Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #15

In Texas they are not LEO's just state employees. They told me in advance that they don't ask how you got it there. They also stated that if I got a ticket on the way to the test it was my problem. Bottom line it was a non event. Don't overthink it, just do it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #16

Just as an addition.... School bus drivers, also carry a class B license in Maryland. So if you know someone that is a school bus driver, they can go with you. Also, if your coach has air brakes, I believe Maryland will require you to perform all the saftey checks on the air system prior to the coach moving.

BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very sad state that the person is asking for advice on how to be legal and do things correctly. The majority of the advice they were given was to lie or just ignore the law.

You were given two good pieces of advice I believe. One find someone with a Class C commercial or someone with a bus drivers license to go with you. Both are good advice. I am going to offer a third option. Go to one of the RV dealers and ask if you could hire one of their salesman to go with you to drive your unit. Maybe one of them on their day off. This should be a licensed driver with experience with RV's and would more than meet the requirement.

I
Old 09-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #18

I would encourage you to take some private driving lessons and study for the test and bring along a licensed driver. If it were me I would drive it down to the DMV for the test. If they ask how I got it there I would tell them a big fat lie. If I failed, I would drive it home.
If you choose to follow that advice then you would be responsible if you got in an accident or stopped by LEO as driving without the proper license. As far as I'm concerned DMV's only obligation is to tell you this and discourage you from driving when not properly licensed but cannot stop you. They don't enforce rules of the road, but it seems sometimes they make it more difficult than necessary.
Your lucky you're not in Calif. They require an endorsement if towing over a specific weight, which makes sense. With Motorhomes however, it's based on length. 40 ft and under, no endorsement needed. It doesn't matter about the weight, if it has air brakes, etc. So you can own a legally drive a 40,000 lb, air brake equipped vehicle as long as it's 40 ft or less with a regular license. That same type vehicle one foot longer requires an endorsement; silly. I think that was the legislatures way of trying to impose some license restrictions without forcing thousands of Motorhome owners to the overcrowded DMV 's for a new license.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #19

Thanks for the helpful suggestions on drivers :-) Now to untangle the coach part !
Old 09-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Just curious.Are you are not planning on purchasing a 40' or more diesel coach?
Most Gas engine powered coaches are 26,000, 22,000, or lower pound GVH. If you are planning on a gas engine I have a feeling you will not need to get the higher class license to drive it. Just my tu sents.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Here in the wild, wild west, AZ has no special licensing for driving RV's. Your car driver's license is also good for a 45' Class A DP. It'a a little scary when you think about it.
Neither does WA.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Logsend.... just sent you a PM.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #23

40' dp
Old 09-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #24

Where are you in MD? I have a CDL class B and went to Annapolis so I could be the Higher License when a guy I saw on one of the forums was asking for a buddy driver. The examiner did, in fact, ask how he got to the testing facility and he truthfully said I was with him. (he picked me up at a local shopping center). Also, the examiner asked for my CDL and actually read it. Further, asked for my medical certificate and I told him I no longer drove commercially and didn't need one. He nodded and ignored me from then on. Where do you want to take the test?
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Where are you in MD? I have a CDL class B and went to Annapolis so I could be the Higher License when a guy I saw on one of the forums was asking for a buddy driver. The examiner did, in fact, ask how he got to the testing facility and he truthfully said I was with him. (he picked me up at a local shopping center). Also, the examiner asked for my CDL and actually read it. Further, asked for my medical certificate and I told him I no longer drove commercially and didn't need one. He nodded and ignored me from then on. Where do you want to take the test?
I'll PM you, thanks!
Old 09-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #26

License to Drive

[QUOTE=logsend;2240110]In Maryland, you need a non commercial upgrade to drive anything over 26, 001 lbs. Which okay that's fair. You have to get a learners after taking a written, again no problem with that at all,

Here's where it gets sticky and I'm hoping someone else can help. In order to take the driving portion of the test, you have to have your rv, but you aren't allowed to drive your rv without someone who already has an upgraded licenses being present, even when going for the test. We totally want to be safe, but we don't know anyone with an rv like that and we don't know anyone with an upgraded license like that.

I can't find any rv driving schools in MD and all the units that we've seen that you can rent are under 26, 001lbs. so we aren't sure what to do All we could get from DMV was 'the rules'.[/

Just read the rules prior post was "my bad". Also called a LEO friend and he said he did not know about the need for any thing other than a class c. Makes one wonder.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post

Just read the rules prior post was "my bad". Also called a LEO friend and he said he did not know about the need for any thing other than a class c. Makes one wonder.
No problem

I think that because it's different in every state, that, adds to the confusion. I mean just
from reading this thread, some states do, some don't, some go by size and not weight.

We looked it up because one of the dealers was using the lower weight as a selling point, "and if you stay under 26k with you don't need to up your license" and we both went

I'd expect nothing less from the state that taxes the rain.....
Old 09-24-2014, 05:09 AM   #28

Yup and trying to tax you on miles driven per year. When that happens we will move to Delaware. And drive the extra miles to work in md.