Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #29

Full timing for our retirement looks better and better

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #30

Yes it does but I have a long way to go

Old 09-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #31

Us too! Figured if we started now with rv travel we'd be all set in 20+ years lol!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another option is to get a fireman to ride with you. Our son drives a fire truck and has a Class B license for driving the truck which is what we need in NC to drive a MH over 26001.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #33

I know you have an issue with getting the right sized rig to use for the driving test. If the dealer you are working with is local, they might let you use the unit you are thinking of purchasing for the test. I'm not sure if that would work as here in NY we have to provide our license, registration, and insurance card as well as the proper license for our 'chaperone'. That may be a solution depending on what has to be shown to DMV.

The confusion over the necessity of any special license is pretty much universal in all states. Here in our area there is only one of the local DMV offices that has any idea how to go about getting someone the 'R' endorsement. To add to the confusion, they have to schedule you for an unscheduled road test. That is not a misprint as there is no area in their computer to indicate that it is an RV driving test. When you sign up for the driving test they will give you a permit to drive your RV. You don't need someone with the proper license to drive your RV with the permit, but you need someone with the proper license to take the road test. Make sense? No, but that's how it works here.

My suggestion to anyone who may be required to get the license is to get it now before they figure out how to fail people who are taking the driving test. I have never heard of anyone failing the test as it is pretty basic, but I don't expect it to always be that way.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Here in the wild, wild west, AZ has no special licensing for driving RV's. Your car driver's license is also good for a 45' Class A DP. It'a a little scary when you think about it.
Same here in IL. No special license needed. I'm not sure what the earlier poster was referring to.

Mr. LeMans
Old 09-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr LeMans View Post
Same here in IL. No special license needed. I'm not sure what the earlier poster was referring to.

Mr. LeMans

I think you need to contact your DMV office, according to their website the following applies to all RV's:

Above 16,000 lb GVWR or GCWR, or towing above 10,000 lb, requires non-commercial Class A, B or C.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr LeMans View Post

Mr. LeMans
That's what I thought for over 5 years, until I found out about the over 16,000lbs limitation. I even called IL Secretary of State/DMV when I purchased my first motorhome FROM A RETIRED STATE TROOPER (albeit back in 2005) and they both said I didn't need any special license or endorsement. Twern't true (or at least it isn't now). Thats why I obtained my NON-Commercial Class B license (from Illinois) which now states (on the back) Any size single vehicle, Any size motorcycle.

I can't remember, but pretty sure my old IL license stated "any vehicle upto 16,000 lbs, Any size motorcycle. There is NO waiver/exclusion for motorhomes/RVs as I was told back in 2005.

I wanted to be legal, not only for Law Enforcement guys, but Lawyers, as well!

Mr LeMans, let me know if you want me to send you a copy of Illinois' Rules of the Road for Non-Commerical vehicles (with pictures of a Motorhome on the cover) Its a .pdf document so I can PM it to you
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Am I missing something here, it has been decided that you need a certain license to drive your vehicle and that you need to supply an appropriate vehicle to take the test in., which seems reasonable enough.
And your annoyed that until you pass the only way you can legally drive it is if someone with the correct license is sitting in the passenger seat as well?
If you could legally drive it by just having a learner license why would anyone bother taking the test?
Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #38

I'm not annoyed. I was asking how to go about the crazy process because I thought maybe someone else had dealt with it.

Can't legally drive an rv without a license.
Need an rv to take test.
Can't buy an rv without a license because we can't legally drive the rv without the license.
Don't know anyone with an rv.
Don't know anyone with a license that would allow them to drive an rv.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by logsend View Post
Not sure how trying to follow the laws and their logic is over thinking, but um okay.

This will be our first rv of any kind, neither of us have any experience driving them (which was why we were looking for a place to take an rv driving class, plus insurance company said they give % off for taking one) and neither of us know anyone that has anything but a standard issue license.

When I spoke to the people at the DMV all they did was direct me to the rules and tell me that we had to have a person with a license of the appropriate class with us while we had our learners and wanted to drive and when we arrived to take the driving portion of the test we would need a person with the appropriate class present in case we failed the test.

Now perhaps there are indeed less obnoxious DMV's than the local ones that will be a little more forgiving. However, IF something were to happen while we were on are way from picking up our rv or going to take the test and we weren't licensed, we'd be in a world of hurt.
If you have never driven a class A I would highly recommend a truck driving course. Regardless of the previous post about a commercial truck driver not knowing anything about a class A. There is more to driving a large vehicle than just herding it down the highway and hoping for the best. When you get properly trained for a commercial license you will learn a lot of things that pertain to large vehicles in general. I got my commercial training in every day Los Angeles traffic. I see posts every day on RV forums about I'm not sure I can drive in the mountains, or how can I avoid driving through different towns. If you get properly trained you will certainly have much more confidence under all driving conditions. Of course you will start wondering how thousands of people even got a drivers license in this country. You will also wonder how you got by for years even driving a car. JHMO
Old 09-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Of course you will start wondering how thousands of people even got a drivers license in this country. You will also wonder how you got by for years even driving a car. JHMO
Already wonder this every time I go out on I-95! We already know we want to take the RV driving course offered but again, we are missing some key ingredients to that! I look into the truck school too, thanks!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I'm not annoyed. I was asking how to go about the crazy process because I thought maybe someone else had dealt with it.

Need an rv to take test.
Can't buy an rv without a license because we can't legally drive the rv without the license.
I was in this situation when we purchased our Tuscany. Taking the written part of the exam is no problem as no RV is needed to do that. But when we drove from NC to TN to purchase it I drove home illegally. Then I drove it illegally to the local dealer and to the DMV to take the driving test. I don't know what would have happened had I been stopped or, heaven forbid, an accident. It was a chance that I took because I couldn't find anyone to help me out. I even made a new thread asking for help on this forum to no avail.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Need an rv to take test.

Doesn't seem that crazy to me, it seems perfectly sensible.

Don't buy an RV until you have passed the test, I'm sure there are RV driving schools (or at least driving schools that teach the relevant license even if not an RV as such) that will supply the vehicle for the test. Now they may not be on your doorstep that I can understand, but that isn't the DMVs fault.

As I said if you were allowed to drive it only having a learner license why would anyone bother to do the test?

Change RV to car, do you want people driving about that haven't passed without at least some that has next to them?