Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
The air brake required a separate written test and took up about 10 minutes of the pre drive test. Had to walk the instructor through the whole process from building up air pressure to the low air pressure warning then the emergency air brake activation as well as demonstrate it all to insure it worked prior to taking the driving test.

In Nevada, you can get a class "B" without an air brake endorsement but if you do, and later purchase a MH with air brakes you will have to take it in and get the air brake endorsement to drive it legally. The same with automatic transmission. I don't plan to get a Manuel transmission anytime soon but if for some crazy reason I did, I would have to go in and have this restriction removed from my current class "B" license. I would think many of the other states actually require airbrake testing and it just hasn't been mentioned in this thread as yet.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Go to rv driving schools.com. They have instructors all over the United States. Join Escapees to get the discount. If you haven't driven a large RV you will learn a lot. If you have driven a RV you will still learn a lot of good information and techniques. Get the instructor to go with you for the DMV test.

In Michigan firefighters need a CDL or successfully complete annual training as required by the firefighter's training council.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
You're overthinking this thing, imo
Ditto. Just drive there and take the test. I did. They will never ask about this.

Don
Old 09-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Pearl View Post
I don't plan to get a Manuel transmission anytime soon
Me neither. I'm holding out for one from his sister Juanita.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
X2
definitely go take the test and get licensed. Take someone with you if you feel better but it probably isn't needed but do go get the license.

Bob & Pearl
Old 09-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
Me neither. I'm holding out for one from his sister Juanita.
Ha ha ha
Old 09-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
OOPs
Manual Transmission

but Juanita would definitely be my preference also.

Bob & Pearl
Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #78

I had a friend of mine went with me. He had a CDL . You can also ask any dealer and they will refer you to someone. I took the test about 3 years ago. I did it in Annapolis MVA , it wasn't to hard ,you will have to study some for the walk around section. The driving test lasted about 15-20 minutes. Good Luck !
Old 09-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #79

They will ask for the drivers license of the person you came with. He or she must have a non commercial class c or better license.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #80

The person at the DVM told me, when I asked about this, "well honey, how else are you going to get here if you don't drive it here?"

I love my Texas.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #81

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverhome2 View Post
We purchased our first class A last June. I had driven tractor trailer since 1970 until 2 years ago and never knew you had to have a CDL to drive an RV, although I've always thought you should. In any case when we put insurance on our motorhome our agent told me a CDL was required (Pennsylvania). Obviously not an issue for me but now is for my wife.
You are not required to have a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) in any state. You might be required to have a higher class of non-commercial license though, depending on your state requirements.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Pearl View Post
The air brake required a separate written test and took up about 10 minutes of the pre drive test. Had to walk the instructor through the whole process from building up air pressure to the low air pressure warning then the emergency air brake activation as well as demonstrate it all to insure it worked prior to taking the driving test.

In Nevada, you can get a class "B" without an air brake endorsement but if you do, and later purchase a MH with air brakes you will have to take it in and get the air brake endorsement to drive it legally. The same with automatic transmission. I don't plan to get a Manuel transmission anytime soon but if for some crazy reason I did, I would have to go in and have this restriction removed from my current class "B" license. I would think many of the other states actually require airbrake testing and it just hasn't been mentioned in this thread as yet.
Motorhomes with manual transmission are rare, but even if they were more common, automatic makes it much easier lugging a building on wheels around. LOL

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:06 AM   #83

Okay let's go over this once more y'all.

No RV school in my area that doesn't require us to already have the RV.

The dealer I'm working with does not have the right license and he said there were only 2 out of all of the sales staff that did.

Not over thinking anything, while doing something legally might be more complicated for us it's the only way to go.

In Maryland you need a Non Commercial Class B to drive a motorhome that is over 26001 lbs. You also need the Air Brake endorsement if your coach is equipped with air brakes.

The DMV's in Maryland almost always have a police officer present, I don't know why, but they do. Even going to the express one for something like a renewal there will be a police officer hanging out in the back.

I've had people from MD say they weren't asked about their co-pilot and I have had people say that the co-pilot had to give them their license and in the case of the CDL license their medical certificate.

We will find someone to go with us that has the right license, one way or the other.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #84

Being from MD. myself I knew they required a class A non commercial drivers license for my motorhome. I already had a CDL and knew I wasn't going to drive professionally anymore, and I didn't want to keep taking those physicals, or the Hazmat tests. So I just went to the MD DMV and exchanged my CDL for the non-commercial one. No testing was involved.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote