Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 04:34 AM   #1

License to Drive

In Maryland, you need a non commercial upgrade to drive anything over 26, 001 lbs. Which okay that's fair. You have to get a learners after taking a written, again no problem with that at all,

Here's where it gets sticky and I'm hoping someone else can help. In order to take the driving portion of the test, you have to have your rv, but you aren't allowed to drive your rv without someone who already has an upgraded licenses being present, even when going for the test. We totally want to be safe, but we don't know anyone with an rv like that and we don't know anyone with an upgraded license like that.

I can't find any rv driving schools in MD and all the units that we've seen that you can rent are under 26, 001lbs. so we aren't sure what to do All we could get from DMV was 'the rules'.
logsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by logsend View Post
In Maryland, you need a non commercial upgrade to drive anything over 26, 001 lbs. Which okay that's fair. You have to get a learners after taking a written, again no problem with that at all,

Here's where it gets sticky and I'm hoping someone else can help. In order to take the driving portion of the test, you have to have your rv, but you aren't allowed to drive your rv without someone who already has an upgraded licenses being present, even when going for the test. We totally want to be safe, but we don't know anyone with an rv like that and we don't know anyone with an upgraded license like that.

I can't find any rv driving schools in MD and all the units that we've seen that you can rent are under 26, 001lbs. so we aren't sure what to do All we could get from DMV was 'the rules'.
Likely, nobody is following the rule! I'm curious, is the 26,001 combined weight, like my MH and toad, or truck and fiver, or single unit, i.e. big diesel pusher?

Sort of like the weighted tag thing in our state, NC.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Find someone with a Virginia license? VA does not have a non-CDL endorsement requirement.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Firstly, it will be truck driving schools - I Googled and found 20+ in Maryland...
Second, its "over" 26,000 lbs not 26,001.. Both were listed on the Texas written...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Firstly, it will be truck driving schools - I Googled and found 20+ in Maryland...
Second, its "over" 26,000 lbs not 26,001.. Both were listed on the Texas written...
MD has 26001.

Classes of License:

If you currently hold one of these classes of licenses you are not required to obtain the motorhome/recreational vehicle restriction for the same class.

A Class “A” non-commercial license driver’s license authorizes the licensee to drive combinations of Class F (tractor) and Class G trailer (over 10,000 lbs.) vehicles (GCWR 26,001 lbs.) and any vehicle that a non-commercial Class B driver’s license authorizes its holder to drive, except:

Commercial Motor Vehicles; and
Motorcycles.
A Class “B” non-commercial driver’s license authorizes the licensee to drive any single vehicle GVWR 26,001 pounds or more. Allows pulling a trailer under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR). Any vehicle that a non-commercial Class C driver’s license authorizes its holder to drive, except:

Commercial Motor Vehicles; and
Motorcycles.
A Class “C” non-commercial driver’s license authorizes the licensee to drive any vehicle or combination of vehicles with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, except:

Recreational Vehicle Information
Old 09-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #6

I drove my RV to the test station, went by myself. The examiner never asked how I got there. Suspect he knew. If he had asked I would have said my BIL drove me in and left to go to work (in toad)...
Old 09-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Same here when I got my Class A. I parked my rig on the street beside the DMV. He never asked and was not a LEO. He was just a state employee.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:01 AM   #8

Worst case, do you know anyone that drives a semi for a living? They're not going to know a thing about a Class A, but their license (CDL A) should cover any DMV requirements for a qualified driver being with you.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
I drove my RV to the test station, went by myself. The examiner never asked how I got there. Suspect he knew. If he had asked I would have said my BIL drove me in and left to go to work (in toad)...
The "Brother-in-Law thing" is what I was going to say if asked when I went in for my written + driving test in Illinois plus I was gonna kinda laugh and say I might need to borrow a dime to call someone if I didn't pass!

The other tact I thought about was telling the truth - "Sorry, but been driving motorhomes for over 6 years and 50 some thousand miles and just found out I needed this endorsement. I just wanna get legal and continue enjoying my retirement" and give 'em a sheepish grin.

Neither case occurred, took the written test- passed, then we went out and drove around and BINGO got my endorsement! I was very fortunate, we spent almost the entire drive talking about my Navy career and her son in the Marines.

My only recommendation is go to the smallest town DMV you can find. As a general rule, those folks are more relaxed and personable.

Good luck!
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
You're overthinking this thing, imo
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #11

Not sure how trying to follow the laws and their logic is over thinking, but um okay.

This will be our first rv of any kind, neither of us have any experience driving them (which was why we were looking for a place to take an rv driving class, plus insurance company said they give % off for taking one) and neither of us know anyone that has anything but a standard issue license.

When I spoke to the people at the DMV all they did was direct me to the rules and tell me that we had to have a person with a license of the appropriate class with us while we had our learners and wanted to drive and when we arrived to take the driving portion of the test we would need a person with the appropriate class present in case we failed the test.

Now perhaps there are indeed less obnoxious DMV's than the local ones that will be a little more forgiving. However, IF something were to happen while we were on are way from picking up our rv or going to take the test and we weren't licensed, we'd be in a world of hurt.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #12

NY has similar rules. When you take the road test you are required to have someone with you with the same or higher license. By higher they mean a CDL or similar license. I have accompanied another couple for their road test and the inspector did ask to see my license with the 'R' endorsement.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #13

Here in the wild, wild west, AZ has no special licensing for driving RV's. Your car driver's license is also good for a 45' Class A DP. It'a a little scary when you think about it.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I just went through the same issue in Nevada. When recently purchased our current motorhome and several of the dealerships offered driving classes to assist us in getting the Class "B" license if we purchased from them. We ended up purchasing from a private seller though so we had to figure out how to get the license on our own as we didn't know about the Class B until recently. I had the same lame excuses made up just in case the DMV asked me how I got my rig to the testing location but was not asked.

We have been driving a 40 ft. coach for years so the test was fairly uneventful but the concern about being turned down because I didn't have a licensed driver get me to testing location was very disconcerting. My wife took her test a couple of days later and had a different examiner and she wasn't asked either.

My belief is as long as you are insured, you insurance will cover you if you had some kind of accident, just like they cover a drunken driver or speeding driver both are driving illegally but the insurance still covers you if you had a accident. Doesn't mean you cant be sued but the insurance will most likely do its job. The folks at the DMV are not there to ticket you or even to fail you on the test. They want you to pass your test, they don't give a hoot how you got to the testing location.

Good Luck on your test and let us know how it goes.
Bob

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote