Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Life after WH brake work done?

Hi! We will have the WH brake recall work done on our 2002 Holiday Rambler 36 ft. Vacationer next Saturday at Guaranty RV in Junction City. We have owned this motorhome since March of this year. We have taken 5 or 6 short trips since then and have had brake problems on about half of our trips. You can probably imagine the uncertainty that this has caused. My question is to those RV owners who have been lucky enough to have had the brake work done. Have you had any problems with the brakes since having them worked on? I am hoping that the answers will be NO since I would like to have confidence knowing that this problem will be behind us. Thank you for any input.

Sue

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brakes after repair

I found that coming home from the day the of the brake repair, that the coach seemed not to free wheel like it did prior to the brake replacement

Old 12-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Just curious as to what the brake recall is about. We just bought a new 2011 GeorgeTown378 and the next day we are called for a recall which is sheduled for sometime in March. We only drove it home and it drove great, in fact soon as I got on the HYW someone switched lanes right in front of us and had to hit the binders and worked like you would think. Does anyone know what the issues are?

Thanks Barney
Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlin44 View Post
Just curious as to what the brake recall is about. We just bought a new 2011 GeorgeTown378 and the next day we are called for a recall which is sheduled for sometime in March. We only drove it home and it drove great, in fact soon as I got on the HYW someone switched lanes right in front of us and had to hit the binders and worked like you would think. Does anyone know what the issues are?

Thanks Barney
Barney, lots of info, but it will get you "up to speed"

Official Release - Bosch Brake Caliper Recall 51101-C

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
paz

Quote:

Thanks Barney
If you scroll down to the Workhorse Owners Forum on the main iRV2 forum page, you will find more info on the brake recall.

The problem starts with the fact that DOT 3 brake fluid (used in Workhorse brake systems) absorbs moisture. Moisture absorption is aggravated by the fact that motorhomes tend to sit for long periods. Moisture in the brake fluid is causing the phenolic material used for the pistons of some Workhorse brakes to expand and stick in the cylinder bores causing the brakes to drag.

The fix is to replace all 4 calipers with new ones that have bores slightly larger and pistons made from a new, more moisture-resistant material.

Since you bought a 2011 motorhome, there's a good chance the chassis was produced AFTER the recall started and it already has the new brakes. Go to the Workhorse web site, click My Workhorse, and register your chassis VIN. The web site will tell you when your chassis was produced, what components were used to build it, and if it is included in the recall. As an alternative, you could call Workhorse customer support directly with your VIN or call your selling dealer and have him check the recall status for you.

Note that only W20, W21, W22 and W22D chassis are included in the recall. If you have a W24, you are good to go regardless of when it was built. The W24 uses different brakes.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sue, we had our recall done about a month ago and have been out locally 3 times with no problems. The recall seems to have solved the brake hang up problem. Previously we had some ocassional brake drag.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:

Thanks Barney
Your 2011 GeorgeTown is on a Workhorse chassis? WH gas chassis have been out of production since 2009.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our brakes are working fine with 2500 miles since the recall was done. Also we use the transmission to assist the brakes and extend their life.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2003 Pace Arrow that had the brakes done in October 2010. Have not had any problems since, Just got back from 2000 mile trip to the Florida keys. I live in the mountains of North Carolina and I still manually downshift when on declines to help save the brakes.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Yes 2011 George Town on a Workhorse. Dont know about when they stopped production, but thats one of the reasons we chose this unit.

Barney
Old 12-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #11

Just had my recall completed. I love how a recall cost the owner money. I now have a total of $2400 tied up in the repair ($1600 before recall and $800 after). Does anyone know of any means to recoup these expenses? Small claims court?? Class Action??? The repair facility identified to me that they have had 100's of customers identifying the same concerns. Seems to me that workhorse is side stepping their responsibility by only covering the calipers, when the concern has caused additional damage to the rotors, and sensors. All of which have been replaced on my unit due to this concern.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #12

had my done Oct 5 2010, replace 1 rear rotor ( cracked) & had brakes done while they were in the system (brake pads were at 35% and all were cracked). WH would not cover anything but calipers. Took a 5k trip after and had no brake problems, but had to replace a front seal(leak) when i got home. I agree with windsport WH should pay up there was alot of heat damage but they said not related.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Your 2011 GeorgeTown is on a Workhorse chassis? WH gas chassis have been out of production since 2009.
It appears we own a 2010 with an 09 chassis (I guess). It was purchased through DeMartini RV and in fact is still advertised as a 2011 on there web site, under gas MH. But checking the papers that (I signed) it is clearly a 2010. Opps I didn't even notice. Although it does not matter the year as we really like it and the deal we recieved, its just a reminder to me that I need to pay more attention when doing buisness..Yes I must have been a blond before my hair started evaporating...hehehe

Barney
Old 01-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We take ours in on Friday.

High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote