Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by logsend View Post
I'm not annoyed. I was asking how to go about the crazy process because I thought maybe someone else had dealt with it.

Can't legally drive an rv without a license.
Need an rv to take test.
Can't buy an rv without a license because we can't legally drive the rv without the license.
Don't know anyone with an rv.
Don't know anyone with a license that would allow them to drive an rv.
This exact same scenario was my dilemma also. I took my Class B non- commercial license written test and med/eye exam and was issued a temp license that specifically said I had to have a licensed driver (with the same level of license class) with me at all times when driving. All the above items applied to me at the time.

With having to take my driving test in a city that was 150 miles from home and not being able to find any licensed driver to accompany me, I had no other choice but to drive the motor home to the city myself. I had lots of excuses made up to tell the dmv how the coach appeared at their office without a licensed driver aboard. However, I took the driving test, passed it, and was issued a temp Class B non-commercial license and was told a permanent license would be mailed to me. The inspector shook my hand and said "congratulations...not you can drive this motor home legally"! Never a word was ever mentioned prior to this about me driving the coach without a licensed driver aboard.

Remember, the DMV people are agents...not LEOs.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #44

Thanks Ron & Gary. I think the next time we go to the dealer I'm going to talk to our sales guy about all of this too. I don't have a problem with the laws and I certainly want to learn to drive it, it's just challenging figuring out how to put the cart and the horse together

Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #45

Quote:
Already wonder this every time I go out on I-95! We already know we want to take the RV driving course offered but again, we are missing some key ingredients to that! I look into the truck school too, thanks!
In the driving courses you learn about balancing your vehicle, backing your vehicle & using mirrors, If in doubt get out and look & don't trust the RVer next door while backing, watching for dangerous drivers and trying to stay away from them, checking hitches and safety chains, air brakes, and why MH drivers shouldn't disconnect those noisey alarms. . You can immediately spot trained drivers. They are always inspecting their vehicles. They make walk arounds. They check their lights, they check their tires, they are always looking for things at every stop. Ever see a RVer pull into a pull through spot in the late evening? Next morning, never gets out of their rig, just starts it up and drives off? There is more to driving a large vehicle than just being able to drive it around the block without hitting something. Of course it is a lot easier now backing with those rear cameras. I'm old fashioned. I still get out and look.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #46

Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho And Wyoming only require your regular Class D License to operate a Motorhome. I believe New Mexico, Montana, Alaska, Oregon, and Washington have the same rule. The only state I know of here in the western states that requires a non commercial endorsement is California. The other states do not seem to be interested in promoting the endorsement. The industry sales a lot of RV's out here, and that might have something to do with it. Also rv related accidents seem to be very rare in this part of the country. If I ever had to get a non commercial endorsement It wouldn't be an issue because I am use to driving big rigs. Had a lot of experience. But if they never introduce the endorsement it won't bother me any.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #47

Here is another thought for you. As I said in a previous post, School bus drives are required to have a class B license in the MD. Depending on where you live, you could contact one of the bus companies and see if they would be willing to train you for a fee, or tell you where they send their nwe drivers who need training. You wouldn't be driving a motorhome, but most of the training is the same. Using your mirrors, both flat and convex, backing up, tail swing and it its a more modern bus, it probably has air brakes. I guess you need to ask yourself, do I want to learn enough to pass the class B test, or do I want to learn how to drive my coach. Once you have the class B, you can take your coach out and practice all by yourself. Just my thoughts.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho And Wyoming only require your regular Class D License to operate a Motorhome. I believe New Mexico, Montana, Alaska, Oregon, and Washington have the same rule. The only state I know of here in the western states that requires a non commercial endorsement is California.

Actually Nevada and Wyoming both have the Class B license requirement for any vehicle over 26,000 lbs.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post

Actually Nevada and Wyoming both have the Class B license requirement for any vehicle over 26,000 lbs.
Yup, Wyoming requires it.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:54 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Yup, Wyoming requires it.
Well this is new. Thanks for letting us know.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Thats still bloody huge! over here those with car licenses issued after 1997 can't drive anything bigger than 3500Kg and even those with older licenses are limited to 7500Kg!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #52

Logsend, where in MD. are you??
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:01 AM   #53

Central MD, about 30 mins from DC & Baltimore.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
I agree that most of us that have been driving for several decades can probably get into a Class A and heard it down the highway without many issues and as time goes by we get more comfortable driving on smaller roads and streets all without any incident and we get comfortable with driving a 40' MH wherever we need to go.

The big problem in my opinion, is the Air Brake endorsement. There are several safety issues with air brakes and knowing how the air brake works. This is not a natural learning process and you have to actually do a little studying and educate yourself on how to safely operate your class A motorhome with air brakes.

We both drove our MH for years without the Class "B" license, but luckily my son-in-law who is a diesel mechanic was diligent in trying to educate me in how the air brake works and I slowly got it pounded into my head. I didn't look forward to getting my class "B" license but like the majority of drivers, I drove to the testing location illegibly and the tester didn't ask any questions and I passed and received my Class "B" with an air brake endorsement. I feel much better about owning and driving our MH now and I personally thing everyone driving a MH with air brakes should be tested to insure they understand how they work and the safety features of an air brake system.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Pearl View Post
I agree that most of us that have been driving for several decades can probably get into a Class A and heard it down the highway without many issues and as time goes by we get more comfortable driving on smaller roads and streets all without any incident and we get comfortable with driving a 40' MH wherever we need to go.

The big problem in my opinion, is the Air Brake endorsement. There are several safety issues with air brakes and knowing how the air brake works. This is not a natural learning process and you have to actually do a little studying and educate yourself on how to safely operate your class A motorhome with air brakes.

We both drove our MH for years without the Class "B" license, but luckily my son-in-law who is a diesel mechanic was diligent in trying to educate me in how the air brake works and I slowly got it pounded into my head. I didn't look forward to getting my class "B" license but like the majority of drivers, I drove to the testing location illegibly and the tester didn't ask any questions and I passed and received my Class "B" with an air brake endorsement. I feel much better about owning and driving our MH now and I personally thing everyone driving a MH with air brakes should be tested to insure they understand how they work and the safety features of an air brake system.
WOW, learn something new almost every time I log into this forum. I had no idea ANY state required an air-brake endorsement on a license do drive a motorhome, thought it only pertained to our Canadian friends up north!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #56

Quote:
Central MD, about 30 mins from DC & Baltimore.

North of you up 95 😄