Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #1

Guys I have standard car license. I know I can drive an rv in it but can I drive an Rv with air assisted hysdraulic brakes? I want to full time around the US and Canada. I know I need an endorsement for air brakes but what about this hybrid? any one know. Also interested to buy a 2005+ Newmar 35ft upto $100k any ideas/kmnow anyone....dealers are useless!
portwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #2

Guys I have standard car license. I know I can drive an rv in it but can I drive an Rv with air assisted hysdraulic brakes? I want to full time around the US and Canada. I know I need an endorsement for air brakes but what about this hybrid? any one know. Also interested to buy a 2005+ Newmar 35ft upto $100k any ideas/kmnow anyone....dealers are useless!
Old 08-31-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It all depends on your state's drivers license requirements.

Some states require endorsements, some do not.

What state issued your drivers license? Once we know that, our members may be able to help.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:26 AM   #4
paz

Dirk is correct. The requirements depend on the state that issued your drivers license. You can contact your DMV to find out what the requirements are. Some have different classes or endorsements based on GVWR and some on air brakes.

States have reciprocal agreements. If you meet the requirements of your home state, your license will be valid in other states.

I can't speak for Canada, however. Maybe some of our northern neighbors can chime in on what their requirements are. I do know some of the Providences have requirements for brakes on your toad, but I don't know about licenses.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:25 AM   #5

Weather your state requires a license or not, I would suggest you take a air brake class and get the endorsement anyways. This way you will have less troubles as you travel throughout out the US.

Enjoy your Full-timing.

Chris
Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #6

My license is an overseas one and not a USA licence. I particularly want to dirve up into Canada and was keen on a diesel pusher but have been told by a dealer that I cant drive one with air brakes in canada That means i have to look for a gas rv but i really want something nice and well apppointed with engine/grade braking as a minumum. I'd still prefer a dp if I can get a definate answer on the air assited hydraulic brake issue. how the hellI'd get a z endrsement on an overseas license is beyond me!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">have been told by a dealer that I cant drive one with air brakes in canada </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe that is correct.

Most of us don't have air brake endorsements and we are able to legally drive in Canada.

IMHO, dealers frequently have incorrect information.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #8

Here is what is posted on the Ministry of Ontario Ministry of Transportation's website
"Driver licence reciprocity
Ontario permits an out-of-province driver to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles in Ontario if the driver is properly licensed to drive the vehicle or combination in their Province or State of residency and the licence is valid."
Old 09-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by portwine:
My license is an overseas one and not a USA licence. I particularly want to dirve up into Canada and was keen on a diesel pusher but have been told by a dealer that I cant drive one with air brakes in canada That means i have to look for a gas rv but i really want something nice and well apppointed with engine/grade braking as a minumum. I'd still prefer a dp if I can get a definate answer on the air assited hydraulic brake issue. how the hellI'd get a z endrsement on an overseas license is beyond me! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to make a lot of calls to straighten your your licence requirements out and you might even have to get a US or Canadian license (which might be hard without residency).
Canada/US have reciprocity (spelling) agreements for their license so if you are good at your residence, you are good anywhere else you drive in NorthAmerica. Since you do not have Canadian/US license you don't benefit from that reciprocity so, first of all, for Canada anyway, you'll need a 'International Driving Permit' (IDP) (http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/...driving-en.asp) in addition to your foreign permit. Second problem is that it looks like the IDP is only equivalent to a 'standard' license so that will probably not permit you to drive a large MH (most Canadian provinces require a higher class license to drive any vehicle or vehicle combo weighing over 26000lbs (might even be 24500lbs)) or an MH equipped with air brakes (most Canadian provinces require air brake endorsement).

Good luck.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #10

I've just got my first DP with air brakes and checked with Ontario Ministry of Transportation as I figured I'd have to get the Air Endorsement. MOT told me a motorhome is considered a passenger vehicle and "Does Not" require the Air Endorsement.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:35 AM   #11

chonburiman:

You had better get that ruling in writing!! That person gave you wrong information. Every Canadian province requires an air brake endorsement for driving a MH with air brakes.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Remember you must be "legal" to have valid insurance.
In BC you must have an air endorsement.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:53 AM   #13
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A MH counts like a car, but only for Tollfees, and or HOV Lanes, etc.
if you had Air Brakes on a car, you would need
an air endorsment... at least here in BC.
I think in your case only a good LEGAL mind could answer your question...a phonecall to DMV is not always right..... get it in writing. Maybe your insurance will know????????? Since you require insure here!!!!
RVgreetings
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:48 AM   #14
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One more point, if I may:

Since we have here such a large RV group and a few International RV's from Danemark, the UK, and Germany, maybe we can hear from them.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote