Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

Life Changes

Recent changes in our family have now put me closer to retiring, selling our home and roaming around for a year or more. We want to get out of SoCal and in the process of seeking out a new place we want to explore. We love our coach but I may be wanting to tow a trailer that exceeds the 5,000lb rating. I am considering a 40 foot range Monoco, Alpine, Tiffin or any others in that catagory. I want the 400+ HP and 1,200lbs of torque. I do not want to spend the money on a new one but I have been looking at several that are around 2004 to 2008. My wife thinks I am nuts for turning in our 2014 for a 10 year old coach but I tell her not to worry since the better quality diesels are long lasting rigs. May only keep it for a couple of years also depending on where we decide to settle. Anyone with experience care to give some opinions and advise on what is a better coach and years to look for and stay away from? When did DEF start coming into play and is that a bad thing? There are some nice looking rigs out there with low miles and less than $100K but if newer is better that is an option too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #2

DEF came in to play in 2010, ours is a 2009 and no DEF required.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Recent changes in our family have now put me closer to retiring, selling our home and roaming around for a year or more. We want to get out of SoCal and in the process of seeking out a new place we want to explore. We love our coach but I may be wanting to tow a trailer that exceeds the 5,000lb rating. I am considering a 40 foot range Monoco, Alpine, Tiffin or any others in that catagory. I want the 400+ HP and 1,200lbs of torque. I do not want to spend the money on a new one but I have been looking at several that are around 2004 to 2008. My wife thinks I am nuts for turning in our 2014 for a 10 year old coach but I tell her not to worry since the better quality diesels are long lasting rigs. May only keep it for a couple of years also depending on where we decide to settle. Anyone with experience care to give some opinions and advise on what is a better coach and years to look for and stay away from? When did DEF start coming into play and is that a bad thing? There are some nice looking rigs out there with low miles and less than $100K but if newer is better that is an option too.

The DPF (diesel particulate filter) which is on any engine built after 1/1/2007, has poorer reputation than the later DEF. A '08 you look at will most likely have the DPF. Earlier will not.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
there is a lot of them out there... seems to be flooded with 40'rs..

i went to mesa az and you could spend a week there checking out 40'rs...

sales guy says everyone is going smaller,.. of corse I was buying smaller

you love the power and ride
Old 06-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
there is a lot of them out there... seems to be flooded with 40'rs..

i went to mesa az and you could spend a week there checking out 40'rs...

sales guy says everyone is going smaller,.. of corse I was buying smaller

you love the power and ride
I saw your new coach when I was browsing online and suddenly you had it. 40 foot is big and I am hesitant because of the places we like to go to. Last week we almost had to use a shoe horn to get the rig into.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2002 Monaco Windsor 38PKD, it is a nice coach. It is a step down from a Dynasty. The total length is just shy of 40', we haven't found many places we can't go or get into. We tow a Jeep GC, can't hardly tell it is back there. Our model year is the last one build on a full steel cage chassis similar to the Dynasty and up. In 2003 the went with an aluminum frame which saved on weight and from what I've heard is still a nice riding coach. They made the Windsor until 2006, it seemed like each year they added some of the options of the higher end coaches.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Life Changes

You are on the right track with those choices in my opinion.
I would add Newmar in there as well.
Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Beaver and Safari are all basically the exact same, really well built coaches from 2000 to 2007.
We have had our 2001 Windsor for 3 years now, and quite frankly wouldn't trade in for most new coaches we have looked at.
It really all comes down to how was the coach maintained over those years.
When buying used please remember this.
The best, the very best coach ever made and not maintained properly is not a good coach.

Did I say please add Newmar to your search. They made some great coaches that well maintained are also still great coaches.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I think DEF is a good thing. It allowed the engine horsepower to be increased and still meet the emission standards. I fill the DEF tank about every 4th fuel fill so is really not a great inconvenience.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I think DEF is a good thing. It allowed the engine horsepower to be increased and still meet the emission standards. I fill the DEF tank about every 4th fuel fill so is really not a great inconvenience.

Gordon is right about DEF. this technology allowed the engine builders to "dial back" the EGR system which was always problematic. Decreasing the EGR effect is what enabled the horse power increase which occurred in 2010.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:09 AM   #10

I was in your boat 6 months ago. I kept my choices to $100,000 or under. I did not want a DPF coach because of the problems. I wanted a side radiator and 38-40 feet. I couldn't afford a DEF coach, too new too much $ though it would be my preference. My father paid over 25,000 to rebuild an 08 ISC with 30,000 miles because of a failed egr cooler. Not to mention the DPF problems I had in OTR trucks. I settled on a pre emissions 07. You can find some 08 coaches with pre DPF engines but they are few and far between. Manufacturers were allowed to use up the engines they had on hand, just couldn't build new engines without DPF destined for on road chassis. My preference was a Dutch star or an Allegro Bus with a Spartan chassis and found some 07's under 100,000 but the wife liked the Vectra 40 TD floor plan and colors. Found it online from a private party and flew from so cal to Nebraska to get it. It took a couple months of looking. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #11

I would buy as new as you can afford. Also dont worry about the size, we have been places that no 40ft mh belongs and as long as you are careful you can get it into some amazing places and i am not talking about rv parks or even campgrounds but out in the woods, desert etc.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #12

You mentioned pulling a tailer. If this is going to have some weight to it, suggest dropping years to remain within budget range, and buy a coach with a tag and BIG BLOCK engine. The Tag will provide more stability and easier handling of a heavy trailer, along with one more set of brakes. another advantage of the Tag, is the shorter turning radius by the Drive axle being set forward. (My 40' Allure with Tag, has a tighter turning radius then our 28' F53 Bounder did.) And yeah, a Tag also does take some basement storage away, as a con, and two more tires to buy every 6-8 years too. The BIG BLOCK (ISM, CAT12+, Detroit) will offer either a 2 or 3 Stage Jake Compression brake, which is real nice fro going down the hills.

And ISL or CAT C9 will get the job one, but not provide the reserve power and braking HP of he BIG BLOCKS.

Some Dynasty's had the big blocks. And the Executive from Monaco is aa good coach and usually always had the bigger engine. Beaver Patiot Thunder, and equivalent Holiday Rambler from Monaco. These all come with the 10Bag or above Roadmaster, a good chassis.

Country Coach Intrigue/Magna/Affinity also had the BIG CAT (Option on the Intrigue, as stock was usually the ISL.)

Foretravel has some U270 -U320's that had the ISM with the Retarder Transmission, a nice combo, and a respected coach.

And Wanderlodges also had some great solid coaches, that would provide these features too.

Yes, the 40' may restrict some campgrounds usage. Though I have found many campgrounds with 32-35' max length ranges, that our coach has fit into without a problem. (Of course, pulling a trailer, already adds to the risk of finding sites. But for sure, still very doable with planning.) You probably already know that many of the problems on getting into a site, will be the road access and or trees overhanging.

Don't think your crazy at all. A top tier older coach, well cared for mechanically, will usually be a better coach after 10 years of ongoing usage, then a newer lesser quality coach. Quality lasts.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Old 06-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #13

Forums are great! Being new and uneducated to the diesel world I am learning. What is the difference between the ISC and ISL. Is it the years they are manufactured? It appears the years to avoid are the 08's up to 10 as they have the DPF. The DEF is nothing bad other than another thing to buy and maintain but not bad in any way other than they are newer and more expensive. Monoco Dynasty and Windsor is a fine looking coach and I think 40 feet is max for us.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Forums are great! Being new and uneducated to the diesel world I am learning. What is the difference between the ISC and ISL. Is it the years they are manufactured? It appears the years to avoid are the 08's up to 10 as they have the DPF. The DEF is nothing bad other than another thing to buy and maintain but not bad in any way other than they are newer and more expensive. Monoco Dynasty and Windsor is a fine looking coach and I think 40 feet is max for us.

The ISC is an 8.3 liter engine. The ISL is 8.9 liter. The two engines are contemporaries and are both produced concurrently. They share a block design as the ISL is an ISC with a larger displacement. The DPF is an EPA mandate and is required on all engines built after 1/1/2007 through current production. The DEF is a technique to meet EPS requirements concerning nitrous oxide. All these EPA requirements are cumulative. EGR valves were added for '04 requirements. EPF was added in '07 and DEF in '10. A current production diesel will contain all three. A current diesel costs close to double what the same engine cost in the year 2000.

The Monaco Dynasty may be one of the most bang for the buck coaches in motorhomes.