Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #57

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by logsend View Post
Central MD, about 30 mins from DC & Baltimore.
Logsend, that description sounds familiar ... I lived around Mt. Airy most of my life. I got my Class B non-commercial in Frederick a few years ago (have since moved to Delaware, which doesn't require a special license). The good folks in Frederick had an "off-the-books" policy that you could drive yourself to the exam the first time only, but if you didn't pass, the next time you would have to be accompanied (and they would check to see that that person had the proper license). I had the impression that it varied from one MVA office to another -- I also asked at Hagerstown, and they had never heard of letting anyone do that.

And don't count on an RV salesman having the proper license ... most of them will tell you (wrongly) that you don't need one!
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #58

Not far from Mt. Airy. We actually talked to a sales guy about that and he said that most of the sales staff do not have the proper license. Our plan had been to ask him to be our licensed back up for the test..

We were thinking about going to Florida this winter and taking the Lazy Days RV Drivers Confidence course to get some hands on practice as our goal is to have our coach by next spring. We thought that maybe after that we could then rent a coach to use for the test that was under the 26k when it was empty and that would technically be legal for us to drive alone on our regular license. The kicker is the air brakes, if the rental doesn't have them that puts a restriction on the license and if our actual coach has air brakes we will have to take the entire test over again...
logsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #59

Thor Owners Club
If I recall correctly (and I might not), I think you have to take the test in a vehicle of the class that requires that class of license (i.e., over 26,000 lbs. GVWR for the Class B). If you can, stop by MVA in Frederick and chat up the folks at the CDL desk (the CDL examiners give the non-commercial test too).

By the way, for all the posters who say "the examiners aren't LEOs," you're right, but every MVA/DMV office I've been to in Maryland and Delaware has had at least one state trooper on duty at all times. I would never want to count on breaking the rules without getting written up.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know about there but if you got caught over here you would be looking at driving without a license and as you didn't have the correct license your insurance would be invalid so you would done for driving without insurance too!

Might want to check that!
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvistheKing View Post
Thats still bloody huge! over here those with car licenses issued after 1997 can't drive anything bigger than 3500Kg and even those with older licenses are limited to 7500Kg!
I learned Utah requires the class B license on anything over 26,000 pounds. Arizona has no class B requirements. It looks like class B is now required by most states on anything over 26,000 which I'm guessing is pretty common. I won't ever have to worry about it because I have no desire to ever own anything that huge. Both of my rigs are well under the 26,000 pound limit.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
If I recall correctly (and I might not), I think you have to take the test in a vehicle of the class that requires that class of license (i.e., over 26,000 lbs. GVWR for the Class B). If you can, stop by MVA in Frederick and chat up the folks at the CDL desk (the CDL examiners give the non-commercial test too).

By the way, for all the posters who say "the examiners aren't LEOs," you're right, but every MVA/DMV office I've been to in Maryland and Delaware has had at least one state trooper on duty at all times. I would never want to count on breaking the rules without getting written up.
That's correct. Our hope had been the dealer would be able to help but that turned out not to be the case. Calling on all of our friends and friends of theirs has also proved to be a bust. So yes we were hoping that a rental that came in shy of the 26001 lbs when the tanks were empty and the coach was unloaded could be used to take the test.

There is always at least one officer or state trooper at every DMV I've ever been to in Maryland. Maybe it's just a Maryland thing though.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #63

Thor Owners Club
Without looking it up, I don't think it's the actual weight that matters, but rather the GVWR of the vehicle. If so, your "tanks empty" etc. plan wouldn't make a difference.

I think I drove without the proper license for six months or so in Maryland before I took the test, but I was coming from a Class A gasser, so it didn't feel that much different to me. I had salesmen in both MD and PA tell me I didn't need a special license, and I guess I believed them until I researched it myself. I had a school bus driver friend lined up to be my backup in case I needed a licensed co-pilot.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #64

Well another one bites the dust if that's the case :(

We just aren't comfortable driving without being licensed. I know a lot of people think it's not a big deal but it just isn't something we'd want to do.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by logsend View Post
That's correct. Our hope had been the dealer would be able to help but that turned out not to be the case. Calling on all of our friends and friends of theirs has also proved to be a bust. So yes we were hoping that a rental that came in shy of the 26001 lbs when the tanks were empty and the coach was unloaded could be used to take the test.

There is always at least one officer or state trooper at every DMV I've ever been to in Maryland. Maybe it's just a Maryland thing though.

Try the local volunteer fire company they have plenty of drivers with class b licenses. I'm sure for a small donation one would volunteer to be your teaching driver for the test. You could also rent a box truck with the same rating and take that to the DMV just make sure you tell the tester what you are there for and how long you have been operating a class a Moho
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #66

As a I do recall I believe the GVWR is what all DMV's go by. Some states like Utah even have a heavy weight tax for vehicles over 20,000 GVWR. They explained the reason why is because vehicles over the 20,000 limit do more damage to the highway, than smaller sized lighter weight vehicles.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #67

We purchased our first class A last June. I had driven tractor trailer since 1970 until 2 years ago and never knew you had to have a CDL to drive an RV, although I've always thought you should. In any case when we put insurance on our motorhome our agent told me a CDL was required (Pennsylvania). Obviously not an issue for me but now is for my wife.
Neverhome2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #68

MD isn't a CDL it's a non commercial class b for most rv's. This site list states and what they require, don't know exactly when it was last updated so things could have changed. RV Driver's License Requirements

As for firefighters, turns out that some states and I think MD is one have an exemption and it's optional for them.

Convoluted is the word that comes to mind for all of this.

Dh says we are going to go the the DMV and he's going to say, I want to drive an RV what do I have to do and see what they tell us.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #69

[QUOTE=logsend;2250436]MD isn't a CDL it's a non commercial class b for most rv's. This site list states and what they require, don't know exactly when it was last updated so things could have changed. RV Driver's License Requirements

As for firefighters, turns out that some states and I think MD is one have an exemption

Not the case we have several firefighters in family and each have to get non cdl b or a if they drive hook n ladder. The only exception is that the department has them trained and has some one that can test them at a county place
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #70

Again I return to the convoluted statement. Someone suggested that we ask a firefighter and so we did and they told us that didn't have to have a special license to drive

I just want to say thank you to everyone that has offered advice, information and suggestions! You've all been very helpful and it has been greatly appreciated