold. We survived it though. The HWH jacks held. But, I will have some boards with me next time.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do it if I have to, never a problem. Check your manual to he sure.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I do it if I have to, never a problem. Check your manual to he sure.

When purchasing a used camper, it doesn't always come with the manual. I emailed Thor, they said they do not currently have any documentation on a unit this old.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #13

I really never understood why not that is the front if your jacks are bolted to the frame and making the frame level and square. It seems like if the frame can support the coach it should support the wheel. I'm not meaning 2 feet in the air but just a inch or so.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the Lippert levelers and they are configured so that you cannot bend the frame of the motorhome. The jacks always work in pairs. We have been in sites for three months at a time with the front wheels 8 inches off the ground. I did place a call to Lippert to ask if the jacks are built to do this and the answer was "By all means you can lift the FRONT tires off the ground. The jacks are rated at 8000 lbs each" I will not lift the rear tires off the ground because that defeats the parking brake. I do block the tires but just enough to catch the front end IF the jacks should fail.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote