Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 11:46 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
License Plate Holder “CAM”

I have a hard time judging the very front of our class A, does anyone info or has installed a Bluetooth “License plate holder cam” on their rig?
jgbram is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 AM   #2

Welcome to IRV2! I don't have a camera like you are asking about but I work for a farmer who put one on the back of his truck to make it easier to hook up to trailers. Works real well. Good clear picture that allows you to judge your distance from an object.

Don't know why one wouldn't work on the front for the same purpose. Could possibly have a problem with bug splats!

In my barn I hung a rope down from a rafter. When my windshield touches the rope its time to stop.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #3

I wonder if it would be possible to hook up a Garmin camera to the front if you already have a back up camera and have it tie into your GPS. That might work.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just installed a new Kenwood DNX775RVS head unit and dash cam yesterday. Hooked up to my dash cam, rear view cam and side turn signals. That does take a signal switch since there are not enough video connections. In fact I'm still working on the camera location and wrapping the wires up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Where I park my RV at home there is a VERY tight maneuver I have to do get it in to its spot. I've got a utility power box that's about 3'x3'x2' tall that I have to JUST miss as I turn the nose past it (meanwhile the back is about 6" from the eave of my house). I simply cannot see that box in front of me when I'm going in or out of the parking place.

I didn't want to HAVE to depend on having a spotter up front, so I bought a cheap wired back-up camera with a 180 degree field of view and mounted it in the grill. I've got it hooked to an on/off switch so that I can only turn it on when I need it. It's just a 5" monitor and mounted off to the side out of my direct line of sight when driving, so it's not a bother when I'm not using it - and very handy to have when I need to see what is right in front of the RV.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #6

Here is a link to something similar I did to my Jeep.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/my...m-2141129.html
Old 04-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #7

When I used to drive school buses, and we parked real tight in the yard..........the rule of thumb was, pull in until it sounds expensive, and then pull back about a half foot.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The last time I checked, the Garmin cameras didn’t support a left-right flip. Mounting one on the front license plate will work for front clearance, but right and left would be reversed.

You’d think there would be more front view cameras. I had a rental Ford Explorer with one.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can buy a very inexpensive WIRED camera and monitor from Amazon. Here is one for under $50.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Emmako-Monito...s%2C198&sr=8-3

Don't go wireless....you'll have nothing but drop out issues. The above camera can be mounted on your license plate frame and you can place the monitor anywhere you want. Simply feed the cable from the dash to the front bumper.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbram View Post
I have a hard time judging the very front of our class A, does anyone info or has installed a Bluetooth “License plate holder cam” on their rig?
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

I have never heard of a camera for that application. I would think it would be hard to keep the lens clean down that low! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote